Us embassy stamp of approval

To meet the amphor marriage requirements, I'm going to get a certification stamp guarantying this is me on my  Passport(I think thats the description) . I guess the embassy stamps a copy of your picture page.

My amphor is requesting this I think!

Anyway upon receiving this and my single status affidavit,I'm going to get them translated to Thai! My question is I'm just coping these two documents to give the translation agency,I'm not letting them keep the originals to present to the ministry right? I'm letting a agent do the translation and ministry leg work instead of waiting around. 

There is so much conflicting information about the amphor requirements to register a marriage. I'm facing the same situation, so the GF/wife-to-be is going to stop at the amphor to ask them exactly what they require. This being Samui, it's probably different from everywhere else.

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

There is so much conflicting information about the amphor requirements to register a marriage. I'm facing the same situation, so the GF/wife-to-be is going to stop at the amphor to ask them exactly what they require. This being Samui, it's probably different from everywhere else.

Tell me about it lol

The GF and her friend who works at the Amphor both speak English lol.

I asked ,Do I need a certified stamped copy of my picture page issued by the US embassy translated or  Does the Amphor just use two guarantors from the village to verify me and sign my copy of the picture page of the passport. They don't seem to grasp what I need! So when in doubt! I'm doing the certified by the US embassy then have it translated and brought over to the ministry

The GF asked at the amphur and they told her that they needed the declaration of singlehood (my word) from the US embassy, an official Thai translation, and some document from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok once I have the singlehood declaration and translation done. They didn't say anything about the passport at all, so I'm going to have her ask them specifically about that.

9 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

The GF asked at the amphur and they told her that they needed the declaration of singlehood (my word) from the US embassy, an official Thai translation, and some document from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok once I have the singlehood declaration and translation done. They didn't say anything about the passport at all, so I'm going to have her ask them specifically about that.

It's my understanding some Amps do ,some Amps don't  want a  certified passport to be translated. I'm gonna get this to be on the safe side because of the language barrier, then have it translated then a Thai will do the leg work by bringing everything over to the ministry. 

I'll be starting this in BKK on Aug 7 with my Embassy appt on the 8th . I have a  Thai lady  who has done the leg work of having the documents translated and  brought over to the Ministry for some other friends helping. 

29 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

What province is your Amphor?

39 minutes ago, riclag said:

It's my understanding some Amps do ,some Amps don't  want a  certified passport to be translated. I'm gonna get this to be on the safe side because of the language barrier, then have it translated then a Thai will do the leg work by bringing everything over to the ministry. 

I'll be starting this in BKK on Aug 7 with my Embassy appt on the 8th . I have a  Thai lady  who has done the leg work of having the documents translated and  brought over to the Ministry for some other friends helping. 

If I don't need to have it, I'll save the $50 that they charge at the embassy for the passport, plus whatever a translation might cost.

38 minutes ago, riclag said:

What province is your Amphor?

Surat Thani, though Koh Samui seems to be in a world of its own when it comes to conformity with laws, rules, or regulations. They just make it up as they go.

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

You are correct. Declaration of singlehood notarized at the Embassy. That needs to be translated along with your original marriage certificate from the US. Then you have everything certified from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Bring all this to the Amphur office and you're good to go to get your marriage certificate of Kor Ror 22. Of course your wife needs her Thai Id and best to bring along her Tabian Baan.

11 minutes ago, racyrick said:

You are correct. Declaration of singlehood notarized at the Embassy. That needs to be translated along with your original marriage certificate from the US. Then you have everything certified from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Bring all this to the Amphur office and you're good to go to get your marriage certificate of Kor Ror 22. Of course your wife needs her Thai Id and best to bring along her Tabian Baan.

Marriage certificate ? You mean the certificate of divorce absolute

Edited by riclag

On 7/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Well, actually it's same same but different than everywhere else.

15 hours ago, riclag said:

Marriage certificate ? You mean the certificate of divorce absolute

The US embassy website makes no mention of this. In fact, the affidavit that they want filled out specifically states: "9. The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement. Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein."

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

The US embassy website makes no mention of this. In fact, the affidavit that they want filled out specifically states: "9. The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement. Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein."

The US embassy doesn't mention "singlehood " either. And the other poster mentions Marriage certificate ,which is also misleading.

So it appears I was wrong, correct me if I'm wrong on this again

The US Embassy is only issuing a affidavit! If upon request by someone, a certified copy of a passport to be translated into Thai than stamped at the Ministry than all taken to the Amphor. The Amphor is the one who might upon request see the proof of divorce which I presume should also be translated(divorce absolute). Sorry about the confusion 

US Embassy: Note: An affidavit is a self-sworn statement, NOT a guarantee or certification of single status. Ensure you are prepared to provide proof of divorce, death, etc., to an Amphur should they require it.

IMPORTANT: Some Amphurs require a certified copy of your U.S. Passport. Check with your Amphur before coming to the Embassy as there is an additional service fee for a certified copy of a passport.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

The US embassy doesn't mention "singlehood " either. And the other poster mentions Marriage certificate ,which is also misleading.

So it appears I was wrong, correct me if I'm wrong on this again

The US Embassy is only issuing a affidavit! If upon request by someone, a certified copy of a passport to be translated into Thai than stamped at the Ministry than all taken to the Amphor. The Amphor is the one who might upon request see the proof of divorce which I presume should also be translated(divorce absolute). Sorry about the confusion 

US Embassy: Note: An affidavit is a self-sworn statement, NOT a guarantee or certification of single status. Ensure you are prepared to provide proof of divorce, death, etc., to an Amphur should they require it.

IMPORTANT: Some Amphurs require a certified copy of your U.S. Passport. Check with your Amphur before coming to the Embassy as there is an additional service fee for a certified copy of a passport.

That's pretty much my understanding of the situation also. I'll find out. Waiting for the appointments calendar to open for September so that I can make an appointment at the embassy.

13 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Waiting for the appointments calendar to open for September so that I can make an appointment at the embassy.

They will be shown on the 1st of August. They open the next month on the first day of the month.

The U.S. "Affidavit of Freedom to Marry", which I think is a more correct term than a document of "singlehood", has the same amount of truth as the old U.S. "Income Letter".  All that the U.S. Embassy/Consulate does is verify the identity of the person signing the document -- they don't verify the contents of the document.

You won't believe how many "unmarried, never-had children" guys get married to nice, unsuspecting Thai ladies here without bothering to divorce their American wives first.  Then when they pass away without a Final Will, the American wives and children somehow have a way of emerging to make full claim to his assets, leaving the "Thai wife" in the lurch.  Thai ladies have been evicted from condos, had their vehicles taken from them, left without widow's pensions, etc all because their "husbands" thought no one would "find out" about their U.S. wife.  Of course, a simple Thai Final Will would have prevented this, even if they didn't bother to get an American divorce.

20 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The U.S. "Affidavit of Freedom to Marry", which I think is a more correct term than a document of "singlehood", has the same amount of truth as the old U.S. "Income Letter".  All that the U.S. Embassy/Consulate does is verify the identity of the person signing the document -- they don't verify the contents of the document.

You won't believe how many "unmarried, never-had children" guys get married to nice, unsuspecting Thai ladies here without bothering to divorce their American wives first.  Then when they pass away without a Final Will, the American wives and children somehow have a way of emerging to make full claim to his assets, leaving the "Thai wife" in the lurch.  Thai ladies have been evicted from condos, had their vehicles taken from them, left without widow's pensions, etc all because their "husbands" thought no one would "find out" about their U.S. wife.  Of course, a simple Thai Final Will would have prevented this, even if they didn't bother to get an American divorce.

I really hate scumbags. ????

Fortunately, I have a copy of my divorce papers from the US court which I will take with me, just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to the us embassy for a single affidavit .
What is the intention of this,understand your doc.What is the reason to state this.Its swearing that your divorced or single right.
“For us to notarize your documents, you must:
o Understand your document. We are not allowed to explain the contents to you;
o Complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive (but don’t sign it; you’ll sign it at the Embassy in front of a Notarizing Officer)”;

37 minutes ago, riclag said:

What is the intention of this,understand your doc.What is the reason to state this.Its swearing that your divorced or single right.

I would say it is stated that so that you cannot complain if things go wrong.

The cannot help you with it since they do not have the authority to do it.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, riclag said:

Isn't sworn statements of "singlehood" imply that one is divorced if married before? If it is the proof, US embassy will ask for proof. As usual, US embassy never asks for any proof for a sworn statement. It is your responsibility for the veracity of your statement. 

When filling out the affidavit it ask for the name of who I was previously married to .I used her first name and my last name.This was a bit confusing .I didn’t know if it was referring to her maiden name before she married me

I went to the embassy today .I have been having difficulty getting the correct info to meet the requirements for the Amphor.The issue for me has been whether or not I need a certified copy of my passport page or just a copy .Finally it was confirmed by the person that is presenting the docs to the Ministry ,I need it certified by the US embassy .
She also wanted a copy of my bride to be ID ,a copy of my visa page and I had to sign that she was representing me through power of attorney . She will have it translated and present it to the ministry.She will go back in three days ,obtain it and mail it off to me up here

10 hours ago, riclag said:

I went to the embassy today .I have been having difficulty getting the correct info to meet the requirements for the Amphor.The issue for me has been whether or not I need a certified copy of my passport page or just a copy .Finally it was confirmed by the person that is presenting the docs to the Ministry ,I need it certified by the US embassy .
She also wanted a copy of my bride to be ID ,a copy of my visa page and I had to sign that she was representing me through power of attorney . She will have it translated and present it to the ministry.She will go back in three days ,obtain it and mail it off to me up here

That's very interesting. I have an appointment at the embassy, so I'll make sure to ask for a certified copy of my passport just to cover my ass. To me, the worst part of this is that it's making me go to Bangkok, a place that I have successfully avoided for 35 years. ???? Five days back in 1983 was more than enough and I hate big cities anyway.

That's very interesting. I have an appointment at the embassy, so I'll make sure to ask for a certified copy of my passport just to cover my ass. To me, the worst part of this is that it's making me go to Bangkok, a place that I have successfully avoided for 35 years. [emoji851] Five days back in 1983 was more than enough and I hate big cities anyway.

For me it’s always the language barrier that has prevented me from meeting the requirements .The 6th grade education ,empathy of saving face and asking questions all have contributed to confusion.But I see a rainbow at the end .Hopefully the amphor and the IO will act in our favor
Good luck.
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2019 at 8:46 AM, GalaxyMan said:

That's very interesting. I have an appointment at the embassy, so I'll make sure to ask for a certified copy of my passport just to cover my ass. To me, the worst part of this is that it's making me go to Bangkok, a place that I have successfully avoided for 35 years. ???? Five days back in 1983 was more than enough and I hate big cities anyway.

How did things go for you,in regards to your Amphour passport requirements?

5 hours ago, riclag said:

How did things go for you,in regards to your Amphour passport requirements?

Right across the street from the embassy is a big office building, can't remember the name, where TSL has their offices. They seem to be a aggregator of visa stuff for various foreign embassies. They did the Thai translation of the papers that I got from the embassy, certified passport copy and the declaration of being eligible to marry, and mailed them to me. Took less than a week and cost 2,000 baht/document. We went to the amphur yesterday and they told us that the only paper missing was a medical certification for the wife stating that she is not pregnant. We were told that we were #5 in line and that they would contact us when the head guy was ready for us, to wait until then to get the medical paper, as it's only valid for a few days. It seems that it's not going to be a problem.

Edited by GalaxyMan