King Power Mahanakhon SkyWalk amongst the most expensive views in the world

webfact

The Shard is most expensive view in Europe

David Buckley

2019-07-08_132616.jpg?w=1106&ssl=1

Going up in the world for the best vantage points is not cheap, survey reveals

The view from The Shard tower close to London Bridge is the most expensive in Europe, according to the online comparison and search portal, TicketLens.

The portal has published a list of the most expensive views around the world. The study firstly uncovered the 100 tallest buildings around the globe with observation decks and then selected the 75 with entrance fees.

The_View_From_the_Shard_8367215057.jpg?w

The observation deck at The Shard

The final ranking includes the height of the tallest viewing platform, the price of admission, and the price per metre above ground in a bid to show the monuments that offer the highest platforms for your pound.

Observation decks and skylines are a popular attraction for sightseers enjoying a city-break, offering time for reflection and relaxation. The study aims to help holidaymakers plan ahead and enjoy the high life without the need to break the bank.

The following table includes the ranking of the top 20 most expensive views worldwide, including year of completion, height, ticket price and price per metre.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/shard-view-most-expensive/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

6 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Why is the price not listed in the article?

Oh yeah, click bait. 

Page 1 ( I think) no 13 of the site listed will give you the price

Edited by RJRS1301

The indicated entrance fee to the KP Tower at $32.99 is a bit on the high side for us elderly expats. So, luckily, based on a few Youtube videos, those 60 or over can get in for Bt250. Sounds like a good deal. 

This is also confirmed by the KP Tower booking website.

• Thanks 1

It's a great building, but as it's in a quietish district, the views from there are far from being the best in Bangkok. A friend lives in a condo in Sathorn 10 and at least from the rooftop of his place the tower is included in the view. Otherwise, cityscape views are more interesting a bit closer to the downtown area. 

• Like 1

If the quality of the experience is there and the view is as dramatic as advertised,

I don't see any reason why they can't charge top dollar. 

Regrettably, Somchai and his band of cronies will eventually mess it all up -

dual pricing, raise the prices when the going gets tough etc.

I went there about a month ago.  I thought it was worth the price but I got in for the senior rate.  The elevator ride up was pretty neat.  Projected on the walls a video of flying around Bangkok, makes it feel like you are not moving straight up.  The glass skywalk was scary and fun.  Great views.  The worst part is when you go back down you come out on the 3rd floor and have to go through a maze, much like in Ikea, of Kingpower shops for 3 levels to get out.

I don't know how many of the others have a glass deck for you to walk on 314 meters up in the air.  So that brings more value to this one.  Image may contain: 2 people, including Ron Williams, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

Edited by rwill
  • Thanks 1

They set the price people can pay, nothing to do with the actual cost.

I went there and was disappointed:

- You can't enter with a drink but they sell 200baht water up there

- You're dropped in a literal maze of luxury shops when you try to exit

- Their green-screened photo-shoot is crap and super expensive.

PS: I visited the Grand Canyon's Skywalk, the ticket is packaged with other stuff and more expensive but it's a much better tourist attraction.

Edited by yokat

5 hours ago, yokat said:

They set the price people can pay, nothing to do with the actual cost.

I went there and was disappointed:

- You can't enter with a drink but they sell 200baht water up there

- You're dropped in a literal maze of luxury shops when you try to exit

- Their green-screened photo-shoot is crap and super expensive.

PS: I visited the Grand Canyon's Skywalk, the ticket is packaged with other stuff and more expensive but it's a much better tourist attraction.

A skywalk over a massive geological formation is more impressive then a building - who'd have thought?  Guess what - I went to Iguazu falls and it was much more impressive than any shopping centre I've ever been to.  

You may have been disappointed but most people are not - TripAdvisor reviews are overwhelmingly positive, massively so.  I think it is worth the cost.

And do you expect drinks in a 78th floor rooftop bar of a luxury hotel to be cheap?  Vertigo charges 310 baht ++ for a small can of Asahi, and they even bring it to you in a can and don't try to pretend it was a bottle!  But the place is amazing so that is their right - no one forces you to buy it.  When I go there I pay.  

Green screen photos are crap but you don't need to do it.  Shanghai tower has a really crap and expensive green screen photo - I didn't buy it.  Burj Khalifa also has one.  Didn't buy that either.  

• Like 1