Non-O extension. Next Year Must Have Health Insurance

9 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Where do you get your ideas about that I would be bitter. I am just stating that you should be smart and buy an insurance the first year you settle down in a country

By that very statement you are implying that people who don't do what you do are stupid - like I said - this is your choice how you do things not mine and I am far from stupid

up to you how you do things - stop being condescending to others who do things differently - that is their choice 

you are now trolling the same points over and over on this thread - we all understand what your choice - please continue to pay your insurance premiums and good luck with that when you are +70 years of age 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I disagree. If this is going to be implemented, the sooner I know, the better. I want enough time to choose my plan of action. I hope others will post any info from government sources, confirmed or otherwise,  when they hear it. Though it is understandable if they don't, considering the bashing they may get on this forum as the bearer of bad news.

Even their confirmed announcements more often than not turn out to be false or confusing information - the mandatory Non O-A insurance from 1st July hasn't materialised yet for example. And back in January everyone was cheering as Big Joke spoke of plans to abolish 90 day reports... then three months later he was kicked out of office, and Big Oink had revived a long dormant rule on 24 hour reporting. This is far from a foreigner friendly or trustworthy administration. 

So as far as I'm concerned, any information from any source is welcome and important in trying to navigate the muddle. Thanks for posting it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would anyone want outpatient cover only? Coverage for a cold but no coverage for appendicitis or heart attack. Crazy!!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

I have other coverage with another policy but no outpatient coverage with that policy.  Quite common actually as it reduces the payment by a lot with little risk.

So I would just buy the outpatient to cover the Immigration requirement and not really to buy insurance.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Even their confirmed announcements more often than not turn out to be false or confusing information - the mandatory Non O-A insurance from 1st July hasn't materialised yet for example.

That was said quite a bit about the 400k in the bank all year long, wasn't it?  How long did that take to implement?  A few weeks?

Edited by marcusarelus

7 hours ago, fishtank said:

The cost is a huge amount for very little cover.

A couple of months ago I researched several policies from the list of Thai companies listed for the O-A visa and for my age, if accepted, the premium was roughly 85-90K ($2800US) baht for slightly more than the 400/40 ($13,000US) required coverage.  However, Cigna quoted 30 million baht ($1 millionUS) coverage for 142K ($4600US) baht so essentially you get 77 times the coverage for less than twice the premium of the Thai companies.  

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That was said quite a bit about the 400k in the bank all year long, wasn't it?

When the new retirement extension rules came in, there was a lot of official comment that the residual 400k would serve as a buffer zone for medical expenses etc. 

400K is nothing. My cancer treatment in Private BKK hospital is roughly 350K every 2 weeks and will go to 900K every 3 weeks with the next step.... This is mostly newest kind of medication for immune therapy and targeted therapy. 400K will not even pay for basic stent surgery or similar. Do basic insured people have access to this at public health care? MS>

1 minute ago, Curt1591 said:

I really wonder just how much uninsured expats actually cost Thai hospitals. I know I already donated close to 2 mil!

I think very little. It's impossible to get admitted without registering, and even a foreigner who walked out of a hospital without paying the bill would be easy to track down. I remember an explanation some months back that the bulk of the unpaid bills problem was caused by foreigners from neighbouring countries such as Myanmar and Cambodia, who often had no money to pay and would disappear after treatment. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

By that very statement you are implying that people who don't do what you do are stupid - like I said - this is your choice how you do things not mine and I am far from stupid

up to you how you do things - stop being condescending to others who do things differently - that is their choice 

you are now trolling the same points over and over on this thread - we all understand what your choice - please continue to pay your insurance premiums and good luck with that when you are +70 years of age 

I will still pay the same low premium when I reach that age according to my terms and conditions for my insurance.

I am sorry if I have been condescending, but it might be that you do not actually understand what I write. My main point is that if others opinion differs with mine, then they also must be happy with their choice, right? Why then so much complaining?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

You, like many Americans have been brainwashed by years of slick marketing that makes you think for profit medical care is the only way.  Look around the World-  the majority of the industrrialsed World  has National healthcare coverage-  only the US has  the type of medical care that forces people into bankruptcy.  It doesn't happen in Europe-Australia-Japan-UK-Canada- or even Mexico.   Wake Up!!

Don´t mix me with americans, I am not american. You are the second one that believes that today. ???? 

Like I said, if a Thai person choose to reside in France then they are not covered. 

2 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Good luck with that. Lol.

I would know. I have been using it, and I have been paying it for the last 14 years.

By the way, I don´t believe in luck. Luck is just a tool used by those who make bad predictions.

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

because this thread is implying that people are going to be forced to pay for something they neither want or need - it is a scam and nothing more

Nope, it´s not a scam. It´s a new requirement that is totally in line with protecting the country´s interest and save their economy for their citizens.

If this becomes a new requirement, which nobody knows yet, then want is totally irrelevant. Regarding the need. In that case yes, because it´s become a requirement.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 1

The Thai insurance policies available on the longstay website have been designed with the foreigner in mind.

The premium vs coverage ratio should not worry the rich foreigner. It's similar to visiting a national park and paying 10 times more than a Thai. 

Difference being, one can skip the national park, but they won't skip this if they want to live in Thailand, unless they go the agent way. 

Agents will want more to help with this also.

So to recap:

You go the agent route, percentages of that money go to Immigration. And further cuts go up the pyramid. Since everybody has to be fed well.

You go to one of these mafia approved insurance companies that are Immigration preferred, and the cuts go directly to the upper side of the pyramid.

Happy shopping!

Edited by lkv

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, it´s not a scam. It´s a new requirement that is totally in line with protecting the country´s interest and save their economy for their citizens.

it is a scam and may I remind you that the Thai economy comes mostly from foreigners - either in country or from outside, your economy would collapse without us

remember that

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

it is a scam and may I remind you that the Thai economy comes mostly from foreigners - either in country or from outside, your economy would collapse without us

remember that

Thailand has the 8th largest economy in Asia and most of the income comes from industry.  Only 20% from tourism and most of that from China.

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

remember that

What? My economy? I am not Thai, I referred to their economy.

A second WHAT? Are you really that naive, so you belive that you as a foreigner is a part of the biggest contribution to the Thai economy? But please? Did we just touch pre-school level or is that hubris fitting you well? In 2017 was tourism only 10,4% of Thailand GDP. Can you then, understand how much bigger that sector is, than the people that are living in Thailand or contributing with money from outside?

Together with chinese and all migrant workers, the total population of foreigners in Thailand is about 4.5-5 million, which stand for smaller than 7% of the total population. Regarding the expat community based on how many lives here om retirement visas, that would be arounf 100 000-120 000 people.

Please explain your outrageous unbelivable facts a little bit more.

Bottom line is, if it happens then we need to do it to stay here and if it remains at the high premiums via insurance companies then it is a full scam so bend over. And if it doesn't, better, but then we will wait for the next hurdle to jump from them as it won't take them long to think of something. We are sort of like guinea pigs seeing how many prods and pokes we can take.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thailand has the 8th largest economy in Asia and most of the income comes from industry.  Only 20% from tourism and most of that from China.

read my post again - you will notice the word abroad - meaning exports of which tourism is actually a part of - and BTW 20% of income from tourism is a huge chunk of income no matter how you look at it - Thailand would suffer greatly 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Now it looks as if more income will be coming in from the customs department nabbing a certain percent of what foreigners bring in or ship via web.

-Your computer looks new.

-No it isn't!.

-Pay the duty!

19 hours ago, elliss said:

Hold on there , we may die before our next immi interagation . 

Think positive ...

Never thought of that...I like it though, thx!!!

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

read my post again - you will notice the word abroad - meaning exports of which tourism is actually a part of - and BTW 20% of income from tourism is a huge chunk of income no matter how you look at it - Thailand would suffer greatly 

Tourism is not a part of exports as recorded by financial statistics for computation of GDP.  Immigration can do their worst to us expats and only effect tourism a percent or two.  

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Bottom line is, if it happens then we need to do it to stay here and if it remains at the high premiums via insurance companies then it is a full scam so bend over. And if it doesn't, better, but then we will wait for the next hurdle to jump from them as it won't take them long to think of something. We are sort of like guinea pigs seeing how many prods and pokes we can take.

About 61k per year payable in two installments.  If you can't hack that it's bye or the agent route.  Depending on who certifies the insurance - now's there's the job to have.  Insurance rectifier/certifier gotta be worth 10 mil a year for sure.  

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

I really wonder just how much uninsured expats actually cost Thai hospitals. I know I already donated close to 2 mil!

I would make an educated guess that real 'expats' (as opposed to immigrants or tourists) have cover through their employment. 

It is therefore likely that expats cost the Thais nothing at all.