Expat workers prefer Vietnam to Thailand: HSBC survey

rooster59

Expat workers prefer Vietnam to Thailand: HSBC survey

bangkok-chaophrayariver-920x500.jpg.42374a4bb68f45ee7ef4f32a4d434d0c.jpg

Thailand has suffered a slight fall in popularity amongst expat workers, according to a new survey.

According to HSBC’s 2019 Expat Explorer Survey, Thailand ranked in 22nd place, down 1 place from the same survey last year and down 7 places from its rankings in 2017.

The annual survey, now in its twelfth year gathered data from 18,059 expats who had been relocated overseas by their employers via an online questionnaire between March and April this year.

The respondents were asked to give their views on things such as quality of life, political stability, work life balance and disposable income. 

The results of this year’s survey echoed many of the findings from 2018. 

As a destination for expats, Thailand ranked well in the categories for ‘quality of life’ (9th), ‘physical & mental wellbeing’ (4th), ease of settling in (4th) and cultural, open and welcoming communities (6th).

However, its perceived lack of political stability (22nd) was one negative for expats, as was its lack of fulfillment (33rd) for expats - lower than any other country surveyed.

Some of the other positives to living in Thailand for expats centred around income and the amount of disposable income expats have when living and working here. 

A lack of career progression was seen as the major negative for expats working in Thailand, while those with children saw standard of schooling a major issue. 

From idyllic islands and verdant scenery to the crowded capital of Bangkok, the Kingdom of Thailand is a land of contrasts that smiles on expats.

“There’s plenty of sunshine, magnificent beaches and English is widely understood. You can also expect your money to go further. But don’t assume you’ll see first-world standards everywhere you go,” the report said of Thailand.

Regionally, Vietnam, which climbed eight places to 10th, was found to be the most popular country for working expats, ahead of Malaysia (16th), Thailand (22nd), the Philippines (24th) and Indonesia (31st).

Elsewhere, Switzerland was ranked as the best destination in the world for working, beating Singapore to 1st place.

Singapore, which had been ranked in first place for the past four years, dropped down to 2nd, while Canada was ranked 3rd.

With a high quality of life, highly competitive salaries, and stunning surroundings, “Switzerland offers the complete expat package” the report said. 

Read the full survey here.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-13

Numbeo has just published Cost of Living index's for most countries.

The South East Asian countries in the attached list may give some insight into why some countries are considered more attractive than others for expats:

numbeo.JPG

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A lack of career progression was seen as the major negative for expats working in Thailand, while those with children saw standard of schooling a major issue. 

This is music to the ears of the inbred ruling class in Thailand.  Fewer people with education and money mean for less debate.  Vietnam is on its way up, where Thailand is going nowhere.  

The variety of the people who visited Thailand from far away lands all over the world was part of Thailands attraction and what made it interesting and fun to explore.

sure Thailand has the location, tropical climate and happy-go-lucky people too but..

As far as I can see it that has all changed, I assume many visitors can no longer afford it others are put off by the strict rules and enforcement of outdated draconian laws.

no people, no fun, no business, no expats 

amazing..

14 hours ago, brokenbone said:

"as was its lack of fulfillment (33rd) for expats - lower than any other country surveyed."

what is fulfillment ? honest question

Well you know when you are lying in bed after sex, smoking a cigarette.......this is fulfilment ????

2 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Well you know when you are lying in bed after sex, smoking a cigarette.......this is fulfilment ????

Oh is that what the doctor meant when he asked if I smoked after sex? He meant "a cigarette". He looked puzzled when I said I'd never looked

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

This is music to the ears of the inbred ruling class in Thailand.  Fewer people with education and money mean for less debate.  Vietnam is on its way up, where Thailand is going nowhere.  

It started 5 years ago !!!!

Vietnam has the right combination at the moment, to entice tourists & workers alike.

Thailand is just making it harder with every new step they make in the immigration or work permit process!

Thailand is getting a wake up call from many sources but no-ones listening !

40 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The problem is that the wake up call is not in Thai, so nobody in government can understand it.

2 hours ago, phkauf said:

The problem is that the wake up call is not in Thai, so nobody in government can understand it.

I thought English was spoken everywhere!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Vietnam has the right combination at the moment, to entice tourists & workers alike.

Thailand is just making it harder with every new step they make in the immigration or work permit process!

Thailand wants it's version of brexit,out means out,"now mister you go home your country" Thailand will be fine 

20 hours ago, brokenbone said:

"as was its lack of fulfillment (33rd) for expats - lower than any other country surveyed."

Surely,its a combination of all the Factors that Thailand ranked well in.

So why the bad " fulfillment " Ranking ?

Another load Of TOSH

On 7/13/2019 at 3:02 PM, rooster59 said:

its lack of fulfillment (33rd) for expats

Fully agreed and a major contributing factor I am not there permanently. A person can only see so many ladies, or temples. As an expat here in NL, there is so much I can choose to do - museum's, festivals, riding a bicycle and general travel in safety, ease of travel, events throughout different cities, like yoga, or neighbors playing music, or traveling along the canals, and much more. No matter where I go and a lot for cheap or free. There is just not much done to attract tourism outside of the already heavy tourist areas. Things need to be done to entice people to travel and do things throughout the country, not just build another temple or mall. If I'm in Bangkok, 4 things stick out to do: 1) Go to a temple (2) Go to the mall (3) Eat - a large contributing factor as to why Thai's are getting so big, or (4) Find a lady and I have a gf now so that is out of the question.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:02 PM, rooster59 said:

Agreed!! I also think it's about a lack of career progression unless you are willing to pay someone the right amount of money to move up in the company.

I still love the language, the food, the landscapes outside of Bangkok, Thai culture and history (Which I think should be promoted more), and the women, but I 100% understand why Vietnam is the choice for more expats. Even for people traveling, when they ask me between the 2, I'm more apt to say Vietnam. Thailand is and has been becoming more expensive and standards, such as road fatalities per capita and political stability do not seem to be improving much.

21 hours ago, curlylekan said:

Fully agreed and a major contributing factor I am not there permanently. A person can only see so many ladies, or temples. As an expat here in NL, there is so much I can choose to do - museum's, festivals, riding a bicycle and general travel in safety, ease of travel, events throughout different cities, like yoga, or neighbors playing music, or traveling along the canals, and much more. No matter where I go and a lot for cheap or free. There is just not much done to attract tourism outside of the already heavy tourist areas. Things need to be done to entice people to travel and do things throughout the country, not just build another temple or mall. If I'm in Bangkok, 4 things stick out to do: 1) Go to a temple (2) Go to the mall (3) Eat - a large contributing factor as to why Thai's are getting so big, or (4) Find a lady and I have a gf now so that is out of the question.

Agreed!! I also think it's about a lack of career progression unless you are willing to pay someone the right amount of money to move up in the company.

I still love the language, the food, the landscapes outside of Bangkok, Thai culture and history (Which I think should be promoted more), and the women, but I 100% understand why Vietnam is the choice for more expats. Even for people traveling, when they ask me between the 2, I'm more apt to say Vietnam. Thailand is and has been becoming more expensive and standards, such as road fatalities per capita and political stability do not seem to be improving much.

The junta are doing a fine job,Thais have never had it so good,look at those poor Brits

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2019 at 9:53 PM, brokenbone said:

Regard, honor, respect, kindness towards, fair and reasonable visa policy, consistency, effective immigration services, decent law enforcement, traffic safety, public safety and an administration that is accountable to the people. Should I go on? Do you have all day? 

On 7/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, Old Croc said:

Numbeo has just published Cost of Living index's for most countries.

The South East Asian countries in the attached list may give some insight into why some countries are considered more attractive than others for expats:

numbeo.JPG

am i correct in seeing that vietnam has lower accomodation than thailand?  absolutely not 

Archived