Israeli education minister favours gay 'conversion therapy'

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Early leaders of the Jewish religion had a zero tolerance policy for gays in their community.  Periodic raids to round them up and take them to the edge to their country...turn them loose with a stern warning that they would not be welcome to return...It is slightly better now...

That changed as you can see many decades ago for a more accepting society, they got it right long before many western countries

Orthodox still have a huge problem with acceptance, but many liberal rabbis in western countries will perform same sex marriages and commitment ceremonies 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not an expert on that but I do know enough to know that extremely friendly "fraternization" between gay Jews and Arabs is common at least in Tel Aviv.

As is fraternization of soccer players(football), orchestras , and many other cultural activities. 

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Early leaders of the Jewish religion had a zero tolerance policy for gays in their community.  Periodic raids to round them up and take them to the edge to their country...turn them loose with a stern warning that they would not be welcome to return...It is slightly better now...

Nope. It's A LOT better now. 

11 hours ago, Chazar said:

great ,  how  do i  join to  become a gay..........pretty   sure  ill  be  the  only  one  in  the  village

You would very likely be wrong, it's well established that the world / country / village gay & bi-sexual community is much larger than many people realize in all countries.  

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You would very likely be wrong, it's well established that the world / country / village gay & bi-sexual community is must larger than many people realize in all countries.  

It's about the free toasters. People cannot resist the free toasters.

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sure, choose to take the ugly and weird news from some wacky religious nutter in israel and publish it and keep the positive news well hidden...

Sure. A wacky religious nutter who just happens to be the Israeli Minister of Education.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The man is obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed, in spite of being a government minister, but not unsurprising in a very conservative government, headed by a very conservative leader.

Has not read his own legislation it seems, or trying to turn back the clock

Same-sex sexual activity legal?:Legal since 1988 (but no record of enforcement of "buggery" law before this, and the Attorney General declared that laws against homosexuality would not be enforced in 1963)Wikipedia

The Israeli government does have many conservative elements, but Netanyahu is not really one of them. Going though the motions to please the base, yes. Getting his son to stop frequenting strip bars...eh. Guy was married three times, two publicly acknowledged affairs (one during first wife's pregnancy, the second during marriage to current wife). He's conservative much the same sense Trump is conservative....

As for the Peretz, it was obviously a problematic appointment, but a secondary consideration compared to Netanyahu's political survival.

I think it's yet another example of careful-what-you-wish-for. The previous Minister of Education was yet another religious right-winger, and managed to push quite a bit of his agenda during his term, but nothing quite as offensive as the OP. I'm pretty sure the new minister will provide many such headlines while he's in office.

So gay Israelis should convert to Christianity?

JC hanging around with his 12 buddies drinking wine all day, gotta wonder what they did for amusement.

The sad truth is this guy obviously believes there’s some political capital to be made from these remarks.

We see similar behavior from politicians from around the world, pick a minority and target them with bigotry.

Gay rights have come a long way in a remarkably short period of time, but as we see here and elsewhere there is always a pushback.

I personally doubt religion is the real reason, I believe it is a search for power that motivates much hate of minority groups.

Speaking up against this kind of divisive political game strips some of that power.

Well, that and the guy is an idiot.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The sad truth is this guy obviously believes there’s some political capital to be made from these remarks.

We see similar behavior from politicians from around the world, pick a minority and target them with bigotry.

Gay rights have come a long way in a remarkably short period of time, but as we see here and elsewhere there is always a pushback.

I personally doubt religion is the real reason, I believe it is a search for power that motivates much hate of minority groups.

Speaking up against this kind of divisive political game strips some of that power.

Well, that and the guy is an idiot.

I think "this guy" actually believes what he preaches. The political gains being secondary. If it was the other way around he'd be more "manageable". Sometime a zealot is a just a zealot.

Most religious injunctions are related to control and group cohesion. Some of the strongest edicts revolve around sex, as it's harder to control and regulate.

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

So gay Israelis should convert to Christianity?

JC hanging around with his 12 buddies drinking wine all day, gotta wonder what they did for amusement.

Ah so Jesus was gay huh?  would you like to say the same 'joke' about Islam's Prophet?  I'd suggest we leave out such 'speculation' or it might offend.

45 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Ah so Jesus was gay huh?  would you like to say the same 'joke' about Islam's Prophet?  I'd suggest we leave out such 'speculation' or it might offend.

So you support self-censorship in making fun of religion because in some cases it might offend Muslims? How very PC of you.

This story is exaggerated. Overall, the government of Israel does not support a policy of torture of gay people (conversion therapy). Bibi has reaffirmed that he doesn't either and doesn't plan to change the policy towards promoting torture of gay people. It's unfortunate that this hard core ultra religious nut job has a minister's position but his opinions in favor of torture of gay people are not going to be changing the current policy. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This story is exaggerated. Overall, the government of Israel does not support a policy of torture of gay people (conversion therapy). Bibi has reaffirmed that he doesn't either and doesn't plan to change the policy towards promoting torture of gay people. It's unfortunate that this hard core ultra religious nut job has a minister's position but his opinions in favor of torture of gay people are not going to be changing the current policy. 

Apologist nonsense :coffee1:

5 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Apologist nonsense :coffee1:

It's not nonsense. I challenge you to supply evidence that it is Israeli government policy to promote gay conversion therapy. Not holding my breath on that because such evidence does not exist.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not nonsense. I challenge you to supply evidence that it is Israeli government policy to promote gay conversion therapy. Not holding my breath on that because such evidence does not exist.

No need to try and deflect the topic or distort the news report. Please read the article first. Do try to stay on topic :coffee1:

1 minute ago, tubby johnson said:

No need to try and deflect the topic or distort the news report. Please read the article first. Do try to stay on topic :coffee1:

Nice try. No bagel.

I just reread the OP. 

There is NOTHING / BUPKIS in that article that is evidence that going forward it will be ISRAELI GOVERNMENT POLICY to promote gay conversion therapy. Talk about deflection. You haven't provided such evidence again because it does not exist. 

As an aside, the Minister of Justice on Netanyahu's government is an openly gay person. While he probably wasn't appointed because of this (more to do with being a Netanyahu sycophant, and Netanyahu needing a weak Minister of Justice), it goes to show things aren't as black and white as some posters portray. Guess relationship between the two ministers will be awkward.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Nice try. No bagel.

I just reread the OP. 

There is NOTHING / BUPKIS in that article that is evidence that going forward it will be ISRAELI GOVERNMENT POLICY to promote gay conversion therapy. Talk about deflection. You haven't provided such evidence again because it does not exist. 

There is nowhere the poster you're replying to is claiming the Israeli government has such a policy.

So yes, you're deflecting for a bigoted Israeli minister.

There is nowhere the poster you're replying to is claiming the Israeli government has such a policy. So yes, you're deflecting for a bigoted Israeli minister.

That's insulting. I have no regard whatsoever for this Minister of Darkness as the protesters aptly describe him. I'm merely saying his sick opinions in favor of torturing gay people won't actually come to practical fruition in the government that he's in. I support the protesters trying to get him booted but I doubt they will succeed.  

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's insulting. I have no regard whatsoever for this Minister of Darkness as the protesters aptly describe him. I'm merely saying his sick opinions in favor of torturing gay people won't actually come to practical fruition in the government that he's in. I support the protesters trying to get him booted but I doubt they will succeed.  

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, that is not what you were merely saying, but thanks for the, necessary, explanation.

Archived