Flush out unaccredited degrees

Isn't it about time the authorities flushed out all those foreigners working in Thailand with unaccredited degrees?

I'm amazed out how many people freely admit to not having a proper degree and yet have been working in various jobs in Thailand for years on the basis that they have a genuine qualification.

This is not just teachers but many in other positions .... every time they change a job, they show the same dodgy paperwork and immigration accept it they work a way round it. Others work for years in the same job which they gained fraudulently in the first place

It is so easy to check someone's degree on wiki I wonder why those issuing visas or work permits don't bother to check....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education

Maybe employers should be asked to provide evidence that their employees are truly qualified rather than continuing to employ fraudsters?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Others work for years in the same job which they gained fraudulently in the first place 

If they work for years in the same job this means their employer is happy with their work. This just shows that to require the person having a degree is a useless requirement.

11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Isn't it time the authorities start to see these razzia style crackdowns have a very negative impact on tourism and on long time stay expats?

The deeds are maybe necessary, but the continuous bragging about it doesn't really help to project a positive image of Thailand, and certainly isn't helping to stop the decline of western visitors.

It is as if the Thai authorities are imitating the Chinese immigration books.........

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

If they work for years in the same job this means their employer is happy with their work. This just shows that to require the person having a degree is a useless requirement.

Sadly not usually the case. Once an employee has gone through the procedure they don't want to do it again. They also don't want to to get involved with immigration for hiring illegally and it also gives them the upper hand when it comes to negotiating salary.

Thailand has a huge problem through graft nepotism and corruption and with corrupt qualifications and the end product is incompetent management; employing staff who simply cant do the job properly.

At the end of the day, if you are prepared to falsify your qualifications, what other fraudulent acts are you prepared to commit..... the person has already  committed at least one fraud.

Is it really the most concerning issue you have managed to come up with? Why don't you just mind your own business and be happy in Thailand. You are only a farang. Thais don't give a s**t about your opinion and they are right. It is not for us to tell them how to do things when they can't get a proper English teacher in Isaan.

I am a retired teacher, a former physics teacher and head of computer studies. Now I have no desire to ever teach again, particularly in Thailand, but wonder how I would prove my qualification to teach. All of my documents I lost years ago, my teacher's number will be on file at the teachers'pension office, could Thai authorities access that? Just wondering ????

1 hour ago, wombat said:

why flush them out if they are doing there job satisfactorily ?

Because there is not much going on in his life and so he preoccupies himself with other peoples business!.....????????????

Those who falsify qualifications to gain personal advantage in work are behaving unethically and cannot be trusted. If schools claim their English teachers are qualified but are no more than speakers of English, likewise. Those who defend this may have something to hide.

Let me start by pointing out I am not advocating/supporting anything!

It has been my life experience that people manipulate the truth in this regard, often, and also and more widespread on CV content. It's a way to beat the competition and to obtain the job. Rarely is it dangerous and in most cases the people are quite capable of doing said job. The attitude seems to be one of not letting a minor issue stop you. 

Is it correct or legal, probably not, but you would have to look at each instance individually.

Personally I think what is the real relevance of a piece of paper 20+ years old obtained in a subject you haven't used in 20+ years but is required "just to meet criteria" and nothing else ? Seems silly to me and actual experience and ability is more important than said outdated paperwork.

Why bother????

I worked at a school in Sai Mai, Bangkok with many thousands of students and many farang teachers.

Many of whom did not have proper documents- not even fakes

the school simply paid them less than others who did have degrees (personal observation from talking with others at school) school was happy and people were happy to get money

Some were ok in the classroom and others were useless

I'm of the opinion that falsifying degrees is more a UK thing. I've nothing to back this up mind you. Lots of vapid people with degrees as well.

It's not difficult to tell who is not well educated in the teacher's lounge. Usually the work ethic is poor as well.

3 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Why are you butthurt about this, would be the more interesting question.

I think the fact that he relies on "Wikipedia" for his information is enough to discredit any opinion he might present! I'm a little confused by his angst that other people have jobs that he obviously isn't qualified for? I have trouble following his rational that others are making problems for him?

4 hours ago, Bigz said:

Is it really the most concerning issue you have managed to come up with? Why don't you just mind your own business and be happy in Thailand. You are only a farang. Thais don't give a s**t about your opinion and they are right. It is not for us to tell them how to do things when they can't get a proper English teacher in Isaan.

So you are condoning fraud by  teachers?

What about the other jobs?

32 minutes ago, TPI said:

I think the fact that he relies on "Wikipedia" for his information is enough to discredit any opinion he might present! I'm a little confused by his angst that other people have jobs that he obviously isn't qualified for? I have trouble following his rational that others are making problems for him?

Your assumptions about my research and wikipedia would suggest you are somone without a degree?

1 hour ago, bkkgriz said:

Anyone with any teaching credentials is a fool to work in Thailand. Between the hoops and the ridiculous pay and treatment Thailand will only attract unaccredited teachers.

Intereting tat so many have singled out teachers ........they obviously know of some fraudsters themselves.......I was talking about ANY job in Thailand where the applicant has submitted a fraudulent degree or even other document - it seems we are looking at the tip of an iceberg?

2 hours ago, villageme said:

Why bother????

I worked at a school in Sai Mai, Bangkok with many thousands of students and many farang teachers.

Many of whom did not have proper documents- not even fakes

the school simply paid them less than others who did have degrees (personal observation from talking with others at school) school was happy and people were happy to get money

Some were ok in the classroom and others were useless

As said I wasn't in particular referring to teachers but I WAS referring to people who submit fake degrees ...if they never claim to have one then that is a different matter.

I was speaking to an immigration official the other who was very surprised to find that there was a list of fake degrees - or "unaccredited" ones published on Wiki - she immediately looked it up and said she'd printout out for her colleagues....apparently it hadn't occurred to them how easy it was to check up

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Let me start by pointing out I am not advocating/supporting anything!

It has been my life experience that people manipulate the truth in this regard, often, and also and more widespread on CV content. It's a way to beat the competition and to obtain the job. Rarely is it dangerous and in most cases the people are quite capable of doing said job. The attitude seems to be one of not letting a minor issue stop you. 

Is it correct or legal, probably not, but you would have to look at each instance individually.

Personally I think what is the real relevance of a piece of paper 20+ years old obtained in a subject you haven't used in 20+ years but is required "just to meet criteria" and nothing else ? Seems silly to me and actual experience and ability is more important than said outdated paperwork.

I'm sorry but presenting a "degree" as real is fraud and there are no two ways about it. KSR was famous for producing all sorts of dodgy documentation but that seems to ave died........however I know of one instance where a chap issuing fake degrees was ordered $22 million

Fake degrees are potentially dangerous especially in healthcare or engineering, even in teaching it is possible for a complete incompetent to avoid scrutiny for years with hundreds of pupils failing to benefit from proper didactic skills required.

In the west this is a serious offence........Several people with "degrees"  from unaccredited including a fire chief and a dog, have been severely penalized for attempting to use them to qualify for jobs or promotions.  

Why not read the wiki page and find out how many of your friends are posing under fraudulaent qualifications - look at the list and you may recognise some familiar names. They aren't too hard to spot even without the list if you have any idea what a degree is.

5 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

I'm sorry but presenting a "degree" as real is fraud and there are no two ways about it. KSR was famous for producing all sorts of dodgy documentation but that seems to ave died........however I know of one instance where a chap issuing fake degrees was sentenced to 27 years in prison.

Fake degrees are potentially dangerous especially in healthcare or engineering, even in teaching it is possible for a complete incompetent to avoid scrutiny for years with hundreds of pupils failing to benefit from proper didactic skills required.

You missed the point. Skills and paperwork are not necessarily the same thing. You can have a degree in zooology from 1985, but if your teaching English in 2019 it's as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike! Paperwork does not make you proficient, skill and experience does.

Doesn't take a degree to be a better english teacher than most thai schools have, maybe they should get rid of those useless qualifications and start an entry test for teachers instead.

It's more important how you can deal with kids and how you explain to them then worthelss paper from 30 years ago, i don't know how a computer science bachelor would make me qualified to teach english or another topic, i guess it doesn't really...

Archived