What Kind Of Snake Is This?

post-19652-1173940948_thumb.jpganybody know what it is - seen outside my front gate in bang plee.

This is a Striped Kukri Snake. It eats mostly eggs, can bite when attacked but got no venom. Nice little thing and totally harmless.

post-19652-1173940948_thumb.jpganybody know what it is - seen outside my front gate in bang plee.

This is a Striped Kukri Snake. It eats mostly eggs, can bite when attacked but got no venom. Nice little thing and totally harmless.

Careful! He could be a Banded Malaysian Coral Snake http://ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/banded...coral_snake.htm which is venomous, looks very similar (but has a red end to the tail) supposedly only found in Southern Thailand though.

Like all snakes, assume he can bite and leave well alone, cute chap though :o

Whatever it was - it was fast moving and never seen sicne (2 years ago).

How about this fine specimen snapped in the same spot.

Believe this is a Royal Python. I used to have as pet in the UK but i thought was only native to Africa. Probably an escapee (mine did regularly) If i am correct it is a constrictor and not venomous or aggresive but not generally a speedy snake.

An escapee, eh? It definitely wasn't fast moving on the concrete road finish and made no attempt to move away - full tummy maybe. Comical watching the two yaams trying to get it in to a bag without being bit :o

I looked up the identifications of the other snake but the names given seem to be southern Thailand / Malaysia. Anybody else want to take a guess?

Edited by Bredbury Blue

This is a Reticulated Phyton......can be found all over Thailand and South East Asia. No venom. Stranles with great strenth.

This is a Reticulated Phyton......can be found all over Thailand and South East Asia. No venom. Stranles with great strenth.

Definitely a Burmese Python. I have handled large examples (3-4 metres; they grow to 6m) of this and the Reticulated Python on several occasions on my farm. IMO, the Burmese Python is MUCH better natured than the Reticulated Python. The colour of the B.P has more contrast than the R.C.; the B.P. has dark shapes bordered with 'yellow' as shown by the OP's pics.

Definitely a Burmese Python. I have handled large examples (3-4 metres; they grow to 6m) of this and the Reticulated Python on several occasions on my farm. IMO, the Burmese Python is MUCH better natured than the Reticulated Python. The colour of the B.P has more contrast than the R.C.; the B.P. has dark shapes bordered with 'yellow' as shown by the OP's pics.

You are right, I got mixed up. This is a Burmese Python or known as (Molurus), while the Reticulated, I mentioned also know as the Diamond (because of its diamond design).

What farm have you got? I also have a farm up north! We are breeders!!!

You are right, I got mixed up. This is a Burmese Python or known as (Molurus), while the Reticulated, I mentioned also know as the Diamond (because of its diamond design).

Have 195 rai bordering Mae Wong National Park. Did breed beef cattle. Did raise pigs. Currently just growing cassava. I was fully active in the animal side but leave the crop side to my wife. Would like to get back into pigs but the market is just far too undervalued just now. I'm in Nakhon Sawan, where are you? What kind of farming?

Khonwan

PS I've been trying to send this post for ages - the Internet is REAL slow today!

I agree it's a Burmese. A couple have also been sighted crossing the roads out by maprachan where we are. Usually the easiest way to distinguish between a

retic and burm is by the head markings, if you're not sure with the body markings. Retics have a dark line running down the middle of their head

reticulated_python-lg.jpg

while a burm has a V shaped marking on the top of the head.

pd3140628b.jpgburmese.jpg

Not too sure about the comment about the burms nature though - our boy is a VERY temperamental. :o

Di

Just found this thai site with snakes on it. Can't read it cause it's in thai but it's got some interesting snakes in there. Snake Link

post-41514-1174281852_thumb.jpg

Edited by MsFigure

Have 195 rai bordering Mae Wong National Park. Did breed beef cattle. Did raise pigs. Currently just growing cassava. I was fully active in the animal side but leave the crop side to my wife. Would like to get back into pigs but the market is just far too undervalued just now. I'm in Nakhon Sawan, where are you? What kind of farming?

Khonwan

PS I've been trying to send this post for ages - the Internet is REAL slow today!

I got a snake farm up in Uttradit (Sisatchanalai)..300 rai. We breed both types of python (molurus and reticulated), viper snake, common rat snake (ngu nam) and few more types. We are the only ones in Thailand to have CITES for exportation of the skins from the WWF. We are thinking of starting croccos (siamensis) since we have high demand from Europe..but low supply. But still we are searching for a possible partner since we already invested alot in the snake farm. Next time I will post some pics.

Khonwan

I got a snake farm up in Uttradit (Sisatchanalai)..300 rai. We breed both types of python (molurus and reticulated), viper snake, common rat snake (ngu nam) and few more types. We are the only ones in Thailand to have CITES for exportation of the skins from the WWF. We are thinking of starting croccos (siamensis) since we have high demand from Europe..but low supply. But still we are searching for a possible partner since we already invested alot in the snake farm. Next time I will post some pics.

Sounds like a big operation - I'd like to hear more about it. I think the mods should splice this to the Farming Forum.

BTW, locally, we call the Common Rat Snake "Gnu Sing". Non-venomous, as you know, but believed by most Thais to be fatal to cattle (not a view shared by me!). Very tasty too!

Rgds

Khonwan

Bredbury Blue

"You snake ranchers sound very knowledgeable...so my first snake is a Striped Kukri Snake is it?"

Unlike Emilio, I'm just a farmer who happens to have an awful lot of snakes on his land (proximity to forest). I enjoy the thrill of catching them (unharmed - they and me!) and then releasing them (usually) into the forest. I've a dreadful memory though, so usually handle most of them as if poisonous and reach for my book to ID them! Pythons are a bit easier to remember though, given their size. As for your first snake, the following web-page confirms, I believe, that you photographed a Striped Kukri Snake: http://ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/striped_kukri_snake.htm

Rgds

Khonwan

Khonwan or Emilio (and anyone else) - do you recognise this snake that lives in our garden. He's been spotted on a number of occassions, and we know he enjoys eating frogs and I also assume birds eggs, which we have many off in the nests in our garden.

From my little snake book :o , I've identified him as a Spotted Cat Snake (Boiga multomaculata) but I'm definintely no expert and just love finding and trying to identify these beautiful things. Just want to know what he is.

Di

post-41514-1174312075_thumb.jpg

post-41514-1174312237_thumb.jpg

The beautiful Burmese (thanks guys) Python was seen outside my front gate - these little uns were found one year later (in May) dead in the garden when we arrived back after a few days away - never found out who the culprit was but we get lots of cats and used to get at that time regular visits from monitor lizards that live in the khlong and farmer's plaa salid fields next door.

post-19652-1174317000_thumb.jpg

The beautiful Burmese (thanks guys) Python was seen outside my front gate - these little uns were found one year later (in May) dead in the garden when we arrived back after a few days away - never found out who the culprit was but we get lots of cats and used to get at that time regular visits from monitor lizards that live in the khlong and farmer's plaa salid fields next door.

I wish we would get burms at our home. Can burms be kept together in the same enclosure or do they have to be separated?

Sure it was the cats that killed the baby burms? How big were the moniters? Everytime a snake was found around where we lived before, the thais (security) would always kill them unless my husband got there first, where he would catch then release them in nearby bush.

I wish we would get burms at our home. Can burms be kept together in the same enclosure or do they have to be separated?

Sure it was the cats that killed the baby burms? How big were the moniters? Everytime a snake was found around where we lived before, the thais (security) would always kill them unless my husband got there first, where he would catch then release them in nearby bush.

Monitors are full size - 6'? We now tend to get only baby ones with the adults swimming along the khlong next to us. As i've only seen the Pythons each May, i'm interested to see if any appear this year. Worryingly is the maid and mother-in-law reckon they saw two cobras playing / romancing in the garden some weeks back - now that i don't want!

Mr Moderator - how about a snake forum, cetainly see plenty of topics on here on snakes (and cobras in particular)

Khonwan / Emilio - how do you catch the snakes - whats your technique?

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Monitors are full size - 6'? We now tend to get only baby ones with the adults swimming along the khlong next to us. As i've only seen the Pythons each May, i'm interested to see if any appear this year. Worryingly is the maid and mother-in-law reckon they saw two cobras playing / romancing in the garden some weeks back - now that i don't want!

Mr Moderator - how about a snake forum, cetainly see plenty of topics on here on snakes (and cobras in particular)

Khonwan / Emilio - how do you catch the snakes - whats your technique?

I think that is a great idea (for a snake forum).

I have a lot of questions, and I think it would be good to have a section to identify different types too considering they are common visitors to many of our gardens. Also some tips from those experienced in keeping snakes would be greatly appreciated, also information on where to get tools (like hooks/tongs) and other accessories here in Thailand.

Di

There are various ways of catching snakes, depending on their size. Depending on the size of the python we usualy use 2 people. The 1guy pulls the python tail gently, as doing that the 2nd guy rapidly grabs the python by the neck. The python will try to get loose by opening its mouth or tangle in ones arm. Therefore, its good to be in 2 all the time. While the smaller pythons, or common rat snake (ngu sin)...if they are not longer or taller than you, rapidly grab their tail and hold them up. They will not reach your arm or hand!!! They will try, but cant reach. As for the venemous snakes we use a tool to grab them on the neck, then we catch em with our hands.

The way I learned my 1st time to catch a snake (simple way) was to take a big long stick (like from a broom). While the snake swirls, just put the stick between the snake's neck & head and press down, so that the snake cant move its head, then grab his neck. Its not that hard, but once you got for it, go confident and grab em hard.

At the farm, my pythons have laid their eggs just few weeks ago. So at this time of the year, they are not in a good mood....can get reall mean.

BTW, locally, we call the Common Rat Snake "Gnu Sing". Non-venomous, as you know, but believed by most Thais to be fatal to cattle (not a view shared by me!). Very tasty too!

Rgds

Khonwan

Yup the "gnu Sing" or known by others as "gnu nam" are so harmless. Im not familiar with the 1st pic posted on this article. Not sure if it looks like the "Bronze Rat Snake" or known to Thais by " Ngu Ta Ma Pao". Khonwan have you ever seen the KARUN snake or known as the "ngu Chang"? It has a very rough skin. It looks like the trunk of the elephant.

I will be going to the farm by next month and will post some pics!

• 3 weeks later...

I should have asked the following obvious questions upon my photo of the headless baby pythons. Are they burmese pythons also? Are they likely to be related to the big one seen and photed a year before (what's the gestation period)? Are burmese pythons roaming samut prakarn (bang plee) or is this a rare incident or even escapees as somebody suggested?

• 7 months later...

I should have asked the following obvious questions upon my photo of the headless baby pythons. Are they burmese pythons also? Are they likely to be related to the big one seen and photed a year before (what's the gestation period)? Are burmese pythons roaming samut prakarn (bang plee) or is this a rare incident or even escapees as somebody suggested?

Didn't get an answer to my last post a while back, but i saw a huge dead python on the road (at the end of the runway bangna-trat end) so i guess there are plenty of wild pythons in samut prakarn.

Found this beauty (not the wife in background) in our garden - Paradise flying snake (Chrysopelia paradisi Boie, 1827 ).

Just after I took this photo it leapt (flew) into a nearby tree and was gone

post-19662-1174381063_thumb.jpg

I've seen alot of those types of snakes in Bangkok. Not sure what they are either. They're quick to move away, I nearly had one land on top of me once, it fell out of a tree together with a squirrel it had wrapped itself around.

Didn't get an answer to my last post a while back, but i saw a huge dead python on the road (at the end of the runway bangna-trat end) so i guess there are plenty of wild pythons in samut prakarn.

Possibly. In Thailand found north of the Isthmus of Kra