System Restore In Win-xp

opalhort

Is there a way to force WIN-XP (Pro) to create a system restore point at a set time (for example after start-up or before shut-down)?

If not, does anybody have a file which I could run at start-up to achieve this?

I've instructed my son to create a restore point daily but just found out the hard way he did not do so and now he has to go back to five days ago due to a problem with a new game.

opalhort

Thanks for your replies.

The scheduled task thing did not work for me on any of our PCs, apparently because we do not use any passwords to log-in; every PC runs on admin accounts.

I can enter the task but it does not run because no user account has been set.

Any way to overcome this?

If I can't get the scheduled task to work, I'll give the script suggested by rio666uk a try.

opalhort

cant you just create a local admin account and password on your machine?

that would get round your scheduled task problem

we have a local admin account which opens without PW, but obviously scheduled task does not like it because of no PW.

I ever tried to set up an admin account with PW and the result was that from that day on all accounts required a PW, had to re-install WIN to get rid of this requirement!

here is a screenshot:

post-3742-1173955972_thumb.jpg

opalhort

you could set up a local admin account, and set the password to "never expire"

if you cant run the scheduled task without a password then you will need to set passwords, is there some reason why you dont want any passwords on this machine?

the alternative i guess i to add the script that i posted earlier to the startup folder in you or your sons profile, better still add-it to

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

the only problem with this of course is that your machine will go through this drag each time someone logs on... if you leave your PC on all the time no probs... if not it could get a little boring and create you more hassle than its worth.

Edited by rio666uk

you could set up a local admin account, and set the password to "never expire"

if you cant run the scheduled task without a password then you will need to set passwords, is there some reason why you dont want any passwords on this machine?

the alternative i guess i to add the script that i posted earlier to the startup folder in you or your sons profile, better still add-it to

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

the only problem with this of course is that your machine will go through this drag each time someone logs on... if you leave your PC on all the time no probs... if not it could get a little boring and create you more hassle than its worth.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason we don't want to use PWs is simple laziness. We start-up our PCs with the power button in the morning and shut them down in the evening. All PCs run on admin so no need for PWs and no need to log-off/on users (its all in the family and no outsiders have access).

I'll give the script you suggested a try tomorrow to see how it works.

opalhort