Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

6 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

Just another Gofundme beggar who wants others to pay the price for his irresponsible behavior. Anyone can be described as a good person....if only that wee problem of occasional criminal behavior is ignored. Who's going to cry you a sob story next?  

What criminal behaviour? It was a very trivial offence until a few years ago.

I'm sure you support 15 years in the clink for other medieval Thai offences too.

Edited by Sticky Wicket

Wonder who grassed him up?

5 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

There's  more to the story including pics of the kids at this link

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/07/16/irish-uk-man-samuel-birch-thai-visa-prison-thailand/

but still nothing in his own words.

From what I researched his mother died in January and his father died around

March/April of a long term ailment.  I tried to mitigate the main problem of his associates asking strangers for funds by notifying a few local Somerset news outlets in his hometown of his situation. Turns out his father was well known, well respected and had been a longtime benefit to the Somerset community , so , why not let them take him back into the fold to take care of one of their own if possible.  

In retrospect at least he's not on the Interpol wanted list like the German "barbecue enthusiast" or bit coin scammers and worse.    Hopefully he takes this opportunity to improve his situation enough to become a responsible individual.

The responsibility of raising children has a way of forcing people to take life more seriously.   One of the reporters who did an extensive obituary on his father said  he would look into the details of this story. No guaranteed but there may be a change in the direction of his luck. 

Wonder who grassed him up?

10 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

This bloke doesn't seem to be a criminal and looks like he was just keeping his head down looking after his family.

He doesn't need to have worked illegally to have live here.

He probably had income from overseas like a lot who live here on a semi; permanent basis

It costs about 100 Baht a day to keep tourists visa up to date and about two days per month.

This guy is 400 000 Baht up, what he pocketed , rather than getting visas and saved himself 240 days of travelling .

He probably though that I was a right mug keeping my visa up to date 

Edited by sanemax
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Please tell me what were his options once he went onto overstay?

Bonds with family are hard to break away from & there are no positive outcomes if you give yourself up to the authorities.

You go straight to jail with no goodbyes or possessions.

Most civilised countries give you a court date which you can prepare for and get your affairs in order.

Straight to the hellish IDC here (see pic) where it can take a few weeks for the Embassy to even show up.

A lot of people don't even go to jail for murder here, so the consequences are severe for a small misdemeanour.

People thinking that immigration laws are based on these indiscretions are seriously deluded.

They have only changed in the last 5 years and that coincides with the coup.

Good guys in bad guys out!! Don't make me laugh!

There are still thousands of proper foreign criminals living here 'legitimately' using corruption as their vehicle to stay.

This bloke doesn't seem to be a criminal and looks like he was just keeping his head down looking after his family.

He doesn't need to have worked illegally to have live here.

He probably had income from overseas like a lot who live here on a semi; permanent basis

I'm sure all the naysayers full agree with a lot of the other medieval laws in this country too!!

AS82312a.jpg

I literally answered that in the post you're quoting. Try reading before going off on a rant.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:54 AM, Orton Rd said:

I feel sorry for the kids, they will not be seeing papa for at least the next ten years, or will it be a for life blacklist?

Agree, but it's his own stupidity and he deserves to be blacklisted otherwise where is the deterrent for others?

What's the fine for such a long overstay, us there a cap?

2 minutes ago, stament said:

Agree, but it's his own stupidity and he deserves to be blacklisted otherwise where is the deterrent for others?

What's the fine for such a long overstay, us there a cap?

20,000 baht is the maximum fine.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:01 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Yes, it is. But that doesn't help you to get blacklisted. It doesn't change the fact that you've overstayed for so long. 

If you have a valid plane ticket and pay your fine, they'll let you on the plane. 

Only 20k for over 10 years overstay. That's an absolute bargain!

On 7/16/2019 at 3:32 AM, Basil B said:

It is not just the overstay, how has he financed himself? was he illegally working? paid his taxes?

Certainly must been a drain on society if he can not find £1,000 without resorting to "Go Fund Me"

Nether mind he can claim benefits when he gets back to Somerset and even more if he brings his kids back with him.

No can not without difficulty and definitely not bring the wife and kids without accommodation and sufficient income.

1 hour ago, Myran said:

I literally answered that in the post you're quoting. Try reading before going off on a rant.

The coup supporters,  anti druggie rants, Thai bashers,  Pattaya bashers, and vindictive comments reflect the inhuman and ignorant mindset of many people who seem to become embittered while living here. 'Let he who has commited no sin caste the first stone'. The quality of life for tourists,  expats and most Thais has diminished since the coup. This overstayer must have been living a clean stable life not to have come on the radar of the authorities for so many years. If he gets black listed its a punishment for his wife and children. The question is who grassed him up? Unfortunately any number of people on this forum would happily have informed on him if their comments are anything to go by.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

I hear you and a lot of what you say is correct but spare a thought for what we do not know about this guy. All we know is what we read. Could have been a variety of reasons that prompted this overstay. His wife could have been I'll, his kids, you just do not know. Guy looks like he's carrying a lot of baggage so I think there is much more to this guys story.

My wife is seriously ill for many years, but i could always be legal, even without the help of my parents.

Thailand made it clear when they changed the laws and gave all people the chance to clear their overstay and continue to live here.

And yes, I agree with you that there are many things we do not know. Fact is that he can hardly be a good father if he can't even get his visa sorted out.

And yes, there's more to this guy's story. But I'm not sure if that's positive for him. Good day. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

It costs about 100 Baht a day to keep tourists visa up to date and about two days per month.

This guy is 400 000 Baht up, what he pocketed , rather than getting visas and saved himself 240 days of travelling .

He probably though that I was a right mug keeping my visa up to date 

I doubt he knew you. Perhaps its you who think you are 'a mug'.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The coup supporters,  anti druggie rants, Thai bashers,  Pattaya bashers, and vindictive comments reflect the inhuman and ignorant mindset of many people who seem to become embittered while living here. 'Let he who has commited no sin caste the first stone'. The quality of life for tourists,  expats and most Thais has diminished since the coup. This overstayer must have been living a clean stable life not to have come on the radar of the authorities for so many years. If he gets black listed its a punishment for his wife and children. The question is who grassed him up? Unfortunately any number of people on this forum would happily have informed on him if their comments are anything to go by.

If you're going to quote me, please write something that is related to what I wrote. We're not discussing the coup here.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

No can not without difficulty and definitely not bring the wife and kids without accommodation and sufficient income.

Can bring the children if they automatically qualify as British citizens.

You were born on or after 1 July 2006

You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born outside the UK and all of the following apply:

• you were born on or after 1 July 2006
  • your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born
  • your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you

Your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you if they were one of the following:

Basically if the father is British "other than by descent" the children sired by him are automatically entitled to British citizenship. 

Getting them out of Thailand wold be another issue, the mothers permission would be needed, but there again if she needs to go back to "working bar" she may be glad for him to take them. 

4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

What criminal behaviour? It was a very trivial offence until a few years ago.

I'm sure you support 15 years in the clink for other medieval Thai offences too.

No, it's not for me or you to decide punishment. My argument is that HE pays for his decision to flout the law and not others.

• Like 1

This Go-Fund me crap is just that, crap. They got the 1st two letters right <deleted>..ME. I'm ashamed to be Irish if he is part of my ancestry or as we would say "the black Irish" (No racial intent). My wife and I have lived in Thailand for many years and have asked for nothing and given much. We are retired, I'm retired USAF plus many overseas jobs. I do not begrudge my wife's many gifts to those in need particularly those in need, real need, not GO ..FMe people. I'm surprised you bother to print these letters that allow the lazies of the world leach and leach and leach.

8 hours ago, oldrunner said:

I'm ashamed to be Irish if he is part of my ancestry

He's not remotely Irish, his family is from Somerset. I think the confusion was most likely caused by the front cover of the UK passport, which is titled "European Union - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", with Northern Ireland taking up the most space. When my last rental contract was drawn up, my landlord made the same mistake, assuming my nationality as Northern Ireland due to it's prominence on the passport cover. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I agree he has to be arrested. Being caught on overstay has always warranted this

However, that's as I'm willing to go in terms of what happens next.

A dog and pony show for the media & then bundled straight into a cage is way over the top.

Why not tag him and allow him to sort his affairs out before a court date and deportation.

Completely uncivilised, but then again it's par for the course in a 3rd world Junta country.

People talking about sending him to Bang Kwang??!! 

That's a maximum security prison & pretty much a death sentence. 

If people talked like this in their respective countries they would most likely end up in hospital eating through a straw.

You do realise that people sometimes exaggerate on TV  , especially when it comes to dishing out punishments for crimes .

Its like a competition to see who can be most severe 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You do realise that people sometimes exaggerate on TV  , especially when it comes to dishing out punishments for crimes .

Its like a competition to see who can be most severe 

Not sure I reckon there are some real sadists lurking in Thailand!

• Like 1