Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

snoop1130

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t need this little halfwits, to give me his bullshit. I’ve been doing 6months about for the last 20yrs in Pattaya I just walk around with my eyes open. The place is dying almost on a daily basis it’s like the beach washed up. Vietnam for me in future. 

17 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Keep opening more brothels (aka bars) and pimping land's daughters for marriage to 30-years older sexpats, your tourism revenue will be stable by destroying your exports due to strong baht and it will be good for all - brothels, pimps, and sexpats. 

You make that sound like a bad thing

13 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

So what about those in transit ? What about those who are doing visa runs, what about those who make multiple trips in a year ? Are business people counted as tourists ? Are those who fly into Bangkok and then onto Phuket counted twice ? If a family arrives with 5 children and mum and dad, is this 7 tourists ? Are workers from surrounding countries counted as tourists?

Just a few "trick questions" that I would like answered.

All included (except the BKK to HKT transfer), which is why they keep using "arrivals" when talking actual numbers but "tourists" everywhere else so they cannot be called on it.

Frankly, there are a lot of people in denial. The flow of money isn't what it was 20 years ago. Gone are the smiles. Here to stay is the plastic, air pollution and grungy buildings that have a air of decay and lack of maintenance. The beaches are polluted. The watering holes are dismal if that is your fancy. What else is there? 38 degree temeperatures. It's a global miscella.

24 minutes ago, Lashay said:

All included (except the BKK to HKT transfer), which is why they keep using "arrivals" when talking actual numbers but "tourists" everywhere else so they cannot be called on it.

I've already 'arrived' in Thailand 4x this year, doing my bit for TaT tourist statistics.

Although I'm actually a tourist in the other countries where I spend all my discretionary money.

5 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

There are speculators at work and this is driving up the Baht (just like before 1997 crash).

I have also thought about this similarity and with all the house hold debt out there when the next crash happens there'll be plenty of cheap pickups and tractors for sale and the price of motor bikes will go up.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Exporters are losing more money and importers are making more money.  Because the baht is strong and the pound and dollar are weak.  

Exporters (the poor),Importers(the rich)."The rich get richer and the poor get the picture."Midnight Oil.

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Exporters (the poor),Importers(the rich)."The rich get richer and the poor get the picture."Midnight Oil.

Since Thailand is the world's 10th largest exporter of cars and one of the largest exporters of computer supplies you are totally incorrect.  Exports were USD 21.02 billion in May 2019.  Does that strike you as poor?

1 hour ago, madmin said:

Well it's keeping me away, it'll keep investors away too, I'm just curious as to why the baht is so strong seems something is very wrong. Ps have they elected a new government yet

Baht is strong because people are buying it.  But the major reason is not so much the baht is strong but the other currencies are weak because of things like Brexit and Trump.  

Well then maybe it’s the very poor hygiene standards, or the 3rd world toilet facilities, the rubbish left rotting in the heat, the scruffy and dangerous power lines, the tourist's choking on garden fires, dangerous roads, lack of footpaths, Rats running everywhere, serving meals separately, charging for debit cards, beaches full of plastic or corruption from Police and officials ?

30 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I have also thought about this similarity and with all the house hold debt out there when the next crash happens there'll be plenty of cheap pickups and tractors for sale and the price of motor bikes will go up.

Exchange rate doesn't affect most Thais.

Crash doesn't hurt most Thais either, just property speculators.

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He also said that promotions should be offered for niche travellers, such as family groups as well as people who love sports and adventure, and those who are health conscious.

Pee baby.jpeg

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Exchange rate doesn't affect most Thais.

Exchange rates do not affect most Thais, unless they have a farang. The exchange rate is far from their thoughts. Just having a paid for roof over their heads and daily food is enough for most. We may have 10 + Million people living around the whole and outer Bangkok area but the rest have to live somewhere else in Thailand and they are not being paid big dollars.

Strong Baht not keeping tourist away. Really? So I have to assume that in Pattaya and Phuket everything is fine right now. Beaches crowded of tourists, no complains from business operators, and so on. Then the articles regarding the lack of tourist that I read just a few days ago was fake.  Well I'm glad for you.

21 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Buying luxury goods in Thailand is madness and to do that, you really need to be going somewhere else.

Don't buy luxury goods in Thailand...problem solved. 

"Despite the appreciation of the baht, Thailand has attracted as many as 21.08 million tourists in the first half of this year, marking a 0.81 per cent growth year on year, outgoing Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said."

Hope Phuket and Pattaya hoteliers are reading this - they need a bit of encouraging news!

18 minutes ago, mpyre said:

Don't buy luxury goods in Thailand...problem solved. 

Sure, don't buy this, don't buy that, live on chicken rice all day long and make sure you file your TM30 in time.

Problem solved.

53 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

There are no constants. Gold goes up and down like a whore's drawers.

But it goes up and down in conjunction with other currencies.  How much Thai baht vs pounds sterling did it take to buy a gram 5 years ago and how much today.  In Thailand I get the same amount of gold I did 5 years ago in the UK only 75% as much.  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

But it goes up and down in conjunction with other currencies.  How much Thai baht vs pounds sterling did it take to buy a gram 5 years ago and how much today.  In Thailand I get the same amount of gold I did 5 years ago in the UK only 75% as much.  

And you buy more gold than weekly supermarket shopping or going out in restaurants, do you?

22 hours ago, DLock said:

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I must have read this 10 times.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

Possibly in a very round about way that it is not - yet - a net loss to Thailand.

Archived