Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

snoop1130

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Since Thailand is the world's 10th largest exporter of cars and one of the largest exporters of computer supplies you are totally incorrect.  Exports were USD 21.02 billion in May 2019.  Does that strike you as poor?

I know a few rice farmers (I'm even married to one) and I'm pretty sure most of the other poor farmers in Thailand don't export cars or computer supplies but get income from rice and other farm produce exports so if those get adversely affected then their incomes will presumably get affected which was my point.I'm sure most other exporters will also be adversely affected though a lot of those exporters may not belong in the category of "poor".Here is a link to try and support my weak hypothesis.  https://www.nationthailand.com/Economy/30371051

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thai leadership needs to rethink it's approach to Westerners who wish to stay in their country. Firstly, they have the potential to contribute economically to Thailand in both spendable income and potential employment as well as business development. Instead of making it difficult to do business they should welcome people to do business. They should also make it easier to start a business i.e., not require four employees to begin with. Even Apple corporation was started in a garage. If Steve Jobs had to hire four Thais to work for him perhaps he would never have been able to get his company going! Anotherwords, Apple Corporation could not have been birthed in Thailand. 

Secondly tourist is about creating experiences. These experieces should be determined by a free market. The interference with free markets in Thailand is like the U.S. interfering in it's housing market and then calling the country free! Of course that is why 100's of thousands of people are homeless. The government wouldn't allow the banks to go bankrupt, instead they bankrupted their citizens. This is an example of how duplicitous government everywhere has become. 

Thailand in prior years was the freeist of places. Yes sex was everywhere. I was 40. It was a great experience and the market determined the demand. The demand was overwhelming and so strong that a city literally sprang up and they closed the bars saying "this is now a family resort area". OK. Let's see the government imposed stats on your industry now. Going down the drain my friends. That's what pretending to have a free market does. 

Thais are instinctual about giving the customer what they want. Especially the women. They are survivors and became wives, friends for life and mothers. Government interference will destroy their hopes as well. 

About 21 million people in about 180 days.

That's about 120,000 arrivals every day.

How are they coming?

If it is large planes of about 300 people that is 400 full flights a day.

And some of those are returning Thais.

Just don't see it.

Maybe if you count all the turnarounds at land crossings.

But someone who comes to Thailand then uses it as a base for visiting regional countries gets counted multiple times.

All I know is that when I went down to Chaam beach the other day there was precisely one farang sitting at one of the usually busiest restaurants.

The rest were empty.

The restaurant I go to in HH is now closed a few days a week and the lady is thinking of only opening weekends....no customers weekdays.

A friends condo in Phuket is usually booked full in summer.

Nobody really now for 2 months.

So, there must be a lot of people hiding out somewhere. Just nobody knows where which is strange in a country obsessed with tracking foreigners.

4 minutes ago, Sunnytimes said:

thai leadership needs to rethink it's approach to Westerners who wish to stay in their country. Firstly, they have the potential to contribute economically to Thailand in both spendable income and potential employment as well as business development. Instead of making it difficult to do business they should welcome people to do business. They should also make it easier to start a business i.e., not require four employees to begin with. Even Apple corporation was started in a garage. If Steve Jobs had to hire four Thais to work for him perhaps he would never have been able to get his company going! Anotherwords, Apple Corporation could not have been birthed in Thailand. 

Secondly tourist is about creating experiences. These experieces should be determined by a free market. The interference with free markets in Thailand is like the U.S. interfering in it's housing market and then calling the country free! Of course that is why 100's of thousands of people are homeless. The government wouldn't allow the banks to go bankrupt, instead they bankrupted their citizens. This is an example of how duplicitous government everywhere has become. 

Thailand in prior years was the freeist of places. Yes sex was everywhere. I was 40. It was a great experience and the market determined the demand. The demand was overwhelming and so strong that a city literally sprang up and they closed the bars saying "this is now a family resort area". OK. Let's see the government imposed stats on your industry now. Going down the drain my friends. That's what pretending to have a free market does. 

Thais are instinctual about giving the customer what they want. Especially the women. They are survivors and became wives, friends for life and mothers. Government interference will destroy their hopes as well. 

Well put!

20 minutes ago, Psychic said:

About 21 million people in about 180 days.

That's about 120,000 arrivals every day.

How are they coming?

If it is large planes of about 300 people that is 400 full flights a day.

And some of those are returning Thais.

Just don't see it.

Maybe if you count all the turnarounds at land crossings.

But someone who comes to Thailand then uses it as a base for visiting regional countries gets counted multiple times.

All I know is that when I went down to Chaam beach the other day there was precisely one farang sitting at one of the usually busiest restaurants.

The rest were empty.

The restaurant I go to in HH is now closed a few days a week and the lady is thinking of only opening weekends....no customers weekdays.

A friends condo in Phuket is usually booked full in summer.

Nobody really now for 2 months.

So, there must be a lot of people hiding out somewhere. Just nobody knows where which is strange in a country obsessed with tracking foreigners.

It's a valid point.

I travel in and out of Thailand 12 - 18 times year, so I would be counted 12-18 times as a visiting tourist.

I am not average, but I would expect most people take at least 1 or 2 trips out of Thailand per, visa runners or border runners would be more.

So the whole visiting tourist number may be off by 50% or even more.

They are counting ghosts are make believe that everything is rosy...them ghosts are going to come back to haunt them, and the "rosy" are just tinted glasses.

1 hour ago, lkv said:

And you buy more gold than weekly supermarket shopping or going out in restaurants, do you?

It demonstrates it is not the baht that is strong or going up it is the other currencies that are going down.  They do have gold bar shops close to most supermarkets in case one might want to buy gold - make sure to buy it with baht as opposed to pounds sterling.  

56 minutes ago, DLock said:

It's a valid point.

I travel in and out of Thailand 12 - 18 times year, so I would be counted 12-18 times as a visiting tourist.

I am not average, but I would expect most people take at least 1 or 2 trips out of Thailand per, visa runners or border runners would be more.

So the whole visiting tourist number may be off by 50% or even more.

They are counting ghosts are make believe that everything is rosy...them ghosts are going to come back to haunt them, and the "rosy" are just tinted glasses.

My point exactly.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It demonstrates it is not the baht that is strong or going up it is the other currencies that are going down.  They do have gold bar shops close to most supermarkets in case one might want to buy gold - make sure to buy it with baht as opposed to pounds sterling.  

Apart from the UK, which is a special case with the Brexit and all that, it looks like all the other currencies seem to be going down only compared to the Thai baht.

If you compare them between themselves, you get a different picture.

But why am I bothered entertaining your Thai apologetic posts I wonder?

14 hours ago, jing jing said:

Quite so.

I notice the press release made no mention of any desire to attract more tourists from North America, UK, Western Europe, or Australia.  It would seem Thailand has moved on and has no need for those of us who continually complain about how horrible Thailand and Thai people are, yet malinger here like a stubborn case of syphilis, or bleat from afar regardless.

Let's get over it already.  Thailand obviously has.

I actually agree. There are so many people moaning on here, me included, for what? No one is listening and the Thais don't appear to care. Better to focus that energy on finding somewhere new and putting Thailand behind us. Sad but for best for everyone's sanity.

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

If that's true then it's not very scientific and completely open to abuse.

So a family of 7 only has 2 of which have buying power.

Well no, not really. You tick 'working' and then expect a visa waiver, you'll get knocked back. Tick 'visiting family' and you really should have a visa of some description.

Two might only have buying power but they're buying for seven.

59 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Well no, not really. You tick 'working' and then expect a visa waiver, you'll get knocked back. Tick 'visiting family' and you really should have a visa of some description.

Two might only have buying power but they're buying for seven.

So are they distingishing "Tourists" from "business people" and the amount of visitors is higher or are they lumping them together?

Not really, 5 children don't consume as much as 5 adults.

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

So are they distingishing "Tourists" from "business people" and the amount of visitors is higher or are they lumping them together?

Not really, 5 children don't consume as much as 5 adults.

It's really not that hard.

If you are visiting on a business visa, you tick business. Then show your visa to the IO, who will make sure you ticked 'business' on your TM6.

Kids don't cost as much as adults? You've never been a parent obviously. Half the planet wont breed because of the cost of having kids.

And the lies just keep coming. 

Reality pattaya is done 30% 

Phuket 25%, you jus habe  to walk outside and see for yourself 4 yrs ago it was packed now it's dead. 

But if the government says  it's all ok it must be. 

Hilarious get bad review on Thai tourism make up a story  to say otherwise.  

5 hours ago, lkv said:

Apart from the UK, which is a special case with the Brexit and all that, it looks like all the other currencies seem to be going down only compared to the Thai baht.

If you compare them between themselves, you get a different picture.

Most currencies are down against the USD$ as well.  Most currencies that are down also have economies in the crapper right now, so nothing new or sinister here.

54 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Most currencies that are down also have economies in the crapper right now,

Unlike the Thai economy that is "booming" with a strong baht.

- slowing demand for exports, including from its large electronics and automobile sectors, amid regional economic weakness and persistent US-China trade friction.

- "the economy continues to face multiple headwinds, ranging from weak external demand, an inventory overhang, sluggish tourist arrivals, unfavourable weather, high household debt, public investment delays, and political uncertainty,” analysts at ANZ bank had said ahead of the release.  

https://www.ft.com/content/5e841372-7b68-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560

^^^ *They don't care. Aside from acquiring coin, they're sick of their precious being spoiled by a certain type of visitor (and of a certain type of visible activity of their lower own) and this is the surest way to stifle that... I think. :unsure:

* Upper army echelons / elites - those guys that would make it big in silly baht price scenario.

You will have to try a lot harder to convince Expats that tourism is doing OK.

We know, we travel, we shop, we cross borders, we walk in the streets and

go to Pubs, we know tourism is down in a big way and we know tourists priority is

value for MONEY!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:18 AM, lkv said:

Unlike the Thai economy that is "booming" with a strong baht.

- slowing demand for exports, including from its large electronics and automobile sectors, amid regional economic weakness and persistent US-China trade friction.

- "the economy continues to face multiple headwinds, ranging from weak external demand, an inventory overhang, sluggish tourist arrivals, unfavourable weather, high household debt, public investment delays, and political uncertainty,” analysts at ANZ bank had said ahead of the release.  

https://www.ft.com/content/5e841372-7b68-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560

The Thai economy is not strong, due to the strong Baat orders have dropped off, foreign component  are cheaper to buy but no orders for there use. The thing that's supporting the economy is the foreign currency reserve which could cover all the countries debts . How many retirees with 800,000 B stuck in the Thai Bank with minimal interest for one year repeatedly.

Archived