Thanathorn admits Thais cannot rely on foreigners to fight for democracy

webfact

36 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

The whole fetish over "Democracy" is silly and misplaced. What you need to focus on is good government. The two best led Asian nations over the past century have been Japan and Singapore. Japan was a one party state for most of that time and Singapore a quasi-dictatorship. Discussion of how much better Vietnam is than Thailand nowadays is rife on this forum. Nobody complains about Vietnam having no Democracy whatsoever. 

Whether it is a monarchy, oligarchy, dictatorship, military junta, republic, or democracy, the fundamental marker of a government is its effectiveness in creating a good country. Instead of the constant bickering over the form of government, more focus should be placed on working together to identify problems and promote solutions. 

I have to agree, and must admit I have been using the word "democracy" in this thread somewhat indiscriminately.  I do tend towards it due to my upbringing, and also because it seems to represent an improvement to the existing wildly kleptocratic, wasteful, incompetent, and cronyist system... But then again, what doesn't at this point?

But I'm not married to the idea that democracy is necessarily the most ideal form of government for the Thais, especially when considering that democracies seem to function best with a populace capable of analysis and critical thinking.  Otherwise you end up with a glorified form of mob rule.

I'm just thinking out loud here...as I've said previously, we'll need some exceptional Thais to really answer this question and find the solution.

Edited by ramr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

I agree. I have never encountered a Thai politician like Thanathorn before in all my years in or associated with Thailand. He really is a breath of fresh air. Could he eventually prove to be a sell-out? Of course it is possible. But so far - I see not even the slightest nano-sign of that.

I believe he is far and away the best hope for Thailand's future.

I think he (Thanathorn) has stepped into a vast empty and lonely place in the world of Thai political leadership.He has no competition in this space.On his first foray into Thai politics he gave some an awful fright so much so they banned him,which I believe will come back to bite them.I think one reason the Thai populous has not revolted is that the elite have learnt that slowly turning screws on the people taking as much as they can without exerting to much pressure,but Thanathorn is chipping away and hopefully will soon open the floodgates.He is young and I believe learning quickly.If he succeeds he will remember those that denied his requests for assisstance and as others have mentioned the west has assisted many times countries fights for democracy but for some reason the silence remains deafening in Thailand's case as it always is!     

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I know a lots of dogs that get treated really nice with lots of love and kindness so I see what you mean.

You mean the ones the local temple monks beat with sticks?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, neeray said:

Thank you Eligius for your excellent post. Your first sentence cleared up a repetitive misunderstanding that many posters had. I saw it the same as you. And I see the genuineness of Thanathorn and fully expect and hope that he will one day be the Prime Minister of Thailand.

Up until your post, I kept thinking what a whacky bunch of posts. Again, thank you.

Your last sentence says it all. The fact that so many posters responded as if Thanathorn was referring to them was surprising to say the least.  And bang on about visas, they don't like us, they are doing everything to get rid of us, etc.... A real head scratcher.     

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

To add on to your excellent point, a good country is one that allows people to speak their minds and shape their own and children's future. Democracies are on the average richer than others and have a better record of fighting corruption. That so many people in so many different parts of the world are prepared to risk so much for democracy is testimony to its enduring appeal. 

Thank You.I agree that Thailand would be much better without the shackles of the present regime.There are so many talented people here that people are unaware of giving the impression that Thais are ignorant uneducated and lazy to the those that are ignorant uneducated and lazy.  

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Why would foreigners do anything, when Thais display complete disinterest and complacency. Let 'em rot.

I understand your feelings (a lot of Thais are not all that bothered by the regime under which they live, it is true) - BUT there are many, many mainly young Thais (who largely support Thanathorn) who are pretty furious about what is being done to their country and who are voicing their anger in no uncertain terms on Facebook and other social media.

The only hope for Thailand lies with the young ...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Why would foreigners do anything, when Thais display complete disinterest and complacency. Let 'em rot.

Because we are kind and generous with displays of empathy (not to be confused with apathy) and get all warm and fuzzy when we do something of this nature especially if it is appreciated.Just like helping random strangers who are in need of assistance.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Add Text
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Sounds like a perfect recipe to get scammed by the locals. 

I think I've spent way too long in Thailand. Got just about zero f***s to give.

Yes that thought did occur to me post post (ha ha get it?Sorry)Funnily enough I've only ever been scammed once (well ok twice) in Thailand,it occurred about 20 years ago and it is still going,lost millions of baht so far.Spending to much time in Thailand only happens to those that deserve it,the longer you stay the more you deserve it!Just about zero sounds like there might still be one or two f***s left so all is not lost!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Punctuation.

3 hours ago, usviphotography said:

The whole fetish over "Democracy" is silly and misplaced. What you need to focus on is good government. The two best led Asian nations over the past century have been Japan and Singapore. Japan was a one party state for most of that time and Singapore a quasi-dictatorship. Discussion of how much better Vietnam is than Thailand nowadays is rife on this forum. Nobody complains about Vietnam having no Democracy whatsoever. 

Whether it is a monarchy, oligarchy, dictatorship, military junta, republic, or democracy, the fundamental marker of a government is its effectiveness in creating a good country. Instead of the constant bickering over the form of government, more focus should be placed on working together to identify problems and promote solutions. 

I actually agree with much of your post. 

Democracy, while decent, has various fundamental flaws (like all systems) and may not be well suited to certain peoples. 

I think Asians in particular, with the high priority they place for societal harmony, are not well-suited to the conflict that Democracy necessitates. 

Also, good democracy requires an educated (and optimally selfless) society. Thailand has nothing close to either of these traits. 

I criticize Thais so heavily because rather than acknowledge that they are not interested in actual democracy, their greed and superficiality leads them to incessant pretending. 

China, for example, makes no such silly stage show. They don't do democracy and don't pretend to. I can respect that. Singapore same. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2

Thanatorn is only tell them what they know already..

"  The U.N <or add country> is NOT my father"

Thais learnt it early on and nothing changes now.

He should know and not expect foriegners to intervene anyway, as its against immigration law for foriegner involve in politicts.

(except for the armchair Thaivisa experts)

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

He should know and not expect foriegners to intervene anyway, as its against immigration law for foriegner involve in politicts.

(except for the armchair Thaivisa experts)

I don't think he was asking for any kind of intervention.There are many ways a country can support another countries efforts to achieve their goals.South Africa is an example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

I understand your feelings (a lot of Thais are not all that bothered by the regime under which they live, it is true) - BUT there are many, many mainly young Thais (who largely support Thanathorn) who are pretty furious about what is being done to their country and who are voicing their anger in no uncertain terms on Facebook and other social media.

The only hope for Thailand lies with the young ...

very similar to what's happening in HK and China, new generation don't want their rights taken away... old generation usually are not bothered by the current situation, unfortunately lack of ambition

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

very similar to what's happening in HK and China, new generation don't want their rights taken away... old generation usually are not bothered by the current situation, unfortunately lack of ambition

Indoctrination is a powerful thing, but that same indoctrination fuels money/greed/corruption, but the children of those greedy individuals end up seeking higher education abroad, where they then see democratic nations, and envy them. So the same money/greed/corruption of their parents will inevitably be their parents undoing, its a vicious cycle, sure to repeat throughout history.

51 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

The older ones might be counting on croaking before the situation gets really bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, lipflipper said:

This clown and Thaksin clone finally came to that rather obvious conclusion?? Unbelievable just how ignorant and ill prepared he is for any Public Office. Seem like every time he opens his yap dribble just comes out.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The only "obvious conclusion" that I can see here is that you have incorrectly concluded whom Thanathorn was talking about.

"Clown", wow. "Ignorant"! Your view quite differs from the majority.

So if he speaks "dribble", what do you call what comes out of the General's mouth? Please tell.

"lipflipper" ..... I like. Great screen name for you.

7 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

A "good country" to me that would be one that works to reduce the gap between the rich and the poor (like sharing) rather than working to increase the gap between rich and poor (selfish,arrogant,self righteous and superior).

The highest 'wais' to the people who deserve respect the least.  Compulsory praise for folks sucking up the treasury and re-investing abroard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I think Asians in particular, with the high priority they place for societal harmony, are not well-suited to the conflict that Democracy necessitates. 

It's a high priority on SURFACE harmony, that's their dirty little secret.  

Passive aggression is still aggression.  And it can be just as destabilizing as the overt variety.

But all your points are well-taken.

Edited by ramr
  • Like 2