Lansoprazole vs Omeprazole

scubascuba3

Is it still the case that Lansoprazole isn't available cheaply in Thailand?

Do people still think Omeprazole is a good cheap substitute? On previous threads people made that comment.

I've currently got a week worth of 30 mg Lansoprazole left which i got from the UK and another week worth of Dexlansoprazole 30mg i got from Fascino (2,500 baht for a month...)

Where is the cheapest place in Pattaya or Bangkok to get Omeprazole?

I've used Sanosec Omeprazole 20mg for a month previously, I didn't notice any great improvement. Maybe the dose wasn't high enough (about 150 baht for 14 Capsules from Fascino). Maybe using this after 4 months of Lansoprazole may be better20190204_150017.jpg.ecd9eb0e9ebc8911a27b922c92b6c1d0.jpg

I was prescribed Omeprazol for stomach issues (reflux). However, After reading the latest research, i stopped them and changed to HCL tablets and apple cider vinegar. It turns out that proton pump inhibitors are prescribed to limit acid production when actually the problem is too little acid causing the discomfort.

Anyway, i seem to remember that i was paying much less than 150bt for 14. Ask for generic omeprazole.

• Like 1

There are many different brands of omeprazole... Gaster, etc... I have been taking 20 mg for many many years and it is a miracle for me... I can drink coffee, orange juice, eat pineapple.. if I miss my morning pill, I know it by afternoon... it has been a life saver for me... usually 50-60 baht for a 2 week supply.

There are many different brands of omeprazole... Gaster, etc... I have been taking 20 mg for many many years and it is a miracle for me... I can drink coffee, orange juice, eat pineapple.. if I miss my morning pill, I know it by afternoon... it has been a life saver for me... usually 50-60 baht for a 2 week supply.
From a chain of pharmacies?

I was prescribed Omeprazol for stomach issues (reflux). However, After reading the latest research, i stopped them and changed to HCL tablets and apple cider vinegar. It turns out that proton pump inhibitors are prescribed to limit acid production when actually the problem is too little acid causing the discomfort.
Anyway, i seem to remember that i was paying much less than 150bt for 14. Ask for generic omeprazole.
HCL?

wouldn't that mean using a PPI made your symptoms worse?

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
50 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

HCL?

Betaine Hydrochloride. I've read up quite a bit on these issues. There's a train of thought that 90% of the time the symptoms caused by silent reflux (LPR) are not caused by excess acid but by a lack of acid. Taking HCL with meals containing protein supplies the acid in the gut to enable digestion to take place. The school of thought is that the food lies in the gut as there's insufficient acid and starts to bubble away there and so puts pressure on the sphincters and comes up the wind pipe as the digestion is too slow.

Hypochloridria is the term for low stomach acid and you can test yourself easily enough by the burp test.

Some think that people who get older stop making sufficient acid and that Doctors hand out these PPI's willy nilly and make the condition worse.

• Like 1

Betaine Hydrochloride. I've read up quite a bit on these issues. There's a train of thought that 90% of the time the symptoms caused by silent reflux (LPR) are not caused by excess acid but by a lack of acid. Taking HCL with meals containing protein supplies the acid in the gut to enable digestion to take place. The school of thought is that the food lies in the gut as there's insufficient acid and starts to bubble away there and so puts pressure on the sphincters and comes up the wind pipe as the digestion is too slow.
Hypochloridria is the term for low stomach acid and you can test yourself easily enough by the burp test.
Some think that people who get older stop making sufficient acid and that Doctors hand out these PPI's willy nilly and make the condition worse.
Did you consider using Sodium Bicarbonate? many people seem to swear by that also

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Did you consider using Sodium Bicarbonate? many people seem to swear by that also

Take a look at the link mate.

https://healthygut.com/articles/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

I'd suggest you get an accurate diagnosis of your problems. Taking sodium bicarbonate if you already have low stomach acid will only make matters worse as it will neutralise the little acid you already have.

How old are you and do you have gerd or LPR (silent reflux). Does the lansaprazole help at all? How long have you been taking them?

Edited by sotonowl

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It is a short term fix.

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

wouldn't that mean using a PPI made your symptoms worse?

They only mask the symptoms. When you stop taking them, the problem returns.

Take a look at the link mate.https://healthygut.com/articles/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

I'd suggest you get an accurate diagnosis of your problems. Taking sodium bicarbonate if you already have low stomach acid will only make matters worse as it will neutralise the little acid you already have.

How old are you and do you have gerd or LPR (silent reflux). Does the lansaprazole help at all? How long have you been taking them?

I'm 49,my doctor in the UK prescribed lansaprazole for 3-6 months and its helped, I've used for 4 months, i barely notice any symptoms now. The problem isn't diagnosed 100%, possible Gastritis. I didn't bother getting a gastroscopy in Thailand.

UK doctor didn't recommend it, it doesn't appear to be NHS policy until worse symptoms. I had 2 tests for H pylori infection and they were negative. 

I've cut right back on things which caused an uncomfortable/warm feeling such as chillis, milk. No reflux.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm 49,my doctor in the UK prescribed lansaprazole for 3-6 months and its helped, I've used for 4 months, i barely notice any symptoms now. The problem isn't diagnosed 100%, possible Gastritis. I didn't bother getting a gastroscopy in Thailand. UK doctor didn't recommend it, it doesn't appear to be NHS policy until worse symptoms.

I've cut right back on things which caused an uncomfortable/warm feeling such as chillis, milk. No reflux.

Sounds like you're probably taking the right medication then although I'm not a doctor or medically trained in any way, what I post is just how I've dealt with things.

Be wary of staying on the PPI's for too long as there is a kick back when you come off them. Doctors tend to keep dishing them out like smarties if you let them.

I was on 30 mg Lansaprazole and I was still having issues so he put me on 20mg Omeprazole twice a day if that helps, didn't do anything for me and I eventually got myself off them.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're probably taking the right medication then although I'm not a doctor or medically trained in any way, what I post is just how I've dealt with things.
Be wary of staying on the PPI's for too long as there is a kick back when you come off them. Doctors tend to keep dishing them out like smarties if you let them.
I was on 30 mg Lansaprazole and I was still having issues so he put me on 20mg Omeprazole twice a day if that helps, didn't do anything for me and I eventually got myself off them.
Good advice based on experience. I'm tempted to try stopping when my current tablets run out and if symptoms come back kick off the Omeprazole 1 or 2 20mg
  • Like 1

This is a topic that I am very well qualified to answer, being someone that both uses and prescribes both medications. I also suffer with both Barretts's oesophagus and peptic ulcers. My advice would be to use whatever you can get cheapest:

Omeprazole 20mg = Lansoprazole 15mg (once or twice a day)

Omeprazole 40mg = Lansoprazole 30mg (once or twice a day)

I have found no discernible difference between the two in use over more than a decade - avoid the branded stuff. Nexium is esomeprazole, which may cost more but does the same job. If I have a real bad day, I will use 30mg lansoprazole three times, and that always sorts it.

Do not try sodium bicarbonate unless you want to spend your evening burping, farting, and then shitting for England the next morning.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
30 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Good advice based on experience. I'm tempted to try stopping when my current tablets run out and if symptoms come back kick off the Omeprazole 1 or 2 20mg

The Gaviscon Advance is pretty good as well, I have a couple of large unopened bottles in the cupboard if you want to buy them off me, I'll do a deal for you, LOL, can't see me needing them again.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

From a chain of pharmacies?

I don't usually go in the big chain stores, just local Thai pharmacies... easily available.. 

was on this muck for 15 years until two years back. They used to say no side effects, now they blame it for all sorts of illness's. I am convinced it definitely causes brittle bones, not sure about the others, now even dementia is pointed at. I got off them by taking almonds, sound unlikely but it worked for me, and the occasional gaviscon, now replaced by milk of magnesia, gaviscon is expensive due to the advertising.

14 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I got off them by taking almonds, sound unlikely but it worked for me

Yeah, and I avoided being bitten by snakes by wearing a Seiko watch. It has worked wonders - 100% success rate so far. I suggest that all people who don't want to be bitten by snakes do the same thing.