Allies play hard to get on U.S. proposal to protect oil shipping lanes

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, Tug said:

The world leaders know Donald is unstable ignorant and stubborn many nato country’s have the capacity to take out Iran’s navy if it comes to that any sensible world leader wouldent want Donald to have control of anything of importance 

I don't think unstable and ignorant leadership precludes a person from being a military leader.  Most of the military leaders I've met during my 70 year life have been unstable and ignorant.  Nor can I think of any world leader off hand who I think is sensible.  Matter of fact all that I can think of are not sensible.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump has gone out of his way to disavow our allies, criticize them at every opportunity, pay them no respect whatsoever, and talk on and on and on about what they owe the US, why they are not playing fair, and why they are not good friends of the US. Now, he asks for help. What on earth does this man, who does not have a common sense bone in his body, and is the worst negotiator around, expect from them at this point? Yes, sir. Whatever you say sir! Not going to happen. He has spend two years attempting to destroy alliances that took 50-100 years to build. 

I suggest he ask his dictator friends for help. He has spent so much effort befriending them, maybe Russia or North Korea can help the US, and prove just how deep those alliances are. 

Iran has taken two British tankers.  Wouldn't you imagine that the Brits would be asking Trump for help instead of the reverse? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's to everyone's interest to put Iran in their place. We aren't schoolchildren where liking someone is important, Are we? Push comes to shove I'm positive out allies will be there to lend a hand. Just like the Brits did not long ago when they boarded the tanker.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Iran has taken two British tankers.  Wouldn't you imagine that the Brits would be asking Trump for help instead of the reverse? 

Brits are to busy fighting a Brexit war that's been raging for 3 years already and have taken many casualties including 2 PM's????

• Haha 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

And learned from their mistake.

I don't think that they felt the Gulf War was a mistake. Saddam had already invaded Kuwait and posed a real threat to the Saudis. Unfortunately he had to be stopped. And Europeans recognized it was in their self interest.

But for the Iraq war, as for the present situation, the Europeans recognized that the onus  there was on the USA. Just like the current situation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Nor was he President when they mostly didn't come to the aid of George W. Bush before and during the Iraq War.. The fact is they won't help the USA not mainly out of animus against Trump, but because Trump is responsible for creating this totally unnecessary situation in the first place. 

I think for the most part you are correct.

These are nor stupid people and though trump's base might be buying it, they are not.

But though they are not stupid, they are also human, they don't come from some ethereal place , different than you and me. Aside from some career moves and some luck they are you and me, and are governed by the same emotions that govern you and me. 

And trust me , as the British ambassadors report reflected (not an isolated sentiment  IMO)   they don't like trump.