Flying Bangkok To Penang

ubergnome

Need to fly to Penang and back for a visa run, and never been before.

What are the options? Any discount airlines or specials?

How about hotels?

Also, if anyone knows a good travel agent in Pattaya, that would be helpful.

Thanks

Air Asia will start to fly the BKK-Penang route in the middle of June. Their one-way fares start at 500 baht plus tax. THAI also flies this route direct. A number of other airlines offer connecting service through Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc.

Penang hotels are available in all price ranges. What were you looking to spend?

Thai's online RT fare is 9000 Baht. Am calling to see if any specials.

Will check on Air Asia, Thanks. Any others?

Re: hotel - just something passable and somewhat close by the Thai consulate if possible. Say equiv. of 1000 Baht range in Bangkok.

Shuttle service to embassy would be nice...

The Thai consulate is not really near any hotels. From what I recall, the consulate is located in a fairly residential neighborhood away from downtown. Stay in central Georgetown and take a taxi to/from the consulate.

FYI - A taxi from the airport to town is roughly RM 25.

I like staying at Hotel 1926 which is in your price range but it may not be everybody's cup of tea. This hotel is in a restored colonial building that was originally constructed as military housing in 1926 (clever, eh?).

Hotel 1926 does have character. Not your typical modern high-rise of which Georgetown also has plenty. One of the neat things about Georgetown is the colonial era architecture. It's nice to see somebody making an effort to preserve that heritage rather than tear more down.

I would assume that the Embassy run would be pretty routine for most taxi drivers there. And the hotel staff? Helpful?

Also, what about visa "helpers"? I've used guys like this in Laos and they can be pretty helpful. I'd think probably not necessary in Penang, but what's your experience there? FYI applying for the non-imm B.

There are always plenty of fellow travelers in Penang going to the Thai consulate. You won't have trouble finding a taxi driver who knows where it is located.

I've never applied for a Thai visa in Penang so I know little about that office's idiosyncrasies. I have seen people post on here regarding "helpers" in Penang though. If you do a little searching in the Thai visas, residency and Work permits forum you should be able to get some answers in this regard.