Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

On 9/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, Percy P said:

Yes. But they can still come back here for a 90 day stay.

Just not back to back.  Right?  Not to mention all the other visa BS hoops to jump through. 

Have you considered, once people have a look over the other side of the fence, they just might see the grass is greener. 

Edited by Leaver

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, tideout said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post and if so, no offense intended. I'm also going a bit off your post to save time. Again, no offense.

One of the most common scams here in the Ben Thanh market area is to give a certain colored shopping bag to tourists who've come through and bought something a specifically colored shopping bag. This bag indicates another shop has marked them as suckers for a big up-sell.

Lying and scamming here in Vietnam, not limited to but particularly any tourist area is as second nature as breathing.

I'll repeat a few things from other posts but it may be worth something to a few.

There is no retirement visa.

The previously easy to get "business visa" which lasted for a year and might otherwise be known as the retirement and beer visa, is becoming much, much harder to get. I personally know people who are being denied that visa who are not only well connected but have been here before on that visa. Illegal, "coffee money" versions of everything from drivers licenses to permits are getting second and third looks and are much more likely to a "no" response. 

Don't like waves of Chinese tourists or Indians in your Thai city? I don't have time to go into it but trust me the increase in Africans, Indians and Chinese related deals here is rapidly on the increase.

I could go on about this but there are too many details that one could go into.......

Sorry for my late reply, but I was nearly one month travelling through Germany.

I didn´t mean scams or at markets, I was writing about entrance fees for temples and other landmarks. 

17 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Sorry for my late reply, but I was nearly one month travelling through Germany.

I didn´t mean scams or at markets, I was writing about entrance fees for temples and other landmarks. 

There is some dual pricing in Vietnam, but only for a few major attractions.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, BritManToo said:

In Cambodia you just drop your Passport in at almost any travel agent store, along with $300, and a week later collect your passport with a 1 year multiple entry VISA, no TM30s, no 90 day reporting, no financial requirements. Similar game in the Philippines.

If you don't think that's easier than Thailand, you're out of your mind.

i had one of these visas a while ago, when I was visa running out of Thailand. 

It said "Business Visa."  I was really concerned because it didn't say. "Retirement Visa."   A visa really needs to be called a "Retirement Visa" for me to feel secure in the region.  ????????

On 9/10/2019 at 2:44 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes i've been there, many times, yes for leisure and business.

And no your Business visa is simply a fake visa, they are applied to with fake sponsoring letters from local business partners.

If you would have ever applied for one yourself you would know this stuff.

There are dozens of business visas getting rejected from everyone that ever used this sketchy services after immigration found out about it, exactly why only americans can apply for 1 year visas visas as stupid european backpackers abused it to death already.

Retires here apply for a retirement visa, with the purpose to retire and that's what they also do. All 100% by the book.Thats why they have to show their pension income, that's why marriage visa people show they are married, ... so no, the name of a visa is not just a farce.

No, it's actually us laughing our asses off about people like you that thought they can live on tourist visas in Thailand forever and now think the same about Vietnam.

Others like me just enjoy their property, do their visa stuff every x years and have a good worry free time.

You are so naive, it hurts. A trainreck waiting to happen. Get your life in order dude...

I have a retirement visa here.  It's you that is so naive as to think the goal posts will remain the same here.

Let me guess, you haven't even researched a Plan B. Thailand, and your lifestyle here will remain the same, forever.  ????

Read the OP again.  You even have Thai's now admitting Vietnam is "scary." 

What would you say to the Thai guy quoted in the OP? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

It said "Business Visa."  I was really concerned because it didn't say. "Retirement Visa."   A visa really needs to be called a "Retirement Visa" for me to feel secure in the region.  ????????

"everyone enters Cambodia with a one month visa - either tourist visa T $30 or ordinary visa E $35. If you want to apply for a retirement visa, then ask for an ordinary visa at immigration, and once you are in Cambodia you can apply for a retirement EOS - extension of stay.
You can get a 6 month or 12 month ER visa extension with multiple entry."

$200 for the 12 month ER extension.

I prefer Cambodia to Vietnam, off to Hanoi next month, purely because it's easier/cheaper to fly direct from Chiang Mai.

Trips this year 3x Vietnam, 2x Cambodia. 

Edited by BritManToo

On 9/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, BritManToo said:

"everyone enters Cambodia with a one month visa - either tourist visa T $30 or ordinary visa E $35. If you want to apply for a retirement visa, then ask for an ordinary visa at immigration, and once you are in Cambodia you can apply for a retirement EOS - extension of stay.
You can get a 6 month or 12 month ER visa extension with multiple entry."

$200 for the 12 month ER extension.

I prefer Cambodia to Vietnam, off to Hanoi next month, purely because it's easier/cheaper to fly direct from Chiang Mai.

Trips this year 3x Vietnam, 2x Cambodia. 

Why are you doing so many trips?  Are you visa running out of Thailand?

42 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Until the masses of Indians and Chinese and somewhat the Russians  bail to Vietnam, which does not look like anytime soon, Pattaya need not be running scared.

Perhaps you should Google "zero baht tourists Thailand."

There's very little money in the Chinese and Indian tourist market for Thailand. 

Thailand has lost a big part of the lucrative western independent tourists market to Vietnam, and this is what's "scary" for Thailand, as they lose more and more of this market, every season.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:25 PM, Leaver said:

I have a retirement visa here.  It's you that is so naive as to think the goal posts will remain the same here.

Let me guess, you haven't even researched a Plan B. Thailand, and your lifestyle here will remain the same, forever.  ????

Read the OP again.  You even have Thai's now admitting Vietnam is "scary." 

I am on a PE visa and will just buy another, don't care if they double or triple the price, could just go for investment visa anyway.

Why would any of these be removed? Never happened before and your alternative is a country that never had a visa system, because it's cheap, because you are cheap and that's your only reason to go there. What changed for people from my country here in terms of retirement? yeah right nothing.

My plan B is portugal, we already have property there, don't worry.

I also have Dubai/UAE residency, in case thailand gets too cold.

Sorry you are a fool if you think a communist hole is an alternative, i grew up in split germany and saw this communism <deleted> ruining peoples life.

Yeah there are nice alternatives to Thailand, those are Singapore, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, maybe Malaysia and Indo - everything else is a hole for me.

You do, you do...

Thailand, and your lifestyle here will remain the same, forever.

No, you are the fool thinking that you can pull your business visa scam there forever. Vietnam sooner or later, doesn't need you anymore and won't cater to you.

That Pattaya is the biggest hole in thailand and it derserves to go down, what a <deleted>ty place.

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ahhh, you are a good farang.  Just pay what is demanded from you and go along. 

Cheaper than getting robbed on worldwide income taxation in your thieving communist country, yes.

As for investment visa, what fool would invest in Thailand just for a visa? 

People who have money and want to save money with thailands excellent tax system.

Because they can be, or the goal posts changed, to get more money out of fools like you.  Didn't they revoke Elite Visas some years ago?

No, they didn't. Never happened.

No, they just changed the requirements.

Nothing changed at all regarding monetary requirements, your embassy stopped issuing income letters, my embassy still does it, like most countries. Take it up with your own country if they skrew you over.

Yes, that's why you need a visa to go to Vietnam, because they do not have a visa system.  ????

Fake Business visas that get rejected all the time and people get blacklisted, excellent to build a life on. Only a fool would compare it to thailands visa system.

Affordability is only one thing to consider.  Freedom of movement, and freedom in general, is a nice feeling there. The beaches are cleaner and the locals more friendly.

Lol, there's no freedom of movement in vietnam. You are in fact not even allowed to rent a car without a vietnamese DL.

Foreigners can only live in certain places in vietnam, and cannot occupy more than 250 houses per Division. The whole RE market is an absolute <deleted>show there: https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/20190918/vietnam-police-arrest-bosses-of-real-estate-firm-alibaba/51310.html

Such a free country, stop kidding yourself. Maybe "free" for a poor backpacker but not for people with a real life.

Tm30 <deleted> they have too, great upgrade to thailand. 

Really?  I wonder why the Visa Forum has been on fire for the last 6 months.  Mod Ubon Joe has never worked so hard, but hey, NOTHING has changed.  ????

Don't see a single german complaining here about new retirement visa rules as it's still the same, also learn to read. The only thing that changed is your embassy skrewing you over. But hey if the UK even sells their embassy to a shopping mal what can you expect...

Good for you.  EVERYONE needs a Plan B for Thailand. 

No not for Thailand, for ASIA, the whole region is messed up.

Which is pretty much useless, when talking about personal freedom.

Oh really? Certainly more party and action there than in vietnam and thailand combined.

better bars, better clubs, more things to do...i wouldn't touch drugs in any of these countries, if u want personal freedom ASIA/ME sucks.

Communist government with a free marker.  Vietnam is not North Korea. 

Dream on dude, that's why vietnamese startups incorporate in Singapore...

So, take that up with the Russians.  Nothing to do with the Vietnamese, who have proudly fought for their country for centuries, and then went on to liberate Cambodia.

Oh yeah the russians, the other communists are better, yeah we should try communism again, long time we didn't....

Not as much personal freedom in those countries, as many of them are highly regulated.  I left my home country to escape a Nanny State.  Singapore?  Really?  Give me break.  It's a small concrete jungle.

At least you can get wasted there 24/7, vietnam and thailand are bigger nanny states. Korea is the most chill place where i ever worked, they don't give a <deleted> about you. 

Not a scam.  That's their system.  How about those expats married to a Vietnamese National getting a 5 year multiple entry visa for $50.  They are laughing at Thailand's BS.

It's not their system and business visa get rejected left and right and people blacklisted.

They set up fake companies and then act like they hire you, .... until the gov finds those and blacklists all ex employes. 

Who gives a <deleted> about marriage visa, you want personal freedom, the exact opposite of marriage. I prefer to pay a bit of money because marriage will cost me 50% of my networth prolly... 

Maybe, maybe not.  You run the same risk in Thailand.  Neither country overs citizenship. 

Yeah that's why people here have citizenship and PRs....

And no i don't run the same risk in Thailand, comparing something that exists to someonehing that doesn't exist is stupid, not sure why you come up with this stuff all the time.

So why are you posting on the Pattaya Forum?  Most tourist areas in Thailand have gone the same direction.  Vietnam is already taking a big part of Thailand's western tourist market. 

To make sure everyone knows it's a shole. It's not Thailand, it's Pattaya dying... for a good reason.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The Asean agreement (which Vietnam signed) says different.

No it doesn't, car rental companies refuse to give out cars without vietnamese license. I tried all of them in HCM, with IDP and Thai DL, send GF in, same answers... no chance. Was rather annoying, they forced us to hire their personal driver for the car.

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Until the masses of Indians and Chinese and somewhat the Russians  bail to Vietnam, which does not look like anytime soon, Pattaya need not be running scared.

If it is soooo much cheaper and better I would expect it to be inevitable.

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If it is soooo much cheaper and better I would expect it to be inevitable.

Which is a big risk if staying long term. There goes the neighbourhood.

So far I've gotten the impression Vietnam is ok for a short tourist trip or two, after that, seen it. I think I'll do just that in the next couple of years.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never noticed, no police around, nobody asking me questions, no five cops in a pickup checking out where I stay in Vietnam. Hotels/homestays I stay at take a photo of my passport name page and entry stamp on their smartphone when I book in, and that's it. Come to think of it, China was just as easy.

But with a Viet spouse, or with a Viet kid, you do get a 5 year VISA for $50.

Wish I'd reproduced in Vietnam rather than Thailand.

If only Thai immigration was that easy.

The Vietnam police wave foreigners through their check points, due to the language barrier.  Completely different to Thailand, where it's the foreigners that are stopped, while Thai's are waved through, because there is bigger money to be extorted from a foreigner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The Vietnam police wave foreigners through their check points, due to the language barrier.  Completely different to Thailand, where it's the foreigners that are stopped, while Thai's are waved through, because there is bigger money to be extorted from a foreigner.

Never saw any police in Vietnam, so don't know if they would wave me through or not.

See police stops nearly every day I'm out and about in Chiang Mai, don't know if they would wave me through as I always do a U-turn.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, Leaver said:

Didn't you miss the smell of urine from the taxi drivers that constantly urinate on the trees near these beach benches?  ????

didn't notice the smell of urine at all, nor did I see any of this behavior.  If it happened constantly I would have noticed.  In DN the taxi drivers could not park on the side of the beach road unless picking up/dropping off passengers, they could park in the designated lots and use the numerous public restrooms available just off the beach.  I admit that two times, at night, I urinated in a side soi under construction, just sand and weeds.  

Here in CR area I see Thai men stop on the road to relieve themselves often, don't see it as terrible. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Cheaper than getting robbed on worldwide income taxation in your thieving communist country,

The only tax Vietnam would see out of me is some VAT.  I'm not stupid enough to move my life savings into either country.   

People who have money and want to save money with thailands excellent tax system.

There are safer tax havens in the world.  Actually, I wouldn't even call Thailand a tax haven. 

No, they didn't. Never happened.

What about the longer seasoning period for the 800k, and the complete loss of access to 400k of the 800k????????

Nothing changed at all regarding monetary requirements,

What about the longer seasoning period for the 800k, and the complete loss of access to 400k of the 800k????????

your embassy stopped issuing income letters,

Correct.

Take it up with your own country if they skrew you over.

Or, just use an agent, which is easier and cheaper.

Fake Business visas that get rejected all the time and people get blacklisted, excellent to build a life on.

I have had one.  Never a problem.  What about all those "fake" retirement visas from agents for people who can no longer obtain an Embassy letter.  Thailand doesn't seem to have a problem with it, either. 

Only a fool would compare it to thailands visa system.

It's not foolish to compare visa systems.  It's foolish to think Thailand's visa system is stable.

Lol, there's no freedom of movement in vietnam.

Rubbish.

Foreigners can only live in certain places in vietnam,

Rubbish.

and cannot occupy more than 250 houses per Division.

Similar to the 51% to 49% ratio in Thailand.  ????

And there has never been any real estate fraud in Thailand????????  What about all the foreigners, and Thai's, who have been conned out of money by property developers, particlarly those buying off the plan.  Look at all the uncompleted condo blocks around.

Your news article is irrelevant, but at least "Mr. Big" go arrested.  In Thailand, nothing happens to them.

You are in fact not even allowed to rent a car without a vietnamese DL.

Taxis and private drivers are so cheap I have never tried to rent a car.  I do know Vietnam is currently not in the International Treaty for driving licenses, so there may be some truth in what you say.  This being more for insurance purposes, rather than one's nationality.   I have a Vietnam driving / riding license.  It's a like for like conversion at their transport office.  Easy to obtain.

Such a free country, stop kidding yourself.

It's you kidding yourself if you think Thailand offers more freedom for foreigners.  The bureaucracy here for a foreigner is bordering on racism. 

Maybe "free" for a poor backpacker but not for people with a real life.

More freedom for all, not just backpackers.

Tm30 <deleted> they have too, great upgrade to thailand. 

Always been done by the landlord / hotel.  Never has the onus been put on me to do it.  Never had a problem there. 

Don't see a single german complaining here about new retirement visa rules

I thought there were NO new rules?  ????  Why single out one nationality?

The only thing that changed is your embassy skrewing you over.

That was my original thought, but now I am seeing using an agent is cheaper and easier. 

No not for Thailand, for ASIA, the whole region is messed up.

Wrong.  Everyone needs a Plan B for Thailand. 

Certainly more party and action there than in vietnam and thailand combined

Well, party action is a good reason to live in country.  ????????

that's why vietnamese startups incorporate in Singapore

A lot of company HQ's in the region are in Singapore, as are a lot of expat's bank accounts.  More to do with Singapore being stable, and lower tax rates.  Nothing new about this.  Only a fool with think Thailand is as stable as Singapore.

yeah we should try communism again,

Did I say that?  No.  Thailand's political system if a mess, and Vietnam is communist.  I am not a citizen of either country, therefore can not vote.  I can live in both countries, and if at any stage either government implements laws or policies that effect me negatively, I can leave.  Simple.  It's there country, not ours.

At least you can get wasted there 24/7, vietnam and thailand are bigger nanny states. Korea is the most chill place where i ever worked, they don't give a <deleted> about you. 

Alcohol abuse is not how I judge personal freedom, but if you can't "get wasted" in Thailand and Vietnam, then you must be drinking lite beer.  ????

It's not their system and business visa get rejected left and right and people blacklisted.

I've had one.  Not reject.  Not blacklisted.

They set up fake companies and then act like they hire you, .... until the gov finds those and blacklists all ex employes. 

Yes, a bit like using a visa agent for a retirement visa, without the 800k, in Thailand.  All good.  ????

Who gives a <deleted> about marriage visa,

Only the high percentage of retirees that remarry in the region.

no i don't run the same risk in Thailand,

Do you think you have the right to reside here?  That little 1 year sticker in your passport gives you no more rights than someone on a 60 day tourist visa.

To make sure everyone knows it's a shole. It's not Thailand, it's Pattaya dying... for a good reason.

Why do you call Pattaya a hole? What bad experiences did you have in Pattaya?

Have you even been to Vietnam?  If so, where, and how long did you stay?

16 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

didn't notice the smell of urine at all, nor did I see any of this behavior.  If it happened constantly I would have noticed.  In DN the taxi drivers could not park on the side of the beach road unless picking up/dropping off passengers, they could park in the designated lots and use the numerous public restrooms available just off the beach.  I admit that two times, at night, I urinated in a side soi under construction, just sand and weeds.  

Here in CR area I see Thai men stop on the road to relieve themselves often, don't see it as terrible. 

I was being sarcastic.

Many beach roads in Thailand are dominated by businesses, usually taxis, and they urinate near their business or car or tuktuk.  End result is, the beach promenade stinks of urine. 

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

L, not so.

I've been through 5 or 6 police checkpoints in my province were I live and been waved through at all of them.

I'm a farang, and have no problems with checkpoints to date, over a 4 year period.

18 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

L, not so.

I've been through 5 or 6 police checkpoints in my province were I live and been waved through at all of them.

I'm a farang, and have no problems with checkpoints to date, over a 4 year period.

I've driven all over thailand on big bikes, the police always wave me through, never stopped.