Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

No, I don't understand your post because it's 100% wrong. If you don't understand how the TM30 report works,don't complain about it. 

If you don't understand something then how do you know if it is wrong

My understanding of the TM30 is crystal clear, my point being that many "ordinary tourists" read and hear about such regulations and then.... ohhh whats the point

Have a pleasant day....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I asked you about a common tourist visiting Thailand. A tourist never ever have to worry about the TM30 report. NEVER EVER. They don't have to submit a TM30 anywhere in Thailand. They are not responsible, and never will be. Expats/long stayers, yes.

So before you're complaining next time, check the facts first. 

Why not... one living in a condo seeking a 30 day extension could well be asked for one. No TM30, no extension. Are you sure you have all the facts. 

4 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

If you don't understand something then how do you know if it is wrong

My understanding of the TM30 is crystal clear, my point being that many "ordinary tourists" read and hear about such regulations and then.... ohhh whats the point

Have a pleasant day....

Ordinary tourists don't have to submit the TM30,and I don't think they read posts here at TVF about the TM30 before visiting Thailand. And hopefully they do comprehend what they're reading,because you obviously don't.

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ease is one thing, what about cost?  And yes, the 800k, 400k which you can not use, in a useless Thai bank account, should be included in the cost. 

Comparing the cost of something that actually EXISTS to something that DOES NOT EXIST and calling the existing thing expensive is hilarious.

Philliphines, Malaysia, Thailand, Bali all have perfectly fine working retirement visa shemes all around in the same ballpark with malaysia beeing the expensive outlier.

Vietnam doesn't, but that's a plus lol?

You have no idea if your visa runs will be allowed next year, then you are rekt. None of the other countries ever retrospecively kicked out people and got rid of a whole visa category, so living in these countries for retirees is considered safe. Nothing here changed if you aren't from one of the embassies that refuses to give out income letters. 

For me as a german, absolutely nothing changed, and all the old blokes at soi 22 sitting at ottos restaurant are only laughing their ass off about brits and their embassy here.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Firstly, most expats in Vietnam are retired.  They are living there on a 5 year multiple entry marriage visa, or a 3 month tourist visas, extended within Vietnam 3 times, for a 1 year stay.  Obviously, they pay no income tax.

After reading your post I contacted an English teacher in Vietnam I know, because I was interested in their income tax rates.  He told me the school pays him cash at the end of every month, and he was living there on tourists visas.  He said this is the way it works for most English teachers. 

So, no taxes, and left alone by the police / immigration. 

Oh wow an illegal teacher, great idea to base your life on that information.

I bet we will find thousands of those in Thailand too, working somewhere in a school and not paying taxes is absolutely retarded, how desperate are you people.

Must be bottom line school even, no real university which are state owned would employe and do this in vietnam.

Dude if u want to break the law, thailand has you covered already, you can do the same here, many do.

Not my type of expat life tho.

3 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Whats the difference between a tourist visa and a retirement visa in Thailand as far as regulations that could be changed at any future point?

The only difference in a practical aspect is the terminology surely. They can all be revoked, altered or modified in any number of ways that may not suit the future applicant or current holder

Probably the only way to avoid all the challenges would be to become a resident.....

And world war 3 could break out, meh.

Thailand has always honored it existing Visa system, Vietnam doesn't even have one.

We call Totschlagargument (conversation killer argument) in german...

Correct.

Not correct.  A 3 month tourist visa can be extended inside Vietnam 3 times, which equals 1 year, before you have to cross a board and come straight back in again.

I agree.  Only a matter of time before they introduce a retirement visa similar to Thailand.  

Malaysia has the best package for retirees.  The Malaysia My 2nd Home scheme.

Complaining about Thai paperwork while doing Visas every 3 month, facepalm much?

I didn't go to immigration in person since years here...ohh

What would be your advice to someone under 50 years of age who wants to live in Thailand????

In Vietnam, someone under 50 can live in Vietnam on tourist visas, perpetually. 

Surely you admit that is easier that Thailand. 

I am not complaining.  I can meet the requirement here, but maybe I am unwilling to. 

Where common tourist go now may be relevant for where they with to retire to in the future.  I'm sure all expats came to Thailand for a holiday/s, before deciding to retiree here.  It's tourism that advertises a place to future retirees.

No, the way you enter Thailand and Vietnam is different.  Most get a 30 day visa exemption in Thailand.  In Vietnam, about 6 western countries get a 15 day visa exemption.  If you are not one of the 6, you need a visa, but once again, no grief.  No documents to supply.  No, "you go Vietnam too much."  None of this happens.  Just pay your money and get your visa.    

Get a freaking job, is my advice. Or if you have money, chose one of the various Investment routes or marry your gf.

What advice would you give a guy from Nigera that wants to life in the USA???

Go there and work as an illegal non-tax paying teacher?

The entitlement is strong here.

• Sad 2

Get a freaking job, is my advice. Or if you have money, chose one of the various Investment routes or marry your gf.

What advice would you give a guy from Nigera that wants to life in the USA???
Go there and work as an illegal non-tax paying teacher?

The entitlement is strong here.

As you said earlier, it is until it isn't

Much the same way of thinking.......

On 9/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Tax Residents in Vietnam have to pay tax on their worldwide income at progressive taxrates. Therefore, salary earned from working abroad is taxable in Vietnam.

Capital gains too? If that's the case, it's a no-go.

1 minute ago, seasia said:

Hi

One of the best  posts I have read on this site.

The animosity shown by some to those who either have left or are merely considering it is incredible, never come across it on any other board.

The number of " alternative destination " threads has grown exponentially yet they all attract attacks.

A good job there is the very useful ignore function on this site.

All the Best

Maybe if those posters would tell the truth and put some effort into some real research they wouldn't get attacked. 

Like that expatph guy or robsamui who call it like it is, rose colored glasses reports are just annoying. 

If you have anything about the stuff i wrote to correct go ahead, but as it stands the visa and tax situation in vietnam is a big net negative and that's coming from someone who loves to go there on holidays. 

On 9/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, KhunFred said:

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before they fine tune their visa process to do away with the requirement to leave every 90 days on a tourist visa.

Oh boy you really are dreaming. Just wait until Thailand's rejects start clogging up the hospitals with no money 

VN will start to tighten visa restrictions , NOT loosen them !!!

30 years in the Land of Plastic ( lol not LOS more..)

my result:

Tm30 <deleted> ohh nothing new there was a wave about 5yr ago.. for xx month ,even condos where collecting passports

ST rentals not the first time problems

Probems in the past comming and going

Diffrent today : i think all the <deleted> not go anymore like before

Result; Thailand still has the best infrastructure,but all asian countrys now, are not worth living here anymore. No cost advantage compare to spain or turkey or others.High livingcost even in cmabodia  ( for guys not only drink and smoke),The Noise ( vietnam land of tueeeeet) ,The Polution ( thai and cambodia to name),the <deleted>food and poor infrastructure ( to name the philippines).

The only left here in asia, is the girls and nightlife, tahts ok for a fun holiday but not anymore for a base of living.

I am tierd of the thai nonsens, they open their mouth and i could already make "urg", because daily again all nonsense come out,from top to bottom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Here's another one who puts his faith in the two simple words on a visa sticker, and those words are:  "Retirement Visa."  No matter the Thai government could turn the 800k needed into 1.5 or 2 million baht next month, and add an annual 100k junk insurance policy.  It says "Retirement Visa" so I feel safe and secure.  ????????

Have you even been to Vietnam????

The expats in Vietnam laugh their asses off at the Thailand expats, yes, that's me, and you, and all the BS they go through, to do exactly what the Vietnam expats do, where they just have a pay as you go visa. 

Who cares what a visa is called, if it let's you live in the country?  A Thailand retirement visa gives you no more rights than a 60 day tourist visa.  A tourist can buy property, open a bank account, buy a vehicle, have a sim card, buy a business, all on a Thai tourist visa.  A retirement visa may as well just be called a 1 year tourist visa that can be extended.  

I once had 1 year multiple entry business visa in Cambodia, for visa runs out of Thailand.  I never owned a business and didn't work in Cambodia.  Retirement, Marriage, Business, Tourist, what's in name????  The criteria can change at any time.

Vietnam allows people to live in Vietnam on tourist visas in a similar fashion to the Thailand retirement visas.  Yes, you must cross a boarder once a year.  Big deal.  Small price to pay to no have to worry about financials, TM30's, seasoning periods, reporting, bank letters, re-entry permits, and any other BS document I may have missed.   

It doesn't matter what the sticker is called, if it allows you to stay long term.

Would you cry if Thailand changed the name of the "Retirement Visa" to "1 Year Visa?"  Does that change anything?  You can still live in Thailand for 1 year on it. Vietnam has a system where you can live in Vietnam on a "Tourist Visa."  Does that make it any less stable? 

Yes i've been there, many times, yes for leisure and business.

And no your Business visa is simply a fake visa, they are applied to with fake sponsoring letters from local business partners.

If you would have ever applied for one yourself you would know this stuff.

There are dozens of business visas getting rejected from everyone that ever used this sketchy services after immigration found out about it, exactly why only americans can apply for 1 year visas visas as stupid european backpackers abused it to death already.

Retires here apply for a retirement visa, with the purpose to retire and that's what they also do. All 100% by the book.Thats why they have to show their pension income, that's why marriage visa people show they are married, ... so no, the name of a visa is not just a farce.

The expats in Vietnam laugh their asses off at the Thailand expats, yes, that's me, and you, and all the BS they go through, to do exactly what the Vietnam expats do, where they just have a pay as you go visa. 

No, it's actually us laughing our asses off about people like you that thought they can live on tourist visas in Thailand forever and now think the same about Vietnam.

Others like me just enjoy their property, do their visa stuff every x years and have a good worry free time.

You are so naive, it hurts. A trainreck waiting to happen. Get your life in order dude...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here's another one who puts his faith in the two simple words on a visa sticker, and those words are:  "Retirement Visa."  No matter the Thai government could turn the 800k needed into 1.5 or 2 million baht next month, and add an annual 100k junk insurance policy.  It says "Retirement Visa" so I feel safe and secure.  ????????

Have you even been to Vietnam????

Who cares what a visa is called, if it let's you live in the country?  A Thailand retirement visa gives you no more rights than a 60 day tourist visa.  A tourist can buy property, open a bank account, buy a vehicle, have a sim card, buy a business, all on a Thai tourist visa.  A retirement visa may as well just be called a 1 year tourist visa that can be extended.  

I once had 1 year multiple entry business visa in Cambodia, for visa runs out of Thailand.  I never owned a business and didn't work in Cambodia.  Retirement, Marriage, Business, Tourist, what's in name????  The criteria can change at any time.

Vietnam allows people to live in Vietnam on tourist visas in a similar fashion to the Thailand retirement visas.  Yes, you must cross a boarder once a year.  Big deal.  Small price to pay to no have to worry about financials, TM30's, seasoning periods, reporting, bank letters, re-entry permits, and any other BS document I may have missed.   

It doesn't matter what the sticker is called, if it allows you to stay long term.

Would you cry if Thailand changed the name of the "Retirement Visa" to "1 Year Visa?"  Does that change anything?  You can still live in Thailand for 1 year on it. Vietnam has a system where you can live in Vietnam on a "Tourist Visa."  Does that make it any less stable? 

Shouldn't a tourist be able to phone home? And a normal tourist doesn't go for subscriptions,they most often go with the starter package at 7/11. Many gets their packages at the airport. You can't as a tourist walk in to, for example, True and ask for several packages without showing the bank book from a thai bank.

As for opening a savings account as a tourist, your post is not entirely correct. The term tourist is not used at banks officially, it's foreigner. It doesn't matter if you or others were able to open a savings account on a tourist visa or not.

Those banks customer service did not follow their banks rules and regulations. You can always at some branches find a dumb girl working in customer service who doesn't understand her banks requirements.

If you can use Google, check out EVERY thai banks requirements for opening a savings account as a foreigner. Just a very few banks allows it,and that's when you have a work permit. There's only ONE bank that I know of, and that's Bangkok Bank, that allows a foreigner without a work permit to open an account. You need to certify your identity through references,some easy to obtain,some harder,but it's doable. 

The reason for this is that you can own a condo as a tourist or you will maybe retire here and therefore you'll need a bank account. Bangkok Bank understands this. So, I repeat, it's officially very hard to open an account as a foreigner. Even harder as a tourist. 

And if you think doing border runs and obtaining visas in neighbouring countries 6 month or more every year, is easier than a few minutes at Immigration for an extension for 1900 baht/year, then you are out of your mind. So, please move to Vietnam. BUT stay there! 

On 9/9/2019 at 8:56 AM, Leaver said:

Well, the western tourists are certainly going there now.  Do you think Thailand will be able to lure them back in the future?

Yes. But they can still come back here for a 90 day stay.

Edited by Percy P

Oh look another "Pattaya is doomed" thread that never dies.

Just came back from a walk around Pattaya on a Tuesday night around 9pm during the lowest of the low season.  There was no shortage of tourists around spending money in restarants, legit massages, beer bars etc.  A mix of families, couples, and single men looking for company.  Lots of asians.  Can't tell if Korean or Chinese or Taiwan.  Lots of East Indians too.  Doesn't seem to be as many Russians as in past years during low season but more of everything else. Everything looked fairly busy.  Not just the more touristy areas either.  It's spread out all over.  Soi Buakao was a zoo.  You would think it was high season. 

Yup, Pattaya is doomed, doomed I tell ya...booga booga!

Edited by lapd

It's not just the scenery that people want, also friendly approach, good exchange rates and being free

to move around(over the 24hr period) without having to report to a cop station.

I drink to make other people more interesting.  Ernest Hemingway  

22 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Shouldn't a tourist be able to phone home? And a normal tourist doesn't go for subscriptions,they most often go with the starter package at 7/11. Many gets their packages at the airport. You can't as a tourist walk in to, for example, True and ask for several packages without showing the bank book from a thai bank.

As for opening a savings account as a tourist, your post is not entirely correct. The term tourist is not used at banks officially, it's foreigner. It doesn't matter if you or others were able to open a savings account on a tourist visa or not.

Those banks customer service did not follow their banks rules and regulations. You can always at some branches find a dumb girl working in customer service who doesn't understand her banks requirements.

If you can use Google, check out EVERY thai banks requirements for opening a savings account as a foreigner. Just a very few banks allows it,and that's when you have a work permit. There's only ONE bank that I know of, and that's Bangkok Bank, that allows a foreigner without a work permit to open an account. You need to certify your identity through references,some easy to obtain,some harder,but it's doable. 

The reason for this is that you can own a condo as a tourist or you will maybe retire here and therefore you'll need a bank account. Bangkok Bank understands this. So, I repeat, it's officially very hard to open an account as a foreigner. Even harder as a tourist. 

And if you think doing border runs and obtaining visas in neighbouring countries 6 month or more every year, is easier than a few minutes at Immigration for an extension for 1900 baht/year, then you are out of your mind. So, please move to Vietnam. BUT stay there! 

Mobile phones are often used to detonate bombs, and that is partially to blame for the registration and restrictions.  I have been coming here 21 years and never had a post paid..now they even give me free data for the month if I just add fifty baht per month.  My friends in America aren't going to believe it.

On September 7, 2019 at 11:03 AM, Leaver said:

The only accurate part of your post is Americans get a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa for around $195USD.  No other hoops to jump through.

The rest of your post is inaccurate.

1 year visas are currently on hold.  There is no crackdown.  I expect them to be available again in the future.

You get a 3 month multiple entry visa for around $70USD.  This can be renewed 3 times inside Vietnam.  That totals a 1 year stay. 

After that 1 year, you have to leave, but can come straight back again.  There is no "back to back" or "too many tourist visas" BS like in Thailand.  Many expats are living in Vietnam this way.

The married expats get a 5 year multiple entry visa for around $50USD. 

Bank account and drivers license can be obtained with a 3 month tourist visa, and foreigners can own property in a similar style as foreigners own land in Thailand. 

1 year visas are not on hold for American citizens, my friend just returned with his second in a row.

On September 8, 2019 at 12:47 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

They already clamp down, reject business visas as all agents just issued them on fake companies...

Expats and retirees were making false companies, then getting letters from these false companies.

probably Thailand expat rejects that can't stay in Thailand any longer and are starting the same <deleted> in Vietnam.

glad the viet immigration is clamping down on these Thai rejects.

On September 8, 2019 at 12:57 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Same as Thailand, tons of people complain, and worst is vietnam blocks you from leaving the country if they think you didn't pay your taxes.

Nice prison to live in.

Thomas bkk, Man U have some issues! Leave the cheap Chang alone before posting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On September 10, 2019 at 1:43 AM, BritManToo said:

I booked a little trip to Hanoi (from Chiang Mai) next month, 2,900bht return on AirAsia, VISA waiver on entry, booked a room in the Old City for 400bht/night including breakfast. Never been to Hanoi before, looking forward to it. Considered a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen and balcony for 600bht/night, but didn't really need the space, I might try a couple of nights there.

I've been to Saigon several times, and Da Nang once earlier this year, enjoyed all my trips there.

Prices for everything are very cheap, will definitely be visiting 'Beer street'.

8 baht a beer on beer street.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, Max69xl said:

In Cambodia you just drop your Passport in at almost any travel agent store, along with $300, and a week later collect your passport with a 1 year multiple entry VISA, no TM30s, no 90 day reporting, no financial requirements. Similar game in the Philippines.

If you don't think that's easier than Thailand, you're out of your mind.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

In Cambodia you just drop your Passport in at almost any travel agent store, along with $300, and a week later collect your passport with a 1 year multiple entry VISA, no TM30s, no 90 day reporting, no financial requirements.

If you don't think that's easier than Thailand, you're out of your mind.

And the hospitals are so wonderful too

3 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

1 year visas are not on hold for American citizens, my friend just returned with his second in a row.

I suggest you read the first sentence of my post again.

You will see I clearly said Americans get a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa for around $195USD.