Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

On 11/14/2019 at 2:35 AM, chrisandsu said:

Where is better to pick up a 30 something issarn beauty with a momma ,papa , and a horde of kids and a motorbike taxi husband ? Pattaya is unique ????

I don't think many "30 something Issarn beauties" are getting visas bought for them to go to China or India.  Hope the moto taxi husband is getting some fares.    ????

I just saw a story from Vietnam, too.  Teacher given 11 years for Facebook posts..how long will it be before they realize Thailand is dumping its undesirables on them.  You know the saying.. Don't cheat a cheater.. Perhaps the only nationality better at cheating than the Chinese... 

2 hours ago, moontang said:

I just saw a story from Vietnam, too.  Teacher given 11 years for Facebook posts..how long will it be before they realize Thailand is dumping its undesirables on them.  You know the saying.. Don't cheat a cheater.. Perhaps the only nationality better at cheating than the Chinese... 

Please correct if I'm wrong, the teacher who was prosecuted was actually Vietnamese.

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Saw this on another forum: "Just had a wonderful vacation in Vietnam, prices 30% cheaper than Thailand. "

Vietnam is a good example to show there are alternatives to Thailand. 

There are many other countries to choose from -

Philippines 

Cambodia

Laos 

Myanmar

Taiwan

When Airlines start offering cheaper flights, maybe even non stop flights to these countries. This will motivate tourists to travel elsewhere. 

I was looking on a popular travel website that had a 1 Stop flight from London to Saigon, less than 15 hours each way for just £511. Ironically that was with Thai Airways.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mostcurious said:

Please correct if I'm wrong, the teacher who was prosecuted was actually Vietnamese.

Vietnam is a good example to show there are alternatives to Thailand. 

There are many other countries to choose from -

Philippines 

Cambodia

Laos 

Myanmar

Taiwan

Outside of Taiwan, an outlier for Western tourism your list would be for budget travelers. Now for the wealthy from cold winter countries the East coast/islands of Malaysia would be an alternative to Thailand, as well as Indonesian resorts.

12 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

He has a second job moonlighting as the brother ????

Point being, they are not being plucked from a bar, given money every month, and taken back to the foreigner's country. Not to mention, not as many bar fines, lady drinks, and not as much "employment" back in a hotel room.   

The Chinese and Indians are not taking over this role from the westerners in the amounts that their tourist numbers would suggest.  ????

14 hours ago, moontang said:

The teacher was Vietnamese, not a western English teacher. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Point being, they are not being plucked from a bar, given money every month, and taken back to the foreigner's country. Not to mention, not as many bar fines, lady drinks, and not as much "employment" back in a hotel room.   

The Chinese and Indians are not taking over this role from the westerners in the amounts that their tourist numbers would suggest.  ????

Oh I gotcha ! Who’s going to be issarns child welfare system now then ? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Oh I gotcha ! Who’san going to be issarns child welfare system now then ? 

An Indian friend once told me Indians do not marry prostitutes. It does not bode well for these esan gals now the jai Dee farang have departed. Very sad indeed. 

Edited by Langkawee
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, moontang said:

Teacher given 11 years for Facebook posts..how long will it be before they realize Thailand is dumping its undesirables on them. 

No, you didn't say the teacher was a farang, but the above quote is misleading, mainly due to the grammar used, and the way the sentence was constructed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Oh I gotcha ! Who’s going to be issarns child welfare system now then ? 

The pickings will become so slim that a lot of these girls will probably just have to go and get a proper job. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

No, you didn't say the teacher was a farang, but the above quote is misleading, mainly due to the grammar used, and the way the sentence was constructed.  

Yes very misleading, he's probably an English teacher, lol. We all know dissidents are treated so well in the land of scams, lol. 

Edited by Langkawee

5 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Yes very misleading, he's probably an English teacher, lol. We all know dissidents are treated so well in the land of scams, lol. 

Perhaps what he means is he concerned about Vietnamese citizens who exercise free speech using social media platforms is offensive.

Should I inform Vietnamese authorities of these undesirables, that is of their indigenous population I come across on my travels ?

Could someone please explain ?

Maybe I'm looking into this to deeply.

14 hours ago, Langkawee said:

An Indian friend once told me Indians do not marry prostitutes. It does not bode well for these esan gals now the jai Dee farang have departed. Very sad indeed. 

I thought they were heavily involved in the fake marriage scams here.

Pattaya is like police state. Checkpoints 24/7 I drive a lot big bike got all papers dont drink, but situation is extraordinary. Stopped 3 times a day offten everyday. On top of that they do urine tests etc. Fining pot smokers 10k on spot even they smoked legally at home countries. 

One time cop told me whats ur bike cc I said 1000cc he said my licence not good for 1000cc only scooter, tho no such licences and mine full thai 5 years. Less checkpoints in Baghdad. I travel asia a lot too. Never seen this bad. In vietnam its hard to see cop, only one i

I saw was directing traffic. If I wouldn't be attached here I would leave to other place most likely. 

Edited by Xaos
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mostcurious said:

Perhaps what he means is he concerned about Vietnamese citizens who exercise free speech using social media platforms is offensive.

Should I inform Vietnamese authorities of these undesirables, that is of their indigenous population I come across on my travels ?

Could someone please explain ?

Maybe I'm looking into this to deeply.

I don't see a lot of difference between a Vietnamese dissident being jailed, and the computer crimes act and defamation cases in Thailand. 

They are both designed to restrict freedom of speech, and silence the truth.

I disagree with it in Thailand, and Vietnam.

When we look at the Communist Government of Vietnam, and the military Thai Government, I also don't see a lot of difference. 

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't see a lot of difference between a Vietnamese dissident being jailed, and the computer crimes act and defamation cases in Thailand. 

They are both designed to restrict freedom of speech, and silence the truth.

I disagree with it in Thailand, and Vietnam.

When we look at the Communist Government of Vietnam, and the military Thai Government, I also don't see a lot of difference. 

Tho Vietnam is communist country and Thailand "democratic" 

Edit

Missed ur last bit. Same thing

Edited by Xaos
Same same

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ca+na+beach+vietnam&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj61p7bvPDlAhWCyjgGHXwaCV0QsAR6BAgJEAE&cshid=1573967329592218&biw=1920&bih=974

The good thing about the Central coast of Vietnam is the island clear water right on the mainland coast. Due to the geology: dry, rocky and steep. So you dont have to schlep to some island for very nice water. To those that say you can find clear water in many internet searches anywhere. I stayed in Ca Na beach . Also took the train from Hanoi to Saigon. There were areas on the Central coast where I could look down from the train on side of rocky hill over the water, and I could see the sea bottom all the way out into deep water.. So beautiful clear water on mainland for economy travelers  as well as wealthy: I just noticed that high end Amanoi has a resort on Central coast now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xaos said:

Pattaya is like police state. Checkpoints 24/7 I drive a lot big bike got all papers dont drink, but situation is extraordinary. Stopped 3 times a day offten everyday. On top of that they do urine tests etc. Fining pot smokers 10k on spot even they smoked legally at home countries. 

One time cop told me whats ur bike cc I said 1000cc he said my licence not good for 1000cc only scooter, tho no such licences and mine full thai 5 years. Less checkpoints in Baghdad. I travel asia a lot too. Never seen this bad. In vietnam its hard to see cop, only one i

I saw was directing traffic. If I wouldn't be attached here I would leave to other place most likely. 

Talked to a Russian riding motorbike for 4 months in Hanoi. Never stopped by police. Myself never stopped in Hanoi riding 2 weeks,  nor riding to Laos border. Thus Vietnam has backpacker market.  Chiang Mai can easily be stopped 12 times in a day. This with the carnage I will never ride again if i  ever  return. 

Edited by Langkawee
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 2:34 PM, Leaver said:

How many military coups has Thailand had in recent history?

How many members of a certain family, and their political party, are now in exile?

And you think a communist country is unstable and Thailand is stable?   ????

Alas this is true. There's no bounce back from this military coup. Its dragged Thailand into the gutter of corruption,  incompetence,  injustice,  fear, am

and debt. There is no moderator anymore to guide this ship of state and contain the idiocy of the military. Thailand is now as backwards as parts of Africa and soon will be the Zimbabwe of SE Asia.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xaos said:

I do not drive a motorbike but many of my friends do. They are rarely stopped, and when stopped,  politely checked for correct paperwork. Breath tests are rare and urine tests for pot  never. I call BS on aspects of the above rant. On the checkpoint on Pratumnak/ Thapraya both Thais and foreigners do get checked, mainly for paperwork and helmet issues.  However, Thailand is a corrupt police state run by a military junta. its just that in the past only Thais suffered but now due to irreversible changes among ths power elite foreigners are now suffering too. There is an unholy puritanical alliance between the sangha, the power elite and the army to reshape Thailand, break the people and control western influence. This has always been the way of Siam. Saigon is more tolerant than any city in Thailand.  Hanoi is not.

Vietnam used to have a bad reputation for Vietnamese trying to scam you the whole time. I know in 1998 when i was backpacking everyone i met confirmed this was still the case so i avoided it, tried it in 2008 and a couple of text book scams were tried on me, luckily I'd read Lonely Planet where they were listed.

Vietnam doesn't have this problem anymore?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Vietnam used to have a bad reputation for Vietnamese trying to scam you the whole time. I know in 1998 when i was backpacking everyone i met confirmed this was still the case so i avoided it, tried it in 2008 and a couple of text book scams were tried on me, luckily I'd read Lonely Planet where they were listed.

Vietnam doesn't have this problem anymore?

Was there in 06 and had no scams at all pulled on me . I loved the place even then .They did like to take a dump on the beaches though . 

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2019 at 1:29 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Alas this is true. There's no bounce back from this military coup. Its dragged Thailand into the gutter of corruption,  incompetence,  injustice,  fear, am

and debt. There is no moderator anymore to guide this ship of state and contain the idiocy of the military. Thailand is now as backwards as parts of Africa and soon will be the Zimbabwe of SE Asia.

Unfortunately, it appears the governance Thailand currently has, will be the governance Thailand will have well into the foreseeable future. 

This does not bode well for foreign investment, and foreigners living here. 

Whilst the Thai's must accept the county's fate, tourists and expats do not have to, and can holiday elsewhere, or leave, and from what I am seeing and hearing, they are.  

• Like 1