Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

8 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Don't listen to these vietnam people, TM30 equivalent exists in vietnam and even cambodia:

I don't listen to them, and I am quite sure quite a few posters here don't have a clue about rules and regulations at the moment. Some are still posting info about 1 year visas in VN, when they actually have stopped issuing them. 

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Same as Thailand, tons of people complain, and worst is vietnam blocks you from leaving the country if they think you didn't pay your taxes.

Nice prison to live in.

communist government with a shocking human rights record, they can do what they like with you. Would not want to be on the wrong side of the law over there

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I am an expat and have been living here for years. I don't personally see my life here as costly. My rent is 25-30% cheaper than in my home country. I am staying in a 76 sqm condo for a really low price. I have no problems what so ever at the local Immigration office. I have timed every needed visit with my 90 days reports. I can't complain about anything than maybe crappy exchange rates. But I can't do anything about that. Nothing to get a heart attack from. ????

Sure.  I'm happy here also.  However, Vietnam's pay as you go visa system is cheaper and easier than Thailand's system.

Another thing, someone under 50 can live in Vietnam on tourist visas, without any grief.  

There is a reason the OP states Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya / Thailand, and Vietnam's easier and cheaper visa system is just one of the reasons. 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

communist government with a shocking human rights record, they can do what they like with you. Would not want to be on the wrong side of the law over there

Just let the whiners go there. Then wait and see how long they will stay. 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Must be so scary for all the tourist flocking there.  ???? 

Check out the graph for Europeans. 

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/items/14177

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Sure.  I'm happy here also.  However, Vietnam's pay as you go visa system is cheaper and easier than Thailand's system.

Another thing, someone under 50 can live in Vietnam on tourist visas, without any grief.  

There is a reason the OP states Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya / Thailand, and Vietnam's easier and cheaper visa system is just one of the reasons. 

The visa system in VN is not easier at the moment. Nothing in my opinion can be easier than the 1 year extension here which takes me less than 5min every time. I am also staying 5min from Immigration.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I will probably use an agent and stay in Thailand.

This thread is about the tourists going to Vietnam, and how "scary" that is for Pattaya / Thailand.  Today's tourist is tomorrows retiree, and when the next wave of retirees compare visa systems, which one do you think they will view as more cheap and easy, thus, more user friendly?

Well possibly like you they may consider it cheap and easy, thus, more user friendly but actually choose to stay in Thailand for some bizarre reason best known to themselves.

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What taxes????

Tax Residents in Vietnam have to pay tax on their worldwide income at progressive taxrates. Therefore, salary earned from working abroad is taxable in Vietnam.

Horrible alternative for young people that earn income to thailand. Might be ok as a retiree.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

On 8/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

That's why they have no retirment visa?

You can stay forever on a tourist visa in Vietnam. They don't split hairs on strict definitions like Thailand does. They don't obsess over idiocies such as "having the correct visa."  Get a tourist visa and renew it forever or get a business visa for a year and you don't even have to leave the country. With a tourist visa, you will have to cross the border every ninety days. SInce Vietnam is progressive, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before they fine tune their visa process to do away with the requirement to leave every 90 days on a tourist visa. The Philippines is currently the standard bearer for sane visa regulations. You are only required to leave the country every three years and like Vietnam, you can renew your tourist visa FOREVER!!!

Edited by KhunFred
Clarity
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The visa system in VN is not easier at the moment. Nothing in my opinion can be easier than the 1 year extension here which takes me less than 5min every time. I am also staying 5min from Immigration.

thai Retirement extension is the best in SEA.Never need to leave the country again. for those running don't blame Thailand but blame your Embassy

31 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Well possibly like you they may consider it cheap and easy, thus, more user friendly but actually choose to stay in Thailand for some bizarre reason best known to themselves.

If people say that it's easier to stay in VN as an expat compared to Thailand,then they don't know what they're talking about. I have seen so many posts here that are inaccurate.

People who doesn't meet the requirements are the ones complaining the most. Where common tourists are going for their holidays are totally irrelevant. The way you enter Thailand or VN is exactly the same. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Just let the whiners go there. Then wait and see how long they will stay. 

If it is cheaper and easier in Vietnam, they may stay there since they are on a very fixed budget.  Fine with me, I look forward to the lower class 'campers' leaving Thailand.  More for me to enjoy without having to see homeless expats on the streets.  Mostly it seems like this type are lathering themselves up for a move to Vietnam. Good riddance, I see this as a good thing.  Scary?  LMAO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

If it is cheaper and easier in Vietnam, they may stay there since they are on a very fixed budget.  Fine with me, I look forward to the lower class 'campers' leaving Thailand.  More for me to enjoy without having to see homeless expats on the streets.  Mostly it seems like this type are lathering themselves up for a move to Vietnam. Good riddance, I see this as a good thing.  Scary?  LMAO

I agree, I won't miss them either. 

But I do understand the financial problems for some of the expats from the UK.

I know a lot of people from especially England, and some of them are struggling now,and a few went home after many years here.

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

You can stay forever on a tourist visa in Vietnam. They don't split hairs on strict definitions like Thailand does. They don't obsess over idiocies such as "having the correct visa."  Get a tourist visa and renew it forever or get a business visa for a year and you don't even have to leave the country. With a tourist visa, you will have to cross the border every ninety days. SInce Vietnam is progressive, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before they fine tune their visa process to do away with the requirement to leave every 90 days on a tourist visa. The Philippines is currently the standard bearer for sane visa regulations. You are only required to leave the country every three years and like Vietnam, you can renew your tourist visa FOREVER!!!

Until it isn't anymore and too many people come, aka the chinese.

I don't get it into my head how someone can expatriate on a touri visa, it's just waiting for trouble to happen, might be ok as young backpacker but not for someone with a serious life.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Edited by ThomasThBKK

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

You're missing the point. Who wants to stay anywhere FOREVER as a tourist? I don't consider myself a tourist in Thailand and I am officially on a retirement visa and have several stamps in my passport proving that. You can do your 3 months extensions in VN and leave the country every 12 months if you prefer that. I won't. Get it?

For me it's so easy to do my 1 year extensions and 90 days reports, I don't need to complain about Thai Immigration all the time and I don't have to worry about the financial requirements. 

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You're missing the point. Who wants to stay anywhere FOREVER as a tourist? I don't consider myself a tourist in Thailand and I am officially on a retirement visa and have several stamps in my passport proving that.

The only difference to tourists is that you are being granted a longer term visit extension, for purposes of being over 50 and meeting Immigration requirements, subject to change.

People under 50 can stay for 20 years as tourists in Thailand, with paid options. They are still tourists as far as Immigration is concerned.

You are a visitor, if you like the terminology better. If you comply with the requirements next year, whatever they will be, then you may extend your visit.

Would not really use the word "retirement", it's slightly misleading.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lkv said:

The only difference to tourists is that you are being granted a longer term visit extension, for purposes of being over 50 and meeting Immigration requirements, subject to change.

People under 50 can stay for 20 years as tourists in Thailand, with paid options. They are still tourists as far as Immigration is concerned.

You are a visitor, if you like the terminology better. If you comply with the requirements next year, whatever they will be, then you may extend your visit.

Would not really use the word "retirement", it's slightly misleading.

It's not misleading. My visa is officially based on retirement,and the financial requirements have been the same for many years,with a few changes this year. You and other "tourists" can go on with your border hopping and continuously whining about Immigration and changes. 

17 hours ago, Max69xl said:

That won't show if you were below 400k anytime in between the 90 days check and 2 months before next extension. 

Not sure about other people but I chose an account with a pass book where every transaction is listed, so fairly transparent. Seemed easy and less complicated.

19 hours ago, madmen said:

It isn't so great here either. They will take you for every satang they can get.

• Like 1

It's not misleading. My visa is officially based on retirement,and the financial requirements have been the same for many years,with a few changes this year. You and other "tourists" can go on with your border hopping and continuously whining about Immigration and changes. 
Semantics
You and everybody else who is here on a visa of any kind is not settled in the sense that you have any rights to stay here

I think the other poster is trying to establish that you are not a resident, so not exactly a fixture of Thailand
In that sense everybody on any visa is purely a guest (tourist) as it can be revoked

Maybe I have misinterpreted the gist of it......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1