The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

Geelong go into the grand final.... a hard fought match with a desperate last quarter by both side. Good try Collingwood.

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Geelong 4.4 7.6 9.13 13.14 (92)

Collingwood 2.5 6.7 9.8 13.9 (87)

Go Cats!!!

:D

The cats are starting to look like pussies, next week could be their last miaow, go the roos :D:o

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now the troll is dealt with, one magpie has gone, reckon we see another one go this afternoon.

Any one who picked the Crows for the flag this season is more than welcome to say my side won't win it. :D:D

I would rather see a victorian team win than listen the the pooer supporters crowing, go the roos :o

Another 2 team man, the Crows and who ever is playing Port. :D

Big Game on Friday night for the Cats and the Magpies.

I had picked a win to the Cats based on their form but there was always a chance of the 'pies winning because of their passion and grit. I think the Magpies played an interesting style of game in the first three quarters. Throughout the year the Cats have dictated terms and play and it has worked to their favour with the top spot on the ladder and a long run of unbroken wins. On Friday though the Magpies refused to play according to that plan and the result was an even struggle between two teams standing toe to toe with everything depending on who got the break.

It was only in the last quarter that the Cats managed to drag the game back to their preferred playing style but even so it was still a close thing. I think the Cats got a big shock but to give them credit their players kept it together and won.

Most of the Magpies had a good day but Sav Rocca had only a couple of touches as he was firmly kept out of the game by Scarlett. Buckley looked out of touch most of the game and was being frustrated with the lack of possessions.

One thing that hurt the Pies was the omission of Josh Fraser and Brad Ottens had the majority of tap outs over a clearly outclassed and played Chris Bryan. The magpies gave up on Bryan getting a tap and changed to trying to intercept Ottens'

In the end it was a fair win - the Cats are a better team but with the Power on fire after their game with the Roos they will need to reevalute their game during the week if they have any hope of winning the game against them.

GOALS

Geelong: S Johnson 3, Stokes 3, Mooney 2, G Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Ottens, Rooke

Collingwood: Cloke 3, Medhurst 3, Rusling 2, Didak 2, Burns, Davis, O’Bree

BEST

Collingwood: H. Shaw, Clement, Lockyer, Clarke, O'Bree, O'Brien, Buckley, Cloke

Geelong: G Ablett, Ottens, Corey, Bartel, S Johnson, Scarlett, Milburn, Hunt

INJURIES

Geelong: Nil

Collingwood: A Rocca (ankle), Fraser (back), replaced in selected side by Bryan

Reports: Nil

Umpires: S McBurney, S McLaren, S McInerney.

Official crowd: 98,002

Saturday Port Power v The Roos

Well I thought Power would win and they did in a most emphatic manner, they buried the Roos in the middle of AAMI stadium by a massive 87 points. I think that if the Cats didn't watch the game and think "oh oh we may have a problem" then they will deserve the same fate next Saturday. Power were strong and fast, they took chances some that worked and others that didn't. What they didn't do was lose the plot and roll back the pressure. The Roos kicked 5.16 which is a pathetic effort and they should be ashamed of themselves. To miss by that much is not what finals football is about.

There really isn't much more to say than the results stand for them self

PORT ADELAIDE 6.0 9.3 17.10 20.13 (133)

KANGAROOS 3.2 3.7 4.10 5.16 (46)

Goals: Port Adelaide: D Motlop 3, W Tredrea 3, B Ebert 3, D Rodan 2, T Logan 2, S Salopek 2, T Boak, D Pearce, K Cornes, C Cornes, J Westhoff. Kangaroos: S Grant 2, E Lower, D Harris, A Edwards.

Best: Port Adelaide: T Chaplin, S Burgoyne, C Cornes, T Logan, D Pearce, J Surjan, D Rodan, B Ebert, D Motlop. Kangaroos: D Harris, A Simpson, J Sinclair, G Archer, E Lower.

Umpires: M Vozzo, H Kennedy, B Rosebury.

Official crowd: 44,953 at AAMI Stadium.

I won't be able to see the match next week because I will be in Malaysia but I hope the game is strong and even. It would be a tragedy if the Cats get rolled the same way as the Roos.

That said - my tip is Power to win the Grand Final based purely on form

CB

Thanks CB, I'd like to add that Brogan rucked well after his absence through injury and Wakelin looked like the true finals player he is. It's great getting him back at this stage of the season especially after the role he played in the 2004 premiership. Then Tredrea kicked three goals, the captains in form!!

Tragically inaugural team member Micheal Wilson snapped an Achilles tendon, almost certainly ending the 30 year olds career.

Finally, some big name players had a quiet day, they can only take a step up next week.

We have a team containing 11 experienced premiership players and a dozen kids with their careers in front of them. Not a bad mix in my opinion.

I notice our usually noisy Cat's supporters have gone quient all of a sudden. I expected to see at least two of them posting up big for next week and an analytical review of the game they had :o

In seriousness - having seen both games I cannot see how the Cats can beat Power unless they succumb to Grand Final fever and lose the plot on the MCG. If the Cats can play their game they should win but if the Power can force the game to their style then they will be too strong. I think (hope) it is a great game, this year has been a good one for Australian Football, some great games, some disapointments, some controversy and that is what footy is all about.

Good luck to both teams but I am still sticking for Power to win. It will either be a close one or a blow out.

CB

Are any of you guys coming along to the Australian Chamber of Commerce AFL Final bash at the Sheraton in Bangkok on Saturday?

Last year we had John Elliott as guest speaker... this year it's gonna be Merv Hughes.

Should be fun.

Geelong go into the grand final.... a hard fought match with a desperate last quarter by both side. Good try Collingwood.

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Just caught the start as the ABC had made an error in their scheduling. AND the PSI coverage will start at 13:30 this arvo and not 14:30 as advertised.

What hole did the Troll - JimmyCA come out of??

why do you say troll. this thread poprd up on "view new posts" so i put in my 2 cents. I see many sods drinking and watching soccer and often wonder why they are so interrested in watching something they are clearly in no shape to participate in. same with baseball and flloball in the US. Spectator Sods one and all I say, just like women watching the afternoon soaps

Jimmy Bartel won the Brownlow!!!

Another win for the cats!!!

Brownlow 2007 Top Ten:

29 - Jimmy Bartel (Geel)

22 - Simon Black (Bris)

22 - Brent Harvey (Kang)

22* - Daniel Kerr (WC)

21 - Sam Mitchell (Haw)

20 - Gary Ablett (Geel)

20 - Dane Swan (Coll)

20* - Adam Goodes (Syd)

18 - Scott Thompson (Adel)

17 - Jonathan Brown (Bris)

Geelong midfield stars Jimmy Bartel, Gary Ablett and Joel Corey wrote their names into Brownlow medal history. The trio polled 61 votes between them, the most by any three players from one club in the history of the 3,2,1 Brownlow system.

Bring on Port, this is the year of the Cat!

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Just caught the start as the ABC had made an error in their scheduling. AND the PSI coverage will start at 13:30 this arvo and not 14:30 as advertised.

What hole did the Troll - JimmyCA come out of??

why do you say troll. this thread poprd up on "view new posts" so i put in my 2 cents. I see many sods drinking and watching soccer and often wonder why they are so interrested in watching something they are clearly in no shape to participate in. same with baseball and flloball in the US. Spectator Sods one and all I say, just like women watching the afternoon soaps

What's flloball? Is it a new sport or do you suffer from dyslexia?

Why don't you put your opinion in "general" where it could be discussed by other's that may support your view?

Saying that only out of shape people watch sport on TV is one of the more foolish things I've read anywhere, don't you think that flloball players watch the baseball?

Shit, here I am feeding the troll!!!!

Edited by sceadugenga

The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth, Whaddaya reckon?

:o thanks for the morning laff :D

I once saw an AFL game live at Telstra Stadium in Sydney, I think it was Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions. I can’t remember the final score, it was a confusing game with lots of things happening at the same time at both ends of the pitch. Several referees running in out of the pitch, players fighting each other well away from the ball. Backroom staff storming in to pass water bottles to players, coaches and reserves jumping up and down the bench, I couldn’t but laugh at the going. It didn’t make any sense but boy wasn’t it funny? 555 lol I didn’t watch the whole charade as I was at the stadium for other reasons but I enjoyed the show, maybe not as the aussies would have appreciated. 555 lol again

Once thing that I had noticed (also at AFL & Rugby events everywhere in Australia) is the fans are well behaved (by European standards anyway) and saw Swans & Lions supporters going in the stadium shoulder to shoulder, whole families wearing jersey of opposing teams merrily strolling along. Amazing, that would never happen in Blighty or anywhere in Europe. Credit to them.

Here a pic I had taken that day, if the memory serves me right it must have been August 2005.

Silly little game

post-7932-1190786955_thumb.jpg

If I remember rightly in recent years the team whose player wins the Brownlow did fare well in the final. BUT in saying that I have to stick with my original selection. Port will not win!

lets hope so, life will be unbearble here if the warfies/rapists/car thieves/swindlers/kleptomaniacs/shoplifters/paedofiles/buggars/ win

If I remember rightly in recent years the team whose player wins the Brownlow did fare well in the final. BUT in saying that I have to stick with my original selection. Port will not win!

lets hope so, life will be unbearble here if the warfies/rapists/car thieves/swindlers/kleptomaniacs/shoplifters/paedofiles/buggars/ win

Why don't you vent a little of that spleen on the couple of trolls we seem to have picked up?

Why don't you vent a little of that spleen on the couple of trolls we seem to have picked up?

Just ignore them... they'll get bored and piss off soon... :D

Have you heard this one...?

A cannibal was walking through the jungle and came upon a restaurant operated by a fellow cannibal. Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down and looked over the menu...

Broiled Missionary: $10.00 -

Fried Explorer: $15.00 -

Grilled Adelaide supporter: $10.00 -

Baked Port supporter: $100. 00 -

The cannibal called the waiter over and asked, 'Why such a price difference for the Port supporter ?'

The cook replied, "Have you ever tried to clean one? They're so full of shit, it takes all morning."

:o

Knights takes Bomber hot seat

FORMER Tiger Matthew Knights has been appointed Essendon's new coach. The 36-year-old won the job after it became clear Geelong's Mark Thompson was staying put.

Knights played 279 games for Richmond from 1988 - 2002 and now succeeds Kevin Sheedy, who coached Essendon for 27 years.

Knights this year coached Essendon's VFL affiliate, The Bendigo Bombers, after joining Essendon's coaching group in 2004.

Previously he coached Port Adelaide's SANFL side in 2003. Knights said he was proud to be appointed coach of such a stable, powerful club. "I can't wait to get my hands dirty, I am ready to go," he said.

Knights said he would do things differently to Sheedy and had begun creating his own coaching practices. "I am going to be very different to Kevin," he said. "In saying that, Kevin is just amazing in what he has done with the Essendon Football Club."

Knights said he was "bullish" about his players' abilities but admitted former West Coast captain Chris Judd would be a fantastic addition to the Bombers' playing list.

Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson says the process to find the right coach had been an exhaustive one, which began with 18 candidates. That list was eventually whittled down to two, Knights and Hawthorn assistant coach Damien Hardwick.

Jackson said Geelong coach Mark Thompson was not among those candidates.

He said the Bombers could not afford to wait for Thompson's grand final commitments to finish. "We couldn't sit here for three more weeks," Jackson said.

Jackson said Knights had benefited from knowing the Essendon players, their attributes and what the club needed.

Among Knights' first jobs will be to review Essendon's playing list, appointing his assistant coaches and possibly spearheading the Bombers' push to recruit Judd.

I nearly posted yesterday to say Damien Hardwick was a certainty for the job! :o

Edited by Old Croc

I'm in a dilemma with this years Grand Final.

I, of course, hate all Melbourne sides and would want them to lose, but Port reminds me too much of Fremantle for whom I wish a fate of lanquishing in the bottom half of the ladder for all eternity.

I think I will just have the usual few (dozen) beers at the mates place and be amused by my TGF's attempts to barrack without really knowing what's going on.

Are any of you guys coming along to the Australian Chamber of Commerce AFL Final bash at the Sheraton in Bangkok on Saturday?

Last year we had John Elliott as guest speaker... this year it's gonna be Merv Hughes.

Should be fun.

I'm heading up to Bangers after work tonight.

Anyone fancy catching up for an ale or two after the big game tomorrow?

Just ignore them... they'll get bored and piss off soon... :D

Have you heard this one...?

A cannibal was walking through the jungle and came upon a restaurant operated by a fellow cannibal. Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down and looked over the menu...

Broiled Missionary: $10.00 -

Fried Explorer: $15.00 -

Grilled Adelaide supporter: $10.00 -

Baked Port supporter: $100. 00 -

The cannibal called the waiter over and asked, 'Why such a price difference for the Port supporter ?'

The cook replied, "Have you ever tried to clean one? They're so full of shit, it takes all morning."

:o

Ho Hum,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1531292

Should be fun.

I'm heading up to Bangers after work tonight.

Anyone fancy catching up for an ale or two after the big game tomorrow?

JD, I'd give quids to be there but have a couple of Adelaide mates here, one Crows and one Collingwood so not too good a mates' :o and the good news is that the Satellite connection that shall not be named is up and running perfectly with the Australia Network.

Edited by sceadugenga

I'm in a dilemma with this years Grand Final.

I, of course, hate all Melbourne sides and would want them to lose, but Port reminds me too much of Fremantle for whom I wish a fate of lanquishing in the bottom half of the ladder for all eternity.

I think I will just have the usual few (dozen) beers at the mates place and be amused by my TGF's attempts to barrack without really knowing what's going on.

We're nothing like Freo Croc, other than a little waterside breeze in the nostrils. Port exceed their critics expectations, while Freo.... yeah that.