The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

Judd's the best player in the league, if you can think of a better one let me know.

Actually South Australia came up with the Player Retention Scheme in the '80s to keep South Australian players home and the Vics really spewed, screamed restraint of trade and what ever else. All these players went to the Crows when they were formed, including thirteen players who had played in the previous five winning State of Origin sides against Victoria. Not that they did much good.

Sorry, getting a bit pissed, that plane crash at Phuket really shook me up. Poor bl00dy people.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments in the "Eagles flying high" forum on Judd leaving. Not much sense of humor there.

In a way you can hardly blame Judd, Perth is like a great big fishbowl for AFL players, something which I don't think is as bad in Adelaide where you have a similar background.

Some of those Vic boys never settle down away from home anyway; all the interstate clubs have lost good draft picks like this, but none, I think, of the caliber of Judd.

Although the media has reported it as a huge shock to the Eagles club and supporters, Judds defection was one of footies worst kept secrets.

The rumour went around weeks ago that his girlfriend, the delectable Rebecca Twiggly, had registered with a Melbourne Uni for the coming year. I would have been a lot more surprised to hear he had re-signed with the Eagles, than that was going to Melbourne.

At least someone else can pay for his groin surgery! (sort of hope he never quite recovers to his former glory :o )

The rumour went around weeks ago that his girlfriend, the delectable Rebecca Twiggly, had registered with a Melbourne Uni for the coming year.

At least someone else can pay for his groin surgery!

Maybe that is how he damaged the groin? - all a plot by the Victorian teams to put him out of action :o

CB

The rumour went around weeks ago that his girlfriend, the delectable Rebecca Twiggly, had registered with a Melbourne Uni for the coming year.

At least someone else can pay for his groin surgery!

Maybe that is how he damaged the groin? - all a plot by the Victorian teams to put him out of action :o

CB

Dastardly scum, are there no depths to which they will not stoop? Well I suppose if you're gonna have to have a groin strain.....

At least we know that the pride of the non Vic clubs is in safe hands this season.

post-38081-1190007916_thumb.jpg

All Australian side picked last night. Says a lot for the standard of captaincy in the league when Crows' champion Andrew McLeod got that spot when he's never captained his own side.

Not surprisingly nine Geelong players got a blazer and the Cornes' brothers became the first brothers to be picked since the Maddens in '87.

OK, discuss.

All Australian side picked last night. Says a lot for the standard of captaincy in the league when Crows' champion Andrew McLeod got that spot when he's never captained his own side.

Not surprisingly nine Geelong players got a blazer and the Cornes' brothers became the first brothers to be picked since the Maddens in '87.

OK, discuss.

Collingwood are dirty they didn't get a single player in the squad, let alone the final team! :D

Breaking news: Just heard Len Thompson (Collingwood Brownlow medalist) died of a heart attack overnight. :o

Edited by Old Croc

Hawks are now interested in Judd as well.

I told some friends at the end of the home and away series not to discount the Pies for the flag. The only way we can be saved from this now is for me to go against all my beliefs and start supporting them. That should f#ck em!

One possible outcome from the next round would be if Collingwood beat Geelong and Port Power beat The Roos. That would set up a grudge match of great proportion between the Victorian Magpies and the South Australian Magpies. Port Power wanted to go into the AFL as Port Adelaide but were refused and cannot use anything of their own Magpies logo.

I doubt that the 'woods will be able to beat Geelong but they were definitely on fire last week and are a proud club. I would not be surprised if Malthouse and "that man again" Eddie "I liked the team so much I bought it" have pushed the players that they didn't make the All Australian Team and to get out there and prove the selectors wrong.

So come on guys put up your selection and tell it straight - if you are going for Collingwood are you doing it because you think they are the better team and if you are going for the Cats is it because you will barrack for anyone as long as it isn't Collingwood.

My tips remain the same:

Cats to win over the Magpies

Power to win over the Roos

For those interested my choices are purely from what I think are the better teams at this time.

CB

Arrrgh.... Just typed a half page reply then clicked on "close fast reply".

Not to worry, it was just a long winded way of saying it will be a Port/Collingwood Grand Final.

I still think that going on form at this time it will most likely be a Cats v Power Grand Final and I think that the Power will win that game. Sadly I am going to be in Malaysia and working on the Saturday of the match so will miss it even if I could find a place there showing it. :o

CB

Collingwood could only manage a regular time draw against a fumbling, stumbling, injury and clanger racked Eagles team.

They will get slaughtered by the Geelong powerhouse team!

The other game depends on which Kangaroos side turns up this week. They are either very good or total crap. Port should still win this one, but won't repeat against The Cats.

(Some old Cats players believe the club is cursed after losing their last 5 grand finals over 44 years. Previously, after winning GF's they used to bury symbols of the losing side in the middle of Skilled Stadium. Dead magpies, toy bomber planes, etc. They didn't do so after beating the Hawks and haven't won again since! They say if they beat Port Power they will bury a light pole in the oval!)

Edited by Old Croc

We'll cream 'em, but I honestly don't think it will come to that. I really think Geelong will choke against the 'Woods.

Who, of course, will get the dreaded Collywobbles in the GF.

who was your VFL team before the AFL old one? I switched from St Kilda to Colingwood when Mark Williams went there, then Brisbane. Never fancied the Eagles, too much of the show pony, but were glad to see them win their flags.

(Some old Cats players believe the club is cursed after losing their last 5 grand finals over 44 years. Previously, after winning GF's they used to bury symbols of the losing side in the middle of Skilled Stadium. Dead magpies, toy bomber planes, etc. They didn't do so after beating the Hawks and haven't won again since! They say if they beat Port Power they will bury a light pole in the oval!)

That's a really interesting story - this year I think Port Power are hoping to bury the Cats in the MCG :o

CB

who was your VFL team before the AFL old one? I switched from St Kilda to Colingwood when Mark Williams went there, then Brisbane. Never fancied the Eagles, too much of the show pony, but were glad to see them win their flags.

I was a (then called) North Melbourne fan. When they looked like going to ACT and renamed themselves the Roos I thought it was a good idea. Sadly didn't carry off and now they are still sinking financially and support wise.

CB

New Rumour.

As most people already know the Hawks are sponsored by Tourism Tasmania and wear the badge "Tasmania" on their jersey. For many years young Taswegians have crossed the Bass Straight to play football in Victoria and a large number of them ended up in Hawthorn who had Tasmania as part of its recruiting ground.

Under the expansion plan by the AFL to develop football around Australia into a truly national game it will be announced that the Hawthorn Football club will amalgamate with The Melbourne Demons. Both clubs will be moved to Launceston in the north of the island. They were going to be called the Tassie Devils but market reseach suggests they will be better known as as the "Tassie Dorks"

CB

Do you reckon it would work? Surely that Aurora stadium isn't up to standard and it would cost a fortune for a new one. What about local support? Are they getting the crowds there now? Remember it's still a novelty.

You're not going to see two teams amalgamate either, there's no way the clubs would allow an odd number of teams with one getting a weekly bye. So it would have to four... how about the Crows and North? They could move to Canberra, and good riddance. Hmm... and what about Port and Geelong, they could move over to Adelaide. :D

Seriously, the ideal number of clubs would be twelve, giving each side a home and away game against each other club. Nothing fairer than that.

Now to get the Vics to agree to it!! :o

Geelong go into the grand final.... a hard fought match with a desperate last quarter by both side. Good try Collingwood.

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Geelong 4.4 7.6 9.13 13.14 (92)

Collingwood 2.5 6.7 9.8 13.9 (87)

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Just caught the start as the ABC had made an error in their scheduling. AND the PSI coverage will start at 13:30 this arvo and not 14:30 as advertised.

What hole did the Troll - JimmyCA come out of??

OK to watch a game for 30 minutes. Making such a big deal about a bunch of SODS kicking a ball around is idiotic. Meaningless pasttime

well nobody is holding a gun to your head so dont watch it and if you aint into meaningless pastimes then dont read or post here

now the troll is dealt with, one magpie has gone, reckon we see another one go this afternoon.

Any one who picked the Crows for the flag this season is more than welcome to say my side won't win it. :D:D

I would rather see a victorian team win than listen the the pooer supporters crowing, go the roos :o