The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

PORT BY 3 POINTS............ AAAAAARGHHHHH

sceadugenga gracefully acknowledges his side win. :o

bloody wharfies win, lock up your cars and women tonite down that way, hang on they go to glenelg to steal the cars and elizabeth for the women :D:D:D:D

cant bring myself to say well done, it's a cultural thing :bah:

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PORT BY 3 POINTS............ AAAAAARGHHHHH

sceadugenga gracefully acknowledges his side win. :o

7/9/2007 AAMI Stadium @ 20:20 Full Time

Port Adelaide 9.14.(68) G: Chaplin, P Burgoyne, S Burgoyne, Ebert, Tredrea, Salopek, Cornes, Motlop, Westhoff

West Coast 9.11.(65) G: Lynch 2, Hurn, Judd 2, LeCras, Seaby, Rosa, Cox

Congrats to the Power and commiserations to WCEs

Carn' the Crows

CB

No multiple goal scorers eh? Shows a scrappy desperate game of the type that we're not supposed to be good at. Bear in mind this is a young side that the pre season pundits said wouldn't peak till next year.

William's wife went into labor with the excitement of it all but he never went to the hospital till after the game, it was their fifth after all.

What time is the Geelong v Roos game on this Sunday and does anyone know if it will be on tv? If yes what time please.
Australia Network on PSI at 11:30 AM

Well done Port, I certainly had a good time in the bar last night stirring up the Eagles supporters through the last quarter. I support anyteam playing the Eagles and Magpies. BUT:-

Ashame about Cousins hamstring and IMO Judd being a shaddow of his former self needs a 6 month rest.

What a game the Burgoyne brothers had.

What time is the Geelong v Roos game on this Sunday and does anyone know if it will be on tv? If yes what time please.
Australia Network on PSI at 11:30 AM

Well done Port, I certainly had a good time in the bar last night stirring up the Eagles supporters through the last quarter. I support anyteam playing the Eagles and Magpies. BUT:-

Ashame about Cousins hamstring and IMO Judd being a shaddow of his former self needs a 6 month rest.

What a game the Burgoyne brothers had.

I only got to follow it on the AFL website and the Power to the Port Forum BD. The Australia Network appears to have disappeared off my satellite and I can't work out the radio streaming bizzo. Geek I am not.

I rang a mate in Adelaide to celebrate after the game and they were watching it on delayed telecast and didn't know the result. His Mrs. was not happy when he spoiled the ending her.

Hawks by 3 points, bye bye Crows see you next year.

That a disapointment. I haven't seen the game and didn't know the results - so far my tipping on this round has been 0 for 2, doesn't bode well for the Magpies or the Cats who I picked to win.

CB

My two bobs worth for next week:-

Pies

Hawks

Very one sided game yesterday. I don't think the Roos will recover from it - Cats are going to be very hard to beat now through to the grand final. IMO the WCE are finished and the week after the Cats v Pies game will go to the wire the winner of which will cruise to final victory.

Now I can hear you saying "What a load of rubbish!!" My excuse:- After watching 4 games of AFL and 3 games of NRL over the weekend my olde brain must be footballed out and has no control over my ramblings.:o

The Australia Network appears to have disappeared off my satellite and I can't work out the radio streaming bizzo.

You must have been watching it on AgilaKU from the Phillipines. Yes, they have stopped broadcasting Australia Network.

It is broadcast from the PAS 8 satellite, but it's fairly low on the western horizon so you may need a technician to reset the limits of your motor on your dish.

Back on topic, I see the Cats had a good win yeaterday... :o

Geelong 3.5 10.10 16.16 23.18 (156)

Kangaroos 3.0 4.1 6.1 8.2 (50)

Thanks for the info guys, I actually worked out radio streaming on Saturday and listened to the Crows/Hawks game on 5AA. The commentators are 100% pro Crows, one a former captain, and hearing them wailing and gnashing their teeth was a wonderful experience.

Selections for next weekend? (Wish list?)

Collingwood. (want them to soften the Cats up).

Hawks (I think Port has their measure at AAMI).

Edited by sceadugenga

This is topical and would be wasted in the Jokes Forum.

A cannibal was walking through the jungle and came upon a restaurant

operated by a fellow cannibal. Feeling somewhat hungry, he sat down and

looked over the menu...

Boiled Missionary: $10.00

Fried Explorer: $15.00

Grilled Power supporter: $10.00

Baked Crows supporter: $100. 00

The cannibal called the waiter over and asked, 'Why such a price

difference for the Crows supporter ?'

The cook replied, "Have you ever tried to clean one?

They're so full of sh.., it takes all morning!!"

I was thinking about a comment made by scoobydoodah in another forum and I was wonding how other TV members.

Sceathunderbunger was saying now that the Crows are out of the finals I wouldn't have any interest in the footy forum. It had never occured to me but it was an interesting point.

Whe I lived in Melbourne pre AFL I used to go to the MCG every Saturday during the footy season and watch the game irrespective of who was playing. Over a period of time I met up with other interstaters from WA, SA, Tas even QLD and NSW who didn't have a team of their own in the VFL but would adopt one side on the day for the match. I used to confuse everyone by simply watching the game and giving support to whoever did a good pass/goal/tackle etc.

The point to this was that it made little difference to me who was playing I just went to see the game. When the Crows joined the AFL my dad took out memberships to the club for the family. My dad and I are the only ones who have consistently supported the Crows but I had moved to Sydney and rarely saw them play. I had a season pass to the SCG but was never a supporter of the Swans.

Friends of mine in Melbourne would watch their team each week but if they didn't make the eight they would stop watching until the next year. I had mates that refused to even watch the grand final unless their team was in it.

So what's my point? Well it's simple, my Crows are out of the contest this year. They tried hard but weren't good enough to make the cut to the semi finals. That is the point of competition, to see who is the best team and I will be watching the games with great interest. I hope the games this weekend are tough and close. I hope the Grand Final will be a great match. I don't know who will be playing but if it is your team then congratulations. If it's not then maybe next year.

CB

I was thinking about a comment made by scoobydoodah in another forum and I was wonding how other TV members.

Sceathunderbunger was saying now that the Crows are out of the finals I wouldn't have any interest in the footy forum. It had never occured to me but it was an interesting point.

Whe I lived in Melbourne pre AFL I used to go to the MCG every Saturday during the footy season and watch the game irrespective of who was playing. Over a period of time I met up with other interstaters from WA, SA, Tas even QLD and NSW who didn't have a team of their own in the VFL but would adopt one side on the day for the match. I used to confuse everyone by simply watching the game and giving support to whoever did a good pass/goal/tackle etc.

The point to this was that it made little difference to me who was playing I just went to see the game. When the Crows joined the AFL my dad took out memberships to the club for the family. My dad and I are the only ones who have consistently supported the Crows but I had moved to Sydney and rarely saw them play. I had a season pass to the SCG but was never a supporter of the Swans.

Friends of mine in Melbourne would watch their team each week but if they didn't make the eight they would stop watching until the next year. I had mates that refused to even watch the grand final unless their team was in it.

So what's my point? Well it's simple, my Crows are out of the contest this year. They tried hard but weren't good enough to make the cut to the semi finals. That is the point of competition, to see who is the best team and I will be watching the games with great interest. I hope the games this weekend are tough and close. I hope the Grand Final will be a great match. I don't know who will be playing but if it is your team then congratulations. If it's not then maybe next year.

CB

We've certainly had some close ones this year from the SA sides CB, I think your side needs to get some younger legs in it to be competitive again next year. I said before that this Port team was being prepared for 2008 so peaking this year is tremendous. I think Geelong, virtually unbackable three weeks ago, has refocused on Port as the threat to their premiership dream.

And here's country footy at it's "best".

That's amazing, there was this story on AdelaideNow.com including YouTube video of a massive brawl at the end of the Alice Springs league G/F last weekend and it' gone. I suppose their lawyer told them to pull it.

<snip

CB

We've certainly had some close ones this year from the SA sides CB, I think your side needs to get some younger legs in it to be competitive again next year. I said before that this Port team was being prepared for 2008 so peaking this year is tremendous. I think Geelong, virtually unbackable three weeks ago, has refocused on Port as the threat to their premiership dream.

I agree that the Crows need to get some young legs for next year. This season sees the end of Mark Ruccutto and the team will have to be rebuilt to be competitive. I still say they need to either decide to get a couple of good quality tall forwards who can 1) mark a football and 2) kick accurately or get a number of quick forwards who can run and kick accurately. The Crows have squandered so many chances with inaccurate kicking. I honestly cannot understand why in this modern day of football a player in the forward zone cannot kick a goal from pretty well anywhere inside the 50m arc. Ok I will accept that being pushed up on the wrong foot against the point post is a hard ask but they miss way too often from set shots within the 45 degree arc, that a player from Kensington under 18s should get.

Good luck on the weekend - hope the boys play well. I think however that you were selling Geelong short in your post. I think every team in the eight has given Power carefull consideration and respect. The coaches aren't stupid despite what some newspapers and readers may think. They know that anyone in the eight deserves to be there and the top two spots for Geelong and Power weren't handed our for their good looks :o

CB

You're too nice a guy to be a Crow's supporter CB. It's not too late to change... you're still only a lad, think of the decades of misery you'll save your self. :o

I think every side was looking over their shoulder for the Eagles this year. Last years premiers and full of good young players, they were a walk up start for the '07 flag 12 months ago. The club problems have torn them apart, they can talk about injuries but in a team like that the young players should have stepped up. Their confidence has gone for the doctor but a good win this week could turn them around.

I've got a couple of mates from Adelaide arriving next week and may have to bring them up to Chiang Mai for a few days (one wants to look at freaking elephants) but will try to arrange it for the grand final weekend. Don't carve this in stone but you will be the first to know if we are on our way.

Edited by sceadugenga

Collingwood..... hmmm

It was a cracking good game. Tied at full time then 5 mins change end for another five minutes into overtime. Big win for the Magpies and huge disapointment for the Eagles.

This makes tomorrows game look even more interesting. Looking forward to it.

CB

You're too nice a guy to be a Crow's supporter CB. It's not too late to change... you're still only a lad, think of the decades of misery you'll save your self. :o
Thanks for the compliment but I couldn't change over. I will always be a Crow supporter same as I will support North in the SANFL. I really do however love to watch the game and whichever team makes the grand final I will happily watch it. Whoever wins it will be good for the game and their club so good luck to them
I think every side was looking over their shoulder for the Eagles this year. Last years premiers and full of good young players, they were a walk up start for the '07 flag 12 months ago. The club problems have torn them apart, they can talk about injuries but in a team like that the young players should have stepped up. Their confidence has gone for the doctor but a good win this week could turn them around.

Well they played their hearts out and it didn't happen for them. Big disapointment for the team but congratulations to the Magpies. I think that this year has been a bitter one for the WCE more for the off field than what they actually achieved on the ground. I hope they consolodate over the off season and come back full force next year

I've got a couple of mates from Adelaide arriving next week and may have to bring them up to Chiang Mai for a few days (one wants to look at freaking elephants) but will try to arrange it for the grand final weekend. Don't carve this in stone but you will be the first to know if we are on our way.

Happy to meet up with them - Tuskers is showing the games in the bar and is a great venue in any case. I will almost definitely be watching it there in the absence of Austhaied who is in sat and probably doesn't even know the results - will send him an eMail to let him know.

CB

The game last night would have to rate as one of the worse I’ve seen this year. The Kangaroos haven’t a hope in hill of beating Port next week.

IMO the only thing worse than the game was the incredibly terrible umpiring, soft free kicks and 50 meter penalties. What’s how game coming too?

Where are my local Eagle supporters with selective memory and deep pockets after their loss Saturday? (They know who I’m referring too!)

The game last night would have to rate as one of the worse I’ve seen this year. The Kangaroos haven’t a hope in hill of beating Port next week.

IMO the only thing worse than the game was the incredibly terrible umpiring, soft free kicks and 50 meter penalties. What’s how game coming too?

Where are my local Eagle supporters with selective memory and deep pockets after their loss Saturday? (They know who I’m referring too!)

Ahh... yes, the Eagles supporters.

I only listened to the North/Hawks game on radio streaming and the commentary was atrocious. (Adelaide's 5AA) but rest assured North will not be take lightly by Port. They have an extremely good record against us at AAMI Stadium and I think they will relish their role as the "nothing to lose underdogs".

Edited by sceadugenga

I disagree with your comment re "worse I've seen this year". I watched the game at Changers and Bangers - I usually watch it at Tuskers but they were closed after watching the Mobile Mud Wrestling over night. The Hawks come out as favourites to win agains the Roos and that was a fair pick. However they decided to pick on Harvey from first bounce and that caused them to lose sight of the fact that there was a football game going on out there and they weren't winning. Harvey was flattened a couple of times by very undisiplined players who IF the Hawks had won would NOT have been playing with them for the next two games. The umpire did make at least three poor choices of free kicks against the Hawks. That and another three 50m penalties that directly resulted in goals sank them. The reality though is that even if the Roos did not get those "extra" goals they would have still won because the margin was bigger than the 18 points. Harvey came back into the game in the second half and went from having a horror game after a terrible one the previous week to kicking a couple of very clever and useful goals.

The result was a fair estimate of the match - the Hawks are a young team with a lot of potential. They were let down by some of their older players who should have known better and adopted a play the man game against a physically much smaller player. It came back to burn them badly. The Roos got a good win with gutsy play and very strong defence. The Hawks spat up the ball constantly against an aggressive Roos defence. Next year I think the Hawks will be a much better team and should do better.

Irrespective of the win - I cannot see the Roos overcoming the Power at AAMI. They have a good record againt PP but their skill on ground against the Power the way they are playing right now will not be enough to carry them over. It will be a great game to watch and I am looking forward to the match. Two hard teams playing different styles of footy but I will still pick Port to win and I expect them to do it by a good margin.

CB

Just realised nobody has put up a report on the Collingwood v WCE game on Friday night. No Collingwood supporters on the forum or Old Croc not willing to raise to the occasion.

Great game and true footy finals quality. WCE went in as favourites despite missing three key players (Chris Judd (captain) and fellow midfield stars Ben Cousins and Daniel Kerr all injured). It looked like they were going to go to a comfortable win but those ###### Magpies have a nasty habit of coming back again despite the odds. A couple of horrendous clangers - the worst being when veteran defender James Clement made his second clanger of the night, kicking into the man on the mark. David Wirrpanda got the ball in the goal square, and then goaled.

Final siren and the scores matched so it was 5 minutes extra time then swap over ends for another 5 minutes. The Pies came out looking like they were going to win or die in the attempt. The WCE tried but failed to hold them up. It must be something about these two teams because they seem to like doing this sort of thing. Under the old system Collingwood won the replay when they drew in 1990 and the Eagles got a two point win in 1992.

Final scores:

COLLINGWOOD 1.5 4.8 6.11 10.12 11.13 13.15 (93)

WEST COAST 0.4 5.5 8.9 10.12 10.13 10.14 (74)

The final siren shows the score matched at 10.12 each - then after the first five minute period of extra time it was COL 11.13 (79) WCE (73). At the end of the second five minute period it was all over red rover COL (93) against WCE (74)

GOALS

Collingwood: A Rocca 3, P Medhurst 2, A Didak 2, D Swan 2, T Cloke, D Thomas, C Bryan, S Pendlebury

West Coast: D Wirrpanda 2, M Le Cras 2, D Cox, A Embley, C Fletcher, Q Lynch, M Priddis, M Rosa

Next week Collingwood come up against Geelong afterwhich they should be out of the series. I can't see them beating the Cats on current form but stranger things have happened in Finals Footy.

CB

Thanks for that CB, funny we had 6 members put their hands up for West coast in the poll but they all seem to have wandered off. I suppose Judd eying the Victorian sides wouldn't impress them either. Actually the clubs waving their check books at him are the first to scream that the interstate side don't need a higher salary cap to keep their players.

I wonder if that extra ten minutes of high pressure footy will effect the 'Pies next weekend? Still Eddie came up with an all business class private jet to fly them back to Melbourne.

Thanks for that CB, funny we had 6 members put their hands up for West coast in the poll but they all seem to have wandered off.
I noticed that - maybe they have found a new passion for Rugby Union since Oz beat Wales :o
I suppose Judd eying the Victorian sides wouldn't impress them either. Actually the clubs waving their check books at him are the first to scream that the interstate side don't need a higher salary cap to keep their players.

John Worsefold (yeah I know the spelling is wrong but can't be bothered looking it up) said that he would be out there mowing Rudd's lawn for him off season to keep him in WA and if he moved would poison it - I think he was kidding but not 100% convinced. I would be very disapointed if he left for ANY other club. I think that as Captain of the team he has to have a high level of commitment to the club. I know that it is a business and that clubs shaft players at time etc but the Eagles want him to stay, the team want him to stay, and the fans want him to stay. I think that if he moved he will come under a lot of personal abuse everytime he walks onto a Perth ground. The issue of Victorian teams playing checkbook recruiting has been going on since the days of local competition. Players from WA, SA, and Tas went to Victoria. It was were the highest level of competition was and correspondingly the place they could earn the best money. Half of Hawthorn came from Tasmania, same thing with SA players in Carlton. How many Perth boys pulled on a Kangaroos jumper back in the 70's? Come State of Origin time almost the whole of the WA and SA teams were playing in Victoria. One of the early pledges from teh Crows was to keep the team from SA, obviously and thankfully that didn't remain policy but for both Power and the Crows the focus has been on getting players from within the local competition not in Victoria. The Crows did the same thing with the debacle of Wayne Carey going to Adelaide despite it being obviously an unpopular decision with the fans and the team should have sealed the fact. Cost a lot of money and almost no return on investment.

I wonder if that extra ten minutes of high pressure footy will effect the 'Pies next weekend?
I think it may have helped them - they obviously were very tired but from the bounce they went for broke - 5 minutes of intense play. A change over and another 5 minutes. The Eagles only managed to put on a single behind in each period compared to the Magpies who scored 1 goal 1 behind and then 2 goals 2. That is commitment, fitness, and finals football.
Still Eddie came up with an all business class private jet to fly them back to Melbourne.
If they lost they were booked to find their own way home on the train :D

CB