Collingwood 3.1 8.3 14.7 17.15 (117)

Melbourne 5.2 7.2 9.4 10.4 (64)

CARLTON 3.2 11.5 13.8 18.11 (119)

BRISBANE LIONS 3.3 4.6 10.8 15.10 (100)

SYDNEY SWANS 3.4 8.7 16.9 22.11 (143)

HAWTHORN 5.4 8.9 12.12 15.15 (105)

Essendon 5.2 9.5 14.7 16.13 (109)

Fremantle 1.4 6.6 10.8 10.11 (71)

Western Bulldogs 3.6 4.10 8.13 11.14 (80)

North Melbourne 1.5 3.6 7.8 9.11 (65)

West Coast 4.3 10.6 16.8 19.11 (125)

Port Adelaide 1.6 4.9 8.12 10.15 (75)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like there's not much to be said about Aussie Rules. Last post in April!

Here's a prediction: Magpies will be Premiers in 2009 (and I'm a Brisbane supporter).

Why? They're the form team - full of confidence and winning well at the right end of the season.

Any takers?

Here's a prediction: Magpies will be Premiers in 2009

:D

Sorry, involuntary reaction :)

My heart's with the Blues, but my money is on the Cats. :D

We'll know in a month. :D My heart's with the Lions, but I'm afraid they're just making up the numbers. Here's another from my crystal ball. Collingwood - St Kilda GF and down to the wire. :D

REAL football is played with a round ball on an oblong field

NOT

an oblong ball on a round field

And we all know why the Aussies use a round field don't we?

....... coz it gives the maximum playing ares for the length of shackle chain tied to a stake in the middle of the pitch :D:D

:D bit of racists isn't , this comment? :)

REAL football is played with a round ball on an oblong field

NOT

an oblong ball on a round field

And we all know why the Aussies use a round field don't we?

....... coz it gives the maximum playing ares for the length of shackle chain tied to a stake in the middle of the pitch :D:D

:D bit of racists isn't , this comment? :)

Aussies aren't a race. Heck, they're hardly even a cricket team.

Females playing senior football, what next?

It isn’t bad enough that in Australia Channel 10 and the ABC Grandstand networks have female football commentators now this fruit loop wants them to play! IMO Woman have their place but not at the frontline of heavy contact storts.

Kennett hopes to see first female footballer

By Luke Holmesby 2:37 PM Mon 07 September, 2009

OUTSPOKEN Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett says he hopes his club can be the first to have a female footballer at AFL level.

In his latest post on hawthornfc.com.au, the Hawks president says he hopes his club could one day lead the way in drafting a female player.

“I still harbour a dream that will see Hawthorn have the first female player among our ranks," Kennett said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...34/default.aspx

Shlt I’m glad I’m not a Hawthorn supporter, what a laughing stock, this is akin to having a female player on an American NFL team or English Premier Team.

AND to think this wacker was once the State Premier of Victoria.

Bulldogs defeated by Riewoldt.

St Kilda have been carried into the GF by Nick Riewoldt. The better team was beaten by the best player (shades of West Ham's defeat by Stephen Gerrard in the 2006 FA Cup Final).

Here's the crystal ball. Collingwood will defeat Geelong tomorrow night and then run over the Saints in the Grand Final.

Here's the crystal ball. Collingwood will defeat Geelong tomorrow night and then run over the Saints in the Grand Final.

Nah, the Magpies are destined to be perennial wannabies. That's their job. Go Cats!

Crystal ball back in the closet. You're right, Vic. Collingwood were completely at a loss - played their GF last week. I thought this year they might break the wannabe tag.

St Kilda will need to play much better to beat the Cats. Looking at the statistics they shouldn't have beaten the Dogs. I don't think the Riewoldt factor will be enough to beat Geelong, but I'm sure the Saints are a better side than they were last night.

Should be interesting. I'll change my mind and go for the Cats to make up for last year.

It should be a great match next week, with the 2 best teams in the competition playing. I live in Sri Racha and don't have access to a TV showing the match. Are there any pubs in Sri Racha or Pattaya showing the match in reasonably comfortable surroundings?

I'm sure there are places in Pattaya. I don't see the games either (we don't have cable - by choice), so I follow the games on afl.com. You can't see the players, but you can follow the plays and keep up with the extensive statistical updates. Watching would be much better, of course.

Cats claim historic MCG battle

By Mat Mackay, WWOS

17:00 AEST Sat Sep 26 2009

Geelong has cemented its place in history and heaped more misery on long suffering St Kilda fans by claiming an epic AFL grand final.

In a battle that will long be remembered, the Cats overpowered the Saints in the final quarter of the clash to win their second flag in three years.

Players and fans jumped for joy at the final siren as renowned Cats hardman Max Rooke slotted home his second goal of the match to give Geelong a 12 point victory.

And while the record books will reflect only the final score - Geelong 12.8 (80) to St Kilda 9.14 (68) - in reality only a single kick separated the sides until the dying seconds of the game.

The Cats trailed the Saints by seven points at the final break, but showed tremendous spirit as they set out to erase their demons of 2008, when they suffered a shock loss at the hands of Hawthorn.

Perhaps aptly, young gun Tom Hawkins kicked the goal that drew them level with the Saints early in the term, with Paul Chapman kicking the major that would give them the outright lead at the 23rd minute mark.

It was Chapman's third goal of the match, with the effort in a low scoring slog in wet conditions rightfully earning him the Norm Smith medal for best on ground.

Under dark clouds and persistent rain, it was the Cats who drew first blood in the highly anticipated blockbuster, with Rooke and full forward Cameron Mooney kicking the first two goals of the match.

Despite an obvious nervous start, the Saints - with skipper Nick Riewoldt working tirelessly - fought their way back into the contest and after an opening goal to Brendon Goddard, managed to kick three of the last four goals of the first term to take a two point lead into the break.

Midfielder Lenny Hayes was instrumental for the Saints in the first quarter, amassing a staggering 11 possessions which included five clearances and a goal.

Two controversial incidents overshadowed an otherwise awesome display of rugged football in the second quarter.

After being dominated early in the term, the Cats turned the tide with goals to Gary Ablett, Paul Chapman and Tom Hawkins.

But it was the major awarded to Hawkins which sparked outrage amongst the Saints faithful, with replays clearly showing his snap from point blank range actually shaved the inside of the post.

The decision - with less than a minute remaining - gave the Cats a six point lead until the Saints stole the show and set the MCG alight with a flurry of goals.

Clinton Jones kicked the first of three in the final seconds of the half, with big man Justin Kozchitske claiming the second from a toe poke in the goalsquare which triggered a vocal and ultimately costly protest from Cats defender Darren Milburn.

A free kick was awarded against the veteran, with Adam Schneider converting the set shot to once again turn the game on its head and give St Kilda a one goal lead at the long break.

The third term reflected the arm wrestle that the match was, with neither side willing to give an inch on football's biggest stage.

For 10 long minutes scores were locked during the term, with only a miraculous snap from the boundary by Saints onballer Leigh Montagna splitting the teams at the final break.

Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett was heavily tagged throughout the encounter and although quiet by his lofty standards he proved pivotal in the final term, helping to set-up several forward thrusts.

Ablett finished the match with 25 possessions, which included a goal.

His legendary father, Gary Senior, was among those first to arrive in the Cats changerooms at the conclusion of the match to congratulate his son.

Australia's best game!!!, it was and is Gaelic Football they changed the ball size and announced it as Australian Rules. It is only followed by Southern States as they have nothing else to do certainly not an International Sport as the rest of Australia has, that being Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, Soccer. Anyone going to Victoria,South Australia and Western Australia need to brush up on the game these people cannot talk about anything remotely intelligent, that is all they know, arrive at the Airport etc and see everyone decked out in their team regalia even off season and their first words are who's your team..get over it because the rest of Australia is.The only good thing in the South is Melbourne Storm oh and Mr Sam Newman if they were not there the rest of the country would have forgotten you existed.

Australia's best game!!!, it was and is Gaelic Football they changed the ball size and announced it as Australian Rules. It is only followed by Southern States as they have nothing else to do certainly not an International Sport as the rest of Australia has, that being Rugby Union, Rugby League, Cricket, Soccer. Anyone going to Victoria,South Australia and Western Australia need to brush up on the game these people cannot talk about anything remotely intelligent, that is all they know, arrive at the Airport etc and see everyone decked out in their team regalia even off season and their first words are who's your team..get over it because the rest of Australia is.The only good thing in the South is Melbourne Storm oh and Mr Sam Newman if they were not there the rest of the country would have forgotten you existed.

There, that feels better, doesn't it! :)