Do deposits for visas need to come from outside of Thailand?

I am planning to start making 65,000 per month deposits to give myself the option of renewing my retirement extension next year. Do the deposits have to show that they came from outside of Thailand? I usually use Transferwise to make international transfers, but their deposits apparently show up as coming from within the country, even when you send the funds from abroad.  

Also, as people seem to be aware, Bangkok Bank is requiring a letter from the embassy saying that your passport is real or some nonsense. Do other banks not require this? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. 

• Confused 1

You must have proof the 65k baht transfers came for abroad.

Proof of address from your embassy will be accepted to open a bank account. A certificate of residence from immigration will also be accepted.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You must have proof the 65k baht transfers came for abroad.

Proof of address from your embassy will be accepted to open a bank account. A certificate of residence from immigration will also be accepted.

Thanks, UbonJoe. What would constitute proof that the funds came from abroad? I do have a certificate of residence, so I will go back and try that approach. 

40 minutes ago, SFO2BKK said:

Thanks, UbonJoe. What would constitute proof that the funds came from abroad? I do have a certificate of residence, so I will go back and try that approach. 

Bank transfers to your account should have a code for foreign or internal transfers. I routinely do a wire transfer from Bank of America to Kasikorn bank and it is coded as a domestic transfer because it is routed through another Thai bank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martyp said:

Bank transfers to your account should have a code for foreign or internal transfers. I routinely do a wire transfer from Bank of America to Kasikorn bank and it is coded as a domestic transfer because it is routed through another Thai bank.

Thanks for this. This is what I am wondering about - does it count as an international transfer for visa purposes if it shows that it is a domestic transfer? Cheers!

9 minutes ago, SFO2BKK said:

This is what I am wondering about - does it count as an international transfer for visa purposes if it shows that it is a domestic transfer?

Normally not unless you can get proof its original source was international by getting proof from the intermediary bank.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SFO2BKK said:

Thanks for this. This is what I am wondering about - does it count as an international transfer for visa purposes if it shows that it is a domestic transfer? Cheers!

Yes what Ubonjoe said. Kasikorn, and I presume every other bank, can provide a statement tracing back the foreign origin of your funds. I believe Immigration accepts these statements from your Thai bank. It may cost 200 baht and you may have to wait two weeks. It is something I would talk to your bank about and then get such a statement in hand to test this before you absolutely need it. If you are going to go with the monthly income plan then you have to be vigilant monthly and have a tested plan to resolve deposit issues if your deposit shows up as a domestic transfer.

• Like 1

The information I was given from my local immigration office (Phetchabun), which I've already posted here, is that to use the monthly deposit method (a minimum of THB 65K) of qualifying for a one-year extension based on retirement you must have a letter from your embassy, or a evidence of 12-months of deposits in the form of copies of your bank book and verified by a letter from your bank.

I intend to use this monthly deposit method for my extension in Dec, 2019, and the first two of my deposits were done by Transferwise as show as domestic transfers from Thai Military Bank. I've discussed this with Transferwise, and they tell me there is no way they can guarantee their transfers will show up as an international transfer. I also discussed this with my local immigrations and showed them my bank book. They told me my deposits in Jan and Feb from TMB would be okay, but I've since switched my transfer method to a direct wire transfer which does show up as an international transfer deposit.

I was also told the bank-verification method of monthly transfer deposits will only be accepted through 2019, and beginning in 2020, only a letter from your embassy will be accepted.

I know this post will draw fire from a lot of ThaiVisa participants, but that's what I was not only told by my local immigration, but I have copies of their notices which state all this. And, as we all know, it's only our own local immigration department's interpretations of the rules that count. So, the best place to find all this out is at your local immigration office.

15 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

What about the 800,000 baht?   Does that need to come from abroad?  What if I sell a condo and use part of that money, as my 'deposit'?

Not required for an extension of stay application at immigration.

It is only required for if you apply for a non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement. But in the case of funds earned here legally such as selling a condo it can be used if you supply proof of the source of it.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

A bank statement showing they are foreign and/or international transfers.

If applying for an extension or renewal of extension at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, bank statements, even if certified by the bank, will not be acceptable. I had Bangkok Bank Statements certified by the bank for my previous 12 months activity when I went to apply last month.  They would not accept them and said I needed a bank letter showing all foreign deposits to my account for past 12 months.  The Immigration lady was very nice, provided me with a sample, and said I should obtain from the branch where I opened the account as other branches could not provide 12 months of activity.

I went to the bank branch where I opened the account and obtained the letter - first, they had to print out credit advices for each deposit (fee 500 baht) and then prepared the letter using the amounts shown on the advices (fee 100 baht) - took a little over an hour to complete. 

23 hours ago, Martyp said:

Yes what Ubonjoe said. Kasikorn, and I presume every other bank, can provide a statement tracing back the foreign origin of your funds. I believe Immigration accepts these statements from your Thai bank. It may cost 200 baht and you may have to wait two weeks. It is something I would talk to your bank about and then get such a statement in hand to test this before you absolutely need it. If you are going to go with the monthly income plan then you have to be vigilant monthly and have a tested plan to resolve deposit issues if your deposit shows up as a domestic transfer.

I have been using TransferWise and ok for the first 7 months. This month came through as SMT transfer. So I reverted to my old method from Commonwealth Bank in Australia. I always have sent in Australian dollars but for some reason this time I sent in THB and transfer came through as BTN. So I did 3rd transfer to send in Oz $s and came through as FTT. Then I signed up with DeeMoney and first 2 transfers sent back for next time. I contacted TransferWise and they said they have taken my recipient (me) for my payment to come to my Bangkok Bank account directly although they did say will not always work. If I have more issues I will just stick with Commonwealth Bank even though it costs a little more and not as good a rate as TransferWise.

• Like 1

I'm worried that recent transfers to my Bangkok Bank account using TransferWise show up as "Interbank Transfer Via Smart", and not FTT as previous ones had. I'm going to Bangkok Bank tomorrow to get 12 months' worth of foreign deposits, and they may not count those as foreign deposits for purpose of the letter required (I'm using the THB 65,000/month method). If this does not work at Chang Wattana Immigration, I'm screwed, as I only have a week before my current Extension of Stay expires on Aug. 4. My neighbor who is also on a retirement extension of stay, but who has not made the required deposits for the past year (using ATM cash advances instead) is returning to the U.S. to apply  for a new retirement visa, something I hope I won't have to do. I'm prepared to go the agent route and pay to expedite an extension of stay as the much cheaper alternative, but how do I go about finding one? Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

I'm prepared to go the agent route and pay to expedite an extension of stay as the much cheaper alternative, but how do I go about finding one?

Read my post above to see I had same issue as you. I phoned my agent and she actually said if they get denied I could try myself and they would prepare paperwork for me (at a fee of course). Thought I would have a better chance using the agent. But then again this is only one persons answer.

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I was also told the bank-verification method of monthly transfer deposits will only be accepted through 2019, and beginning in 2020, only a letter from your embassy will be accepted.

I know this post will draw fire from a lot of ThaiVisa participants, but that's what I was not only told by my local immigration, but I have copies of their notices which state all this.

Can you post copies of the Immigration notice that says the 65K monthly bank transfer will no be accepted after 2019...

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 10:24 AM, SFO2BKK said:

Do the deposits have to show that they came from outside of Thailand?

Is this the first time you have been on Thai Visa this year? There are posts ad nauseum about this.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, SFO2BKK said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at Nakhon Pathom immigration office where I reside.

These were the requirements they asked me for concerning finances only:

1: A written statement/letter from the bank stating the funds are transferred from overseas (signed by the bank officer).

2: A printed statement showing the previous 12 months transactions.

3: Your bank book and a copy of all pages in your bank book showing your previous 12 months transactions.

4: In my case my pension is a private one aged 60, The original letter from my pension company stating my annual/monthly payment.

Edited by hotchilli

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

4: In my case my pension is a private one aged 60, The original letter from my pension company stating my annual/monthly payment.

This point worries me. Not everyone has a pension. The money I send to Thailand comes from my superannuation which does not earn the 65k/month. But the point is I bring the 65k in each month.

Transferwise provides the facility to view/share/print the transfer details which show both the sending bank (in my case CBA AUD) and receiving bank (THAI SCB).I plans to match these up with the SCB bank statement and present to immigration. Don't know how I will go but will test it first at my next 90 Day report. 

Edited by Lazybones

18 hours ago, sfokevin said:
22 hours ago, billsmart said:

I know this post will draw fire from a lot of ThaiVisa participants, but that's what I was not only told by my local immigration, but I have copies of their notices which state all this.

Can you post copies of the Immigration notice that says the 65K monthly bank transfer will no be accepted after 2019...

Yes, I've appended it below, but be advised:

- This English translation was give to me by my local immigration department (Phetchabun), so it is also there interpretation of the rules.

- The document does NOT say proof of 65K monthly bank international transfers will not be accepted after 2019. In fact, it does not say that 65K monthly bank international transfers will be accepted at all. It says that any "pension" is only counted if verified by a letter from your embassy. The "exception" of accepting evidence of monthly bank international transfers in 2019, but not after that, was one given to me verbally by my local immigration department.

I have also appended a similar paper for extensions based on marriage, and it might be interesting to note the THB figure there is not 400K, it is 480K.

Thai OA Visa Extension Based on Retirement.pdf Thai OA Visa Extension Based on Marriage.pdf

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 6:50 AM, hotchilli said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at Nakhon Pathom immigration office where I reside.

These were the requirements they asked me for concerning finances only:

1: A written statement/letter from the bank stating the funds are transferred from overseas (signed by the bank officer).

2: A printed statement showing the previous 12 months transactions.

3: Your bank book and a copy of all pages in your bank book showing your previous 12 months transactions.

This is in regards to point 1.  I made an overseas transfer from my DBS Bank account in Singapore to my Bangkok Bank account for THB800k +. Today I went to ask for the same letter in point 1 ("stating the funds are transferred from overseas (signed by the bank officer)") from Bangkok Bank. It turned out that DBS bank in Singapore routed the money to Kasikorn Bank , which then transferred it to my Bangkok Bank. This is causing a headache as now the Bangkok Bank people are directing me to go to Kasikorn Bank in Lad Prao Soi 25 to get a letter saying that the funds are from overseas. I wonder if you (Mr. Hotchilli) could post a sample of your letter from point 1. redacted of course so I can show it to my Bangkok Bank branch and tell them that this is what I want. 

16 hours ago, descc71 said:

This is in regards to point 1.  I made an overseas transfer from my DBS Bank account in Singapore to my Bangkok Bank account for THB800k +. Today I went to ask for the same letter in point 1 ("stating the funds are transferred from overseas (signed by the bank officer)") from Bangkok Bank. It turned out that DBS bank in Singapore routed the money to Kasikorn Bank , which then transferred it to my Bangkok Bank. This is causing a headache as now the Bangkok Bank people are directing me to go to Kasikorn Bank in Lad Prao Soi 25 to get a letter saying that the funds are from overseas. I wonder if you (Mr. Hotchilli) could post a sample of your letter from point 1. redacted of course so I can show it to my Bangkok Bank branch and tell them that this is what I want. 

If Bangkok Bank rec'd the funds as a domestic transfer from another Thai bank, e.g., Kasikorn, they will not include those deposits on the letter they prepare for Immigration listing foreign deposits (coded FTT by Bangkok Bank). They have no means to know the source of the funds.  The bank, e.g., Kasikorn, that rec'd the funds from the foreign source will need to provide such documentation.  For Kasikorn in Pattaya, it is my understanding this is done at a Branch on Pattaya Klang (Central Road). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TerryLH said:

Bangkok Bank said BTN is a foreign based deposit.  

In my case it's a direct deposit from SS.

BAHTNET (Bank of Thailand Automated High-value Transfer Network) is a financial infrastructure serving for Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) of large value funds transfer between financial institutions or other organizations maintaining deposit accounts at the Bank of Thailand (BOT).

This seems to suggest final domestic transfers, 

Edited by jacko45k

14 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

If Bangkok Bank rec'd the funds as a domestic transfer from another Thai bank, e.g., Kasikorn, they will not include those deposits on the letter they prepare for Immigration listing foreign deposits (coded FTT by Bangkok Bank). They have no means to know the source of the funds.  The bank, e.g., Kasikorn, that rec'd the funds from the foreign source will need to provide such documentation.  For Kasikorn in Pattaya, it is my understanding this is done at a Branch on Pattaya Klang (Central Road). 

Thank you. That helps. I will make the trip to Kasikorn today with my Bangkok Bank Book and ID and hope Kasikorn knows how to hunt for and trace the transaction from the info in my Bangkok Bank book.

Many thanks 

Edited by descc71

4 minutes ago, descc71 said:

Thank you. That helps. I will make the trip to Kasikorn today with my Bangkok Bank Book and ID and hope Kasikorn knows what to do

Many thanks 

I suggest you download (if not already done) and print out the TW "receipt" - they have a link to it in the email they send to say the funds have been sent to your bank.  At the bottom of the receipt will be the utlimate destination (your Bangkok Bank account) and below that, the bank receiving the transfer, in your case Kasikorn.  That portion should provide some form of identifying information for the specific transaction, which should help when you go to Kasikorn.

• Like 1