Swiss man in Pattaya clean-up campaign features on national Thai TV

webfact

Swiss man in Pattaya clean-up campaign features on national Thai TV

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Channel 3

A 52 year old Swiss man has been featured on national Thai television after he complained to the media that nothing was being done to clean up the klong by his house. 

Long time Thai resident Erich Fahrni has been waging a six year battle to keep the Chark Ngaew canal in Bang Lamung clean. 

In Thai language he spoke to Channel 3's reporter telling her that people stop on a bridge, dump their trash then go home. 

He claimed that septic tank trucks also discharge their filthy waste in the canal, too. 

It all ends up in the sea. 

Over the last six years he has sometimes collected 200 kilos of trash in a single day. And he has spent 60,000 baht of his own money hiring people at 300-500 baht a time to help him with the clean-ups. 

4pm2.jpg

Channel 3

He said that it shouldn't be his job - but he loves Thailand like his homeland.

His Thai wife said that he wanted his Thai home to be clean like in Switzerland where you could drink the water in the waterways.

It was difficult for him to complain to individuals as they would simply say: Who the hell are you?

So he went on Facebook and attracted the attention of the TV news. 

Channel 3 discovered that one of the culprits was a local laundry that discharges dirty water in to the canal.

The local Huay Yai council were filmed going to see the laundry owner in an effort to get her to change her ways.

Source: Channel 3

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-25

4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Switzerland is one of the cleanest countries in the world. 

Why would a Swiss man want to move to Pattaya which is one of the filthiest  places in Thailand ?

Cambodia is the filthiest place I've seen anywhere.

i agree with what you say about cambodia---sihanoukville, very nice beach, littered with rubbish.they set up restaurants ,expecting people to eat surrounded by rubbish--just unbelievable.

1 hour ago, lonewolf99 said:

This is the kind of story and related stories that need to be shown to all these western kids that stop going to school and cry to western politicians about clean air/water/save polar bears. 

This is the reality of the planet. Nearly 8 billion and counting and 90% don't give a flying rats ass about the planet and what they do to it.

The western politicians jump on the bandwagon and announce carbon taxes to make money out of the problem. 

This Swiss guy is as already shown beating his head against the proverbial brick wall. He might also take heed and beware of who he upsets about this in LoS. It could cost him more than his money to clean the mess.

I have given up on humanity. Currently all we hear now is wasting money on going back to the moon. What the hell for? To just go up there and cover it in human crap and plastic? Imagine Tranquility Base covered in what you see in a Thai/Cambodian Klong......nice.

Can't agree with you more. Have you ever seen the mess around the base camps on Mt. Everest. The whole world has gone mad!

trash mt everest.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

His Thai wife said that he wanted his Thai home to be clean like in Switzerland where you could drink the water in the waterways.

Good luck with that!  You will fail. Mission impossible. 

7 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Why would a Swiss man want to move to Pattaya which is one of the filthiest  places in Thailand ?

What he should have learned during all the years he has spent in Thailand is the sad fact when you as a foreigner point on something negative in Thailand then you point Your finger on all the Thais.

If he didnt have any enemies before he for sure has it now - sad, but true ...

Never try to change the country you are visitting - if you dont like what you see just move on

3 hours ago, murraynz said:

i agree with what you say about cambodia---sihanoukville, very nice beach, littered with rubbish.they set up restaurants ,expecting people to eat surrounded by rubbish--just unbelievable.

i recall a few years ago s ville beach was clean. not anymore

• Like 1

Pattaya which is one of the filthiest  places in Thailand ?

Yes pattaya is famous for dirty. Dirty beach, rubbish, water.

And famous for many for being farang city.

if all the farang same this guy, I think it would be clean place.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I often wonder what could be achieved if the money spent on armaments around the world was diverted to better causes, yes and I know it it keeps people employed but perhaps they could be reemployed making something useful.

Wishful thinking I know.

Costa Rica puts their money into education rather than defense, worked okay for them..

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

This is the kind of story and related stories that need to be shown to all these western kids that stop going to school and cry to western politicians about clean air/water/save polar bears. 

This is the reality of the planet. Nearly 8 billion and counting and 90% don't give a flying rats ass about the planet and what they do to it.

The western politicians jump on the bandwagon and announce carbon taxes to make money out of the problem. 

This Swiss guy is as already shown beating his head against the proverbial brick wall. He might also take heed and beware of who he upsets about this in LoS. It could cost him more than his money to clean the mess.

I have given up on humanity. Currently all we hear now is wasting money on going back to the moon. What the hell for? To just go up there and cover it in human crap and plastic? Imagine Tranquility Base covered in what you see in a Thai/Cambodian Klong......nice.

The moon might be the first choice in off worlding trash. The pioneers of creating a new other world of land fills. Some of them craters are begging for it! ????