UK economy's mixed signals hard to read for new PM Johnson

snoop1130

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

so Welsh didn't have much influence then

I hesitate to tread back into the language side of the debate, but just to say Welsh is part of the Celtic language group, it's all about groups. There are a few good videos on youtube about the spread of all of the Indo-European languages, it's fascinating stuff.

13 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Thanks BT, needless to say I enjoy many contributions here like yours, which try to inject a little bit of reality into the discussion. Actually I think we all (On both sides) struggle to remain moderate and restrained in this Brexit sh#tstorm, which has torn our society apart. I have failed a few times it is true. I can't see anything "Bitter" about what you said, I think you are probably just sad like me, that we seem to be becoming a puppet of Putin and Trump (Two of the most foul leaders on the planet) because we have been fed BS about EU dragons about to destroy us, by a bunch of conmen. Sad times indeed. I miss Grouse's pithy contributions also, I hope he is well.

Thanks Nigel, I too hope he is well or more probably he just got fed up presenting cogent fact based arguments to the uninformed mob here, and has better things to do with his life than wasting time trying to educate the closed minds of folk who have drunken the heady brew of Brexit nationalism peddled by spivs, liars , chanchers and elites.  I should follow suite.  But I can't resist just one more troll when I read most of the drivel here - ignored or not it makes me feel better. If you don't mind a bit of profanity and like Stewart Lee here is his latest on Brexit. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/28/dude-i-take-no-pleasure-in-having-been-right-about-boris-johnson-stewart-lee

I dedicate this lime to Loiner as a peace offering. 

Image result for lime

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I hesitate to tread back into the language side of the debate, but just to say Welsh is part of the Celtic language group, it's all about groups. There are a few good videos on youtube about the spread of all of the Indo-European languages, it's fascinating stuff.

don't want to be too pedantic, but Welsh, while obviously a Celtic language, also has the occasional Latin word, reflecting, no doubt, the Roman invasion of Wales (long before the Anglo-Norman invasion, as evidenced by all the bleeding castles dotting the Welsh landscape from the 12-1300s to this day).

For example, there is Welsh "pont" (= bridge); "gwin" (= wine); 'ffenestr" (= window or 'fenestra' in Latin,); possibly 'mynydd' from "Latin "mons" = mountain

probably more, but means a lot of dictionary combing (and boring of the good citizens of this thread).  And a mod's knuckle-rapping for getting off-topic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes I read the Express, after the Times and other papers. I find it best to have a wide perspective on things, don't you. The great national harm was being conned into the ECC. In fact the British public were lied to repeatedly.

If Nigel Garvie gave you the post of the day then it must be true. I will stick by my claim, you are bitter and your posts reflect it. Maybe gets the mods to to have a poll if you feel the need for self  value.

my dad is 75 and has never ever voted in a GE,EU election,parish election,EU referendum,local council election,who conned him? 

On 7/27/2019 at 6:18 AM, Brigand said:

Nothing wrong with the UK economy or the EU's for that matter. The problem is uncertainty and the markets hate that. When the UK decides it's path and the EU's future can be seen for the next 5 years, then all this drama will dissipate and the markets will be happy and stop acting like children.

Though i agree that the markets hate uncertainty , the economy is much more than the markets,   The economy is simply the relationship between production and  consumption. 

So it can't be good or bad . The relationships that create an economy can be bad or good. Most economists agree that a new brexit relationship between the UK and EU, will be bad for the UK economy, and to a lesser degree the EU economy.

Of course that's arguable but I defer  to those with greater knowledge in the subject.

Certainty  in what the UK/EU relationship will be , would be good for investors because they will know how to invest or disinvest , and as such could be good for the markets, but not good for a particular economy if such certainty requires disinvestment in that economy..

But markets and economy are not the only concerns, another concern is political leverage and cohesion. Apon brexit the UK will lose the political leverage it enjoys as part of larger block, also brexit presents a real danger to the UK cohesion with a possible loss of Scotland and Ireland  and as such a danger to further erode it political leverage.

IMO you guys are skating on very thin ice, tread lightly. 

29 minutes ago, bomber said:

my dad is 75 and has never ever voted in a GE,EU election,parish election,EU referendum,local council election,who conned him? 

Well if you don't vote then you can't complain or say you haven't had the opportunity. 

How very strange he has never voted. His choice of course after all the UK is a democracy and you don't get fined like say Australia if you don't vote.  But if you don't put your name in the hat you can't complain if your name doesn't get called out.

Who conned him. Himself for not being informed.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well if you don't vote then you can't complain or say you haven't had the opportunity. 

How very strange he has never voted. His choice of course after all the UK is a democracy and you don't get fined like say Australia if you don't vote.  But if you don't put your name in the hat you can't complain if your name doesn't get called out.

Who conned him. Himself for not being informed.

he is currently being "informed" by boris that britain is soon to be great again,he is 75 and told me when i was still at school that it isnt great and hadnt been for LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG" time,regardless of what he puts in the "hat" maybe he needs to borrow your "hat" to feel better,hahahahahhaahahah

28 minutes ago, bomber said:

he is currently being "informed" by boris that britain is soon to be great again,he is 75 and told me when i was still at school that it isnt great and hadnt been for LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG" time,regardless of what he puts in the "hat" maybe he needs to borrow your "hat" to feel better,hahahahahhaahahah

You asked for my opinion and I gave it you. If you don't want opinions that you feel that you wont like or agree, don't ask. As pointed out by others the term Great Britain is a landmass.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/The-UK-Great-Britain-Whats-the-Difference/

As for it not at good as it use to be you are right and I agree. It all started in January 1972 when Ted Heath signed the country away.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You asked for my opinion and I gave it you. If you don't want opinions that you feel that you wont like or agree, don't ask. As pointed out by others the term Great Britain s a landmass.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/The-UK-Great-Britain-Whats-the-Difference/

As for it not at good as it use to be you are right and I agree. It all started in January 1972 when Ted Heath signed the country away.

i will tell my old man it was all about land mass,iam sure he will have gravy all over his shirt laughing ????  he wont even be aware of ted heath signing anything in 1972 and if you recall it then you are as old as him,so how did this event make your next 45 years so difficult?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bomber said:

i will tell my old man it was all about land mass,iam sure he will have gravy all over his shirt laughing ????  he wont even be aware of ted heath signing anything in 1972 and if you recall it then you are as old as him,so how did this event make your next 45 years so difficult?

Obviously you don't get the meaning. You brought up the Great in Britain.

Where did I say it made it difficult? I never. What it did was start the process of what the EU is today. Trading with 6 similar countries wasn't to bad an idea but then the raping of British waters came. Farming was culled, so the UK can't feed itself. industries were reduced and the UK was forced into a service industry.

Laws and bureaucracy took over and various treaties were placed by the now EU with the support of bent and self serving PM's such as Heath, Major and Blair. So what it did in them 45 years is what the EU does, it slowly takes over. Like an invasion without bullets, eroding identities and then claiming your a racist and bigot if you question the agenda. Sounds familiar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Obviously you don't get the meaning. You brought up the Great in Britain.

Where did I say it made it difficult? I never. What it did was start the process of what the EU is today. Trading with 6 similar countries wasn't to bad an idea but then the raping of British waters came. Farming was culled, so the UK can't feed itself. industries were reduced and the UK was forced into a service industry.

Laws and bureaucracy took over and various treaties were placed by the now EU with the support of bent and self serving PM's such as Heath, Major and Blair. So what it did in them 45 years is what the EU does, it slowly takes over. Like an invasion without bullets, eroding identities and then claiming your a racist and bigot if you question the agenda. Sounds familiar.

you have avoided the question,i asked how did it affect YOU,if your a farmer/fisherman and feel hard done by please state this,invasion without bullets is fantasy talk iam afraid,i know farmers and have never hear'd them moan about the Eu once in 50 years,fishermen i cannot comment on but iam aware fishing HAS to be controlled or there wont be any left to fish, regardless of kipper packaging ???? again what laws are you referring to? bureaucracy we could all do with out it agree,hows about starting with the HoC,my local council office,my local Nik,doctors,who needs law and order when we have brexit? too easy to blame the EU iam afraid,boris summed you lot up with his packet of kippers,WHAT A WALLY 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, bomber said:

you have avoided the question,i asked how did it affect YOU,if your a farmer/fisherman and feel hard done by please state this,invasion without bullets is fantasy talk iam afraid,i know farmers and have never hear'd them moan about the Eu once in 50 years,fishermen i cannot comment on but iam aware fishing HAS to be controlled or there wont be any left to fish, regardless of kipper packaging ???? again what laws are you referring to? bureaucracy we could all do with out it agree,hows about starting with the HoC,my local council office,my local Nik,doctors,who needs law and order when we have brexit? too easy to blame the EU iam afraid,boris summed you lot up with his packet of kippers,WHAT A WALLY 

You should read what you wrote.

"so how did this event make your next 45 years so difficult?"

I have told you. Its all the accumulative events I described.

The rest of your post... well its you trying to be funny, as usual, which you are not.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bomber said:

am afraid,i know farmers and have never hear'd them moan about the Eu once in 50 years

farmers have been controlled by the Common Agriculture Policy. I remember farms having to be sold because of this.

fishermen i cannot comment on but iam aware fishing HAS to be controlled or there wont be any left to fish,

Obviously you don't reailse that other EU countries fish far more than the UK does in UK waters, so the idea of controlled fishing as your suggesting, is nonsense.

again what laws are you referring to?

The Immigration and migration law for one but there are plenty more.

I know it won't change your mind but this explains a few things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/25/7-reasons-why-some-europeans-hate-the-e-u/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c649f97a07ae

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, blazes said:

don't want to be too pedantic, but Welsh, while obviously a Celtic language, also has the occasional Latin word, reflecting, no doubt, the Roman invasion of Wales (long before the Anglo-Norman invasion, as evidenced by all the bleeding castles dotting the Welsh landscape from the 12-1300s to this day).

For example, there is Welsh "pont" (= bridge); "gwin" (= wine); 'ffenestr" (= window or 'fenestra' in Latin,); possibly 'mynydd' from "Latin "mons" = mountain

probably more, but means a lot of dictionary combing (and boring of the good citizens of this thread).  And a mod's knuckle-rapping for getting off-topic.

My dear old granny was Welsh from Montgomery, she learned me to count to 5 in welsh by the time I was 5. No more off topic promise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

and cornish is way off the map. My ex-wife is German and while we were in Hamburg visiting her grandfather I listened to him speaking platt deutsch, some of it sounded a lot like English, for instance "What is the time" = in high German "Wie viel uhr is es" = Platt deutsch "wat hat die clock"

Memories of BAOR ????

(I was almost fluent while pissed!)

Edited by evadgib

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

and cornish is way off the map. My ex-wife is German and while we were in Hamburg visiting her grandfather I listened to him speaking platt deutsch, some of it sounded a lot like English, for instance "What is the time" = in high German "Wie viel uhr is es" = Platt deutsch "wat hat die clock"

Leith, with it's Baltic trade long continued to incorporate German words into Scots. You could say Dinnae gie us yer shpeil, meaning don't talk rubbish (Play with words) from the German "Spielen" to play. Although I would have found this phrase very useful in this forum, I have avoided it, I'm a polite guy............no really!

• Like 1

Hey, seeing all these threads whose titles contain "PM Johnson," always gotta suppress a giggle.  Over on the US side of the pond johnson is a colloquialism for what the Brits call John Thomas.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Obviously you don't reailse that other EU countries fish far more than the UK does in UK waters, so the idea of controlled fishing as your suggesting, is nonsense.

The Immigration and migration law for one but there are plenty more.

They do so because they own the fishing rights, purchased, owned and their rights secured under UK law.

Everything to do with UK law and nothing at all to do with the EU.

3 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Leith, with it's Baltic trade long continued to incorporate German words into Scots. You could say Dinnae gie us yer shpeil, meaning don't talk rubbish (Play with words) from the German "Spielen" to play. Although I would have found this phrase very useful in this forum, I have avoided it, I'm a polite guy............no really!

You’ve just reminded me to book a table at ‘The Ship on the Shore’ for my forthcoming trip back to Edinburgh.

11 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You should read what you wrote.

"so how did this event make your next 45 years so difficult?"

I have told you. Its all the accumulative events I described.

The rest of your post... well its you trying to be funny, as usual, which you are not.

Accumulative so name them then

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

They do so because they own the fishing rights, purchased, owned and their rights secured under UK law.

Everything to do with UK law and nothing at all to do with the EU.

What about the packaging for our kippers ????????????????????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve just reminded me to book a table at ‘The Ship on the Shore’ for my forthcoming trip back to Edinburgh.

Excellent venue - I'm not sure if it's still open though.  The Kings Wark is good if not.

Edited by Nigel Garvie