Immigration: Hundreds of foreigners arrested in southern Thailand since start of the month

rooster59

America 50 years ago : we choose to go to the moon,  not because it's easy,  but because it's hard.

Thailand present day : we choose to targets illegals like migrant workers, not because it's hard, but because it's easy. We choose not to prosecute agents because that is hard and even though we have smart vans quite frankly that would not be profitable. ????

I do not understand the mourning about this issue. As far as I understand they ALL are here illegally or done something illegal. Has NOTHING to do with "good" farangs.

Some must leave the country, others will arrive, hopefully with their papers in order once they learn they can not cheat. 

2 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

..... but zero Thai criminals arrested. Always only focus on foreigners. Hopefully, the the number is going down again. Because, Thais do not deserve it, that foreigners visit their country. May everybody moves to Vietnam etc.

immigration nomally focuses on foreigners not Thais.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I read this in the OP:

"Twelve people were involved in human trafficking cases in Songkhla and Satun - this involved Thais, Malaysians and people from Myanmar."  

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I read this in the OP:

"Twelve people were involved in human trafficking cases in Songkhla and Satun - this involved Thais, Malaysians and people from Myanmar."  

Its simply witch hunting! All thais problems come from foreigners isnt? 

1 hour ago, peter14 said:

News headline bit racist 

The words "Immigration" and "Foreigners" do seem to go hand in hand!

But unfortunately we do not seem to see many headlines reporting the fact that the RTP have arrested hundreds of PROPER "criminals" and consequently as far as the general populace is concerned "Foreigners" = "Bad Guys"!

Remember that inquiry into human trafficking down south 3 or 4 years ago. There was a sort of death camp. The policeman in charge of the inquiry found systematic corruption and involvement by big wigs in the police and immigration (southern region).

After naming names he was politely thanked and then appointed to a new position within the jurisdiction of those he had named as being involved. Not surprisingly he fled to Australia and applied for asylum on the grounds that he would be killed if he took up his new position or eveb stayed in Thailand.

I wonder what happened to him and the bigwigs named for human trafficking?

1 hour ago, JEM53 said:

I do not understand the mourning about this issue. As far as I understand they ALL are here illegally or done something illegal. Has NOTHING to do with "good" farangs.

This has nothing to do with white European / north Americans at all in any way.

There are millions of asians living in Thailand, every one of them a walking target. I'd bet (if betting wasn't already illegal) that there's a good section of the immigration department who pretty much never deal with white foreigners as we are pretty rare compared to the rest of them who all come from Asia.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So, yet another big song and dance over finding a few immigrants from neighbouring countries. There are after all over a million of them spread around, so finding a few with dodgy credentials shouldn't be too difficult. No mention of any expats involved, but the tone of the story still tends to tar us with the same brush and makes readers get the impression that so, so many foreigners in general are bad for the country. I like this attitude less and less with every such story.

Calm down you seem as tense as soneone  ready to through a race card out.

There was nothing in that report that made me feel like expats are bad 

Crazy

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So, yet another big song and dance over finding a few immigrants from neighbouring countries. There are after all over a million of them spread around, so finding a few with dodgy credentials shouldn't be too difficult. No mention of any expats involved, but the tone of the story still tends to tar us with the same brush and makes readers get the impression that so, so many foreigners in general are bad for the country. I like this attitude less and less with every such story.

Yeah, we're all evil and a threat to the national security of Thailand.
Broad brush; xenophobic-coloured paint.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I agree. much simpler to state 'Asian, foreigners arrested.

i thought most western passports were biometric anyway.they seem to be catching many from everywhere these days.overstay or work permits they know where they maybe in Thailand.just every now and then they go on a purge and  put press stories out

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

i agree with you, but do you think we, farangs are becoming a bit sensitive regarding this issue ?

It starts right at their home with their people. Land of Fleecing.

Of course Darkside is right on the money stating just another instance that will be added up making us lumped in to look as the worst of the worst bad ole expats, money pit criminals. So they will continue to push the point harder on tracking us like the wild animals we are. Ofcourse I drag it out of context, but not much.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

It starts right at their home with their people. Land of Fleecing.

Of course Darkside is right on the money stating just another instance that will be added up making us lumped in to look as the worst of the worst bad ole expats, money pit criminals. So they will continue to push the point harder on tracking us like the wild animals we are. Ofcourse I drag it out of context, but not much.

I agree, if there was not opportunity here (provided by locals in terms of employment or transit) they would not come illegally. 

On 7/27/2019 at 1:59 PM, SuwadeeS said:

..... but zero Thai criminals arrested. Always only focus on foreigners. Hopefully, the the number is going down again. Because, Thais do not deserve it, that foreigners visit their country. May everybody moves to Vietnam etc.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:16 PM, Old Croc said:

I read this in the OP:

I've lost count of the number of times that people comment without reading the post properly - and the number of times that they never say "sorry"!

21 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

But to be fair its pretty much like that when i think about other countries like Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore or even back home in Germany.

People dont really give a sh!t anymore. 

But in Thailand most cashier staff say thank you or so that thank you thing with their hands and bow a little to thai customers and foreigners as well.

And in some stores and 7/11 they even talk say Thank you in English or the amount of baht in English.

I agree with what you say, but the point I was making is that Thailand never used to be like that:-

"..................... Thais had become less welcoming, and over the last few years, the smile had disappeared."

In another post I mentioned that it was the first thing I noticed about Thailand, as opposed to the "Who the f@#k you looking at" response back in London!

And I did mention that the checkout girl was the only one to acknowledge me, and very true about the staff at 7/11 - never had cause to complain about them at all - in fact at the 7/11 nearest me they always  greet you when you walk in!

9 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i agree with you, but do you think we, farangs are becoming a bit sensitive regarding this issue ?

No! - nearly every day (on ThaiVisa anyway) there is a headline about Immigration and "farangs"/foreigners.

They could report this every week if they wanted, it's not really very interesting, poor Burmese workers will do anything to find a  job in Thailand. 

Westerners are maybe more interesting to read about.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:02 PM, RichardColeman said:

OK, so I am a pretty daft person, but a portable biometric scanner would do the job if Thailand insisted all passports had to be biometric

Country like myanmar still has no biometric passport.

9 hours ago, sambum said:

No! - nearly every day (on ThaiVisa anyway) there is a headline about Immigration and "farangs"/foreigners.

yes i agree, but if you meet the requirements no problem. if you cant meet the requirements hit the road jack.

Archived