Education Ministry to push for coding as third language for Thai students

rooster59

UNIVERSITIES should be happy their students are able to speak a second language. Far from learning a third language. All only wishful thinking

A common thinking in this country

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Never heard of coding.org?

Coding for toddlers is picture and block based and teaches the concept of movement and looping. 

Code.org uses Frozen and Starwars in their curriculum. The future of coding is block based coding and starts indeed at Kindergarten level. You can take free teacher courses at Code.org, which is founded and supported by companies such as Facebook and Disney.

The objective, however, should not be how to create apps , but how to operate machines.

I used to mentor a First Robotics team at a high school in the USA for quite a few years.  They had a junior LEGO League for younger kids.  I helped at one of their competitions and interviewed some teams as part of the awards program.  They were using some pictorial/block software, and I was extremely impressed at how the kids explained their code and their approach to the game strategy. I think some of the kids were grade-schoolers.

It had everything to do with controlling the little LEGO robot, not creating a (Cr)app.  My younger son was also impressed, though he was just in high school then.  He went on to become a machinist, and learned fairly low-level machine code to control machinery and make parts.  He also uses higher level CAD/CAM software to design the parts and optimize the efficiency. He's given a lesson or two to his GF, who is a high-level application coder/architect.  Same but different.

I wonder if these people at the ministry realize just how many "languages" exist in the coding world.  Of the 250 or more that exist, perhaps a dozen are popular these days.  As Bluesofa said, "They do have wits, they've been in training for years. Most of them are halfway there."  Makes me think of a funny name, Mahawitialai  Kreung Tang. That would be a half-way college, maybe a two year degree. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

I see another major flaw in her planning.  As others have pointed out already, without having a proper understanding of English, or the prime language the programming is to be written in, no programming will be done.  However, what programming language is she wanting students to learn - Basic (which one), C, C++, Java, an SQL, etc?

'nuf sed.

I'd say SQL.  Very powerful.

SQL> SELECT ID, NAME, AGE, AMOUNT, HOTEL
   FROM CUSTOMERS, NETWORTH
   WHERE  NETWORTH> 20 MILLION BAHT;
   AND BAR.ADDRESS = WALKING STREET

I may not have the syntax right, but I know what I'm looking for.  I've been practicing inner and outer joins.

On the other hand. I've seen some good pictures in stuff programmed with Visual C++.  It's available in English, Chinese (Simplified & Traditional), Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish, Turkish apparently.  Maybe they need to get some Thai girl pictures in there. 

Edited by Damrongsak

Yuh, that would be COBOL I assume.  :stoner:

How about they start by teaching them some basic morality,  philosophy, history, geography, science and math (just for starters) before jumping into the coding?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Thanks 1