Village dogs

My friend has asked me to visit his village  in Isaan again ( Won Non) 

last time i went i was nearly attacked by wild dogs, went for what i thought was a nice walk to the temple which had a cemetery of cremation statutes

i could actually hear dogs in the distance barking but took no notice.

on walking out of the temple about 4 barking dogs approached me so i walked back into the grounds and was going to head out the other exit only to see the little mongrels had also blocked that exit 

these were absolutely viscious and then the big one tried to attack before i ran back into the monks area where i was helped 

how do u guys go with this that live in the village?

• Haha 1

After being bitten ( on my bicycle never saw it coming ) a year and a half ago I now carry one of those extending batons on my bike and one in the car.

Never actually made contact but just the action of snapping it out has deterred dogs and monkeys !!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm sure it does. However, given one has to get up close and personal to make contact, the odds are pretty good one would be bitten before or while applying it.

This will give a little more distance. Swing at them like your playing base ball...aim for the head. 

1500691_131113085635_1168_tazer.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I have noticed that dogs where I live don't appreciate aggressive humans and they do remember.  Better to play nice and make friends in my opinion.

I live across the road from 5 dogs. One snarled at me when I first came to live here, but he soon realized that I was no threat and now he and all the pack treat me with indifference.

There is only one person in the village who gets any angst from them and that's a women from down the road who insists on waving a stick at them whenever she passes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I am in agreement with you.  I hike, run, cycle, and walk my own dog and I have never had a real problem.  There can be some noise but I have always found being friendly and not being afraid works.  I enjoy watching the interaction between human and dog as well as dog and dog.

We have an older dog who makes scary noises but never bites.  Other dogs are intimidated at first but they soon learn how to deal with the grumpy old man.  I have noticed that dogs where I live don't appreciate aggressive humans and they do remember.  Better to play nice and make friends in my opinion.

If you take that as normal, it will not be long before you are in trouble.  In a land filed with soi dogs and with rabies present, as well as many other transmittable diseases, to your dog if not to you, absolute caution and discretion is a must.  Thai dogs, as we all know,  are much more territorial than domesticated pets and if you invade what they see as their space they can very easily attack you without warning. Even dogs on the beach can be just as bad. I carry a large stick when I walk my little dog and never let them get close to me or to him. 

• Like 1

I was of the opinion that soi dogs will only be aggressive if they think you are entering their territory.

But, when I was riding my bicycle I entered a narrow soi, I sensed the dog too late as he lunged at me from behind and nipped the back of my thigh just underneath my backside.
I believe he was under a pickup.
He ran off down the soi , no doubt happy with himself [emoji51], I now avoid this soi.

Now I carry a “ deterrent “ !!.

I will only use it if the threat becomes obvious.

I like dogs and have owned many but here the shear numbers of dogs roaming the streets makes me unwilling to have any more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Never run. Never carry a stick. Walk on calmly making friendly sounds if you so wish.

Barking dogs are not being aggressive. They are simply announcing their presence in their territory. If you show no signs of aggression yourself, you are very unlikely to have any problems.

I've applied this format for many years both here and in Egypt. It's never let me down.

Cyclists do, of course have a different issue. Speeding past a dog on a bicycle can trigger the hunting instinct and they'll give chase. Best thing to do, I've always found is to stop and look back toward them. It confuses them because prey don't normally do that!

I carry a couple of big stones on my bike, if any dogs chase me, I look at it as attempted assault, when I am being chased, I slow down until the dog gets along side me then I wallop it with the big stone.

This has happened twice in the last six months, and I have never seen either of these dogs again and I ride pass the same places nearly every day.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm sure it does. However, given one has to get up close and personal to make contact, the odds are pretty good one would be bitten before or while applying it.

The sound will make any dog run away,no dog will bite you when you use this to keep them at a distance.

If they do try?fry them!!

• Like 2

Get hold of Bear Spray someplace ...or maybe on the internet...  It's not ordinary pepper spray...  it's super strong made to defend against bears.  

The soi dogs will recover and not be permanently hurt, but after just a few encounters with you, they will quickly learn to avoid you.  They will end up quickly disappearing when they see you coming down the street.

Edited by Catoni
addition

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

If you take that as normal, it will not be long before you are in trouble.  In a land filed with soi dogs and with rabies present, as well as many other transmittable diseases, to your dog if not to you, absolute caution and discretion is a must.  Thai dogs, as we all know,  are much more territorial than domesticated pets and if you invade what they see as their space they can very easily attack you without warning. Even dogs on the beach can be just as bad. I carry a large stick when I walk my little dog and never let them get close to me or to him. 

That's why I got my three Rabies pre-exposure vaccine shots.  If bitten by a rabid dog, rat or bat, etc... I will only need two more vaccine shots.. and I don't have to worry whether or not they have Human Rabies Immune Globulin..(sometimes not easy to find),  or the very pricey cost of HRIG.

In some places in the world, HRIG can cost a couple thousand bucks. 

If you have NOT had your three pre-exposure Rabies vaccine shots and you get bitten or otherwise exposed to Rabies.... you MUST also get HRIG. 

However. you don't need HRIG if you've had your three pre-exposure Rabies vaccine shots.  You only need two more Rabies vaccine shots....taken on day 0 and day 3 or as soon as absolutely possible... Don't wait... because once symptoms start showing... it's too late.. and you are going to die a bad death. 

Easy... ????   

Edited by Catoni
addition

Friction lock (telescopic) baton and pepper spray.  I always take it with me when walking my dog.  Not had to use it yet.  Just the sound of the baton thwacking out makes them back off.

BTW, the dogs that bark are generally not the ones to worry about when walking; it’s the silent ones that try to creep up on your blind side.  Riding a bike will always trigger an unpredictable response, especially from pregnant and and postnatal bitches.

• Like 1