Village dogs

On 7/28/2019 at 10:00 PM, Swedenlars said:

Rule number one: Never run away from a dog. Stand stiil, turn your back on him/them. Walk slowly away. If this doesn't help: Bad luckemoji13.png

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

My way of handling them is to turn the tables on 'em. I face them head on, look them strajght in the eye...and then make a mad run at them yelling and roaring....a bunch of cowards...every one of them, constantly looking over their shoulder to see if they are getting support.

I remember being told many years ago...dogs can smell "fear" off you...so don't be afraid. That's one thing they won't smell off me...for sure.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:12 PM, mike787 said:

This works very well.   Sold on walking street.

StunGun1.jpg

It does indeed. And no need to be any closer than 20 ft. The high frequency sound of the spark drives them away instantly. They hear the frequencies we don't.

You can buy them cheap on Lazada as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was on the back of a motorbike taxi in bang chang,on a major road one day,this dog starting barking and chasing after the bike,I turned growled very loud at this mutt,poor old mutt didn't know what happened,turned around with tail between his legs and whimpered away, motorbike taxi driver couldn't stop laughing.

7 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

My way of handling them is to turn the tables on 'em. I face them head on, look them strajght in the eye...and then make a mad run at them yelling and roaring....a bunch of cowards...every one of them, constantly looking over their shoulder to see if they are getting support.

I remember being told many years ago...dogs can smell "fear" off you...so don't be afraid. That's one thing they won't smell off me...for sure.

That has always worked for me as well. It dies take a spurt of courage but is very rewarding to see the run.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:06 PM, Moonlover said:

Never run. Never carry a stick. Walk on calmly making friendly sounds if you so wish.

Barking dogs are not being aggressive. They are simply announcing their presence in their territory. If you show no signs of aggression yourself, you are very unlikely to have any problems.

I've applied this format for many years both here and in Egypt. It's never let me down.

Cyclists do, of course have a different issue. Speeding past a dog on a bicycle can trigger the hunting instinct and they'll give chase. Best thing to do, I've always found is to stop and look back toward them. It confuses them because prey don't normally do that!

Yea right, lady in our village got bitten 3 times in one year  by mongrel mutts She never carries a stick, walks slow  and she talked to the dogs. Being Nice didn't do any good . Some very bad dogs around here a few other people  got bitten as well . won't be long they will get baited again by some one in the neighborhood same thing happen a few years ago.

I like dogs and will follow the happy, nonchalant attitude stated a few times already, many times commenting to the dog(s) as I approach/pass.

I have been bitten once however, a sneaky bite from behind, just turning and challenging it was enough for it to run off.

I've seen it again many times since and it keeps away.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I face them head on, look them strajght in the eye...and then make a mad run at them yelling and roaring

This is wrong tactic. You should just ignore them and keep on walking (armed with a suitable bamboo stick) if the leader, it's always the leader, should attack, give him a serious dose of the bamboo stick.

I found a sling shot to be the best detterent . First you got to get the most dominant dog a direct hit to the arse or thereabouts then the rest of his troops will follow suit . 

Now all dogs in the village know I mean business and scatter when they see me coming ( with or without my slingshot ). 

For dogs that dont see you on a regular basis a juicy big stick does the trick every time .

My minder always tells me to be careful of the dogs and take a stick with me.

She knows that there are some specific animals around the village that are not open to the wise reason of Villagefarang and have launched straight into attack in the past.

I do as she says.

A cautionary tale ... on Sunday 7th my partner cycling to the exercise park, 800m from home, had not seen or heard a dog which lunged, bit into the back of her upper leg, leaving her on the road, nothing broken, but grazed. 

Straight to hospital, risk of infection was her concern, but their response was straight into rabies vaccination process.

That evening she had rabies immuno globulin at site of the bite, 2 x rabies vaccinations, tetanus.

The rabies jabs are one in each deltoid/shoulder.

Wednesday evening, and Sunday, more in each shoulder, and final ones this Sunday 4 August.

0, 3, 7 and 28 days

We're in Chanthaburi, no recent rabies incidence here that I can find, last/nearest death I found a report on was in Buriram, in April this year, however hospital taking no risks.

Like many, maybe, I didn't realise how serious (fatal) rabies is. Last year we were at a temple in Khao Chakan, Sa Kaeo, where there had been an outbreak of rabies in the monkey population, didn't think any more of it.

Don't ignore any dog bites....

• Like 1

A cautionary tale ... on Sunday 7th my partner cycling to the exercise park, 800m from home, had not seen or heard a dog which lunged, bit into the back of her upper leg, leaving her on the road, nothing broken, but grazed. 
Straight to hospital, risk of infection was her concern, but their response was straight into rabies vaccination process.
That evening she had rabies immuno globulin at site of the bite, 2 x rabies vaccinations, tetanus.
The rabies jabs are one in each deltoid/shoulder.
Wednesday evening, and Sunday, more in each shoulder, and final ones this Sunday 4 August.
0, 3, 7 and 28 days
We're in Chanthaburi, no recent rabies incidence here that I can find, last/nearest death I found a report on was in Buriram, in April this year, however hospital taking no risks.
Like many, maybe, I didn't realise how serious (fatal) rabies is. Last year we were at a temple in Khao Chakan, Sa Kaeo, where there had been an outbreak of rabies in the monkey population, didn't think any more of it.
Don't ignore any dog bites....

Similar story to mine !

On a bicycle I think we are more susceptible, watching traffic, sunken drain covers and mc’s heading our way leave us open to these “ ninja “ soi dogs !!

Plus, the month of rabies jabs is not pleasant !!

I’m sure we all have different stories and situations regarding soi dogs, personally I don’t want to get bitten, have no time or intention of making friends with them. A shout in their direction usually lets them know I’m not afraid and I do have the extending baton to fall back on .