Cyprus police arrest Briton in rape claim, free Israelis

webfact

Cyprus police arrest Briton in rape claim, free Israelis

2019-07-28T172301Z_1_LYNXNPEF6R0G4_RTROPTP_4_CYPRUS-CRIME-TOURISTS.JPG

Journalists are seen in front a police bus transfering Israeli tourists, arrested over the alleged rape of a British tourist in the resort town of Ayia Napa, in the Famagusta courthouse in Paralimni, Cyprus July 26, 2019. REUTERS/Yiannis Kourtoglou

ATHENS (Reuters) - Police in Cyprus said they arrested a 19-year-old British woman on Sunday on suspicion of filing a false complaint of gang rape for which a dozen Israeli teens had been detained as suspects.

Seven of the Israelis were released on Sunday, a police official said. Five had been released last week.

The 12 individuals had initially been detained on a court order in mid-July after the woman said she had been assaulted in a hotel room in the resort of Ayia Napa. The youths had denied the claim.

"Rape never took place," one police source said. The woman is being held on suspicion of public mischief after giving another statement to police.

"The alleged victim has refrained from her statement and will be charged with public nuisance for giving false testimony," Ioannis Habaris, a lawyer for some of the suspects, told Reuters TV.

He said their next course of action would be filing a civil lawsuit against the woman on behalf of the youths.

By law, Cypriot authorities are required within 24 hours of an arrest to take a suspect before a magistrate where an extension of remand can be requested.

Israeli Education Minister Rafael Peretz, speaking to reporters outside a cabinet meeting on Sunday, said of the Cypruscase: "We need to check the details. We are certainly in favour of the children of Israel having the highest moral standard."

(Reporting by Yiannis Kourtoglou in Paralimni, Cyprus, Michele Kambas in Athens, Dan Williams in Jerusalem; Editing by Susan Fenton and Dale Hudson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-29

2 hours ago, elwood said:

Perhaps you should take a look at British newspaper websites. There have been several cases where men have been released from prison  because the woman's claim was found to be false.

Including a false claim by a Brit teen against a black Frenchman in Thailand. Ten years if convicted I say. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6005362/french-holidaymaker-accused-rape-british-thailand-released-cops-drop-case/

• Thanks 1

Making up false claims is far more common than people realise ( I have significant professional experience in this field).  Usual reasons are buyers remorse, or more typically to justify an absence to a partner or family member.  

6 hours ago, losworld said:

Hey this is cyprus and you live in thailand so you should all know these things are not cut and dried.  May have been a big payoff and now the gal is charged.  I don't believe a woman would try to make up a rape charge.  There is a lot more to this story you can bet.  And let's cut the "highest moral standards" bs.  It is asinine for any nation to say that in the current world we live in.

I don't think there was any "payoff". It states in the OP that she "refrained from her statement". According to various reports, it seems like she originally went along with one (or maybe more) of the guys, and things took off from there. What apparently pissed her off was being filmed and pics doing the rounds.

Summer vacations on Cyprus (or at least, some parts of Cyprus) can get rowdy, sometimes out of hand. I'm sure there's not much to be commended with regard to the Israelis behavior or character, just that it might not have been quite the story as originally alleged.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, losworld said:

May have been a big payoff and now the gal is charged.

Huh? The girl accused 12 guys of raping her. Turns out only 3 guys had sex with her, the other 9 weren't even there (some with clear proof) and she admitted it was consensual. I'm not sure but I read somewhere she has a history of filing false complaints in the past. Pound Me Too be damned, but just because some hoe says she was raped doesn't make it true.