Back you go! Thirteen foreigners with no money denied entry to Thailand

webfact

Not necessarily. I have travel insurance with my credit card provider on the condition of purchasing a certain amount of the travel costs with the card.

What card do you have? My card has travel insurance, but medical and evacuation is not covered.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mogandave said:

What card do you have? My card has travel insurance, but medical and evacuation is not covered.

In Australia at least, lots of gold and platinum cards have free travel insurance that includes medical and evacuation. You don’t necessarily need a very high income to be eligible for one of these cards. My ANZ platinum has unlimited emergency medical coverage, but only for those aged under 70, and you do need to be a resident of Australia.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:52 AM, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Looks like immigration doesn't like guys who carry man purses.

If that were true there would be no male Japanese tourists. They are surprised to have their shoulder purses checked at Nana Plaza.

If you come to New Zealand without money you don't get in because the Government here only wants everyone's money 

But they usually sting you well before you even get here with all their charges to foreigners especially the Asians and Philippino people get charged like wounded bulls so the only ones that can get in are the rich or people that have had to borrow money to come and try to make a new start and the Government here is trying to stop a lot of women coming over even with their husbands now and things seem to be getting worse in Englosh speaking Countries like here so it's only fair that the Thai people start treating everyone the same as they have been treated for years

I say good on them for standing up to the English system shit and giving back as they have had done to them it's about time ????????????????

On 7/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, emptypockets said:

Visa exempt every single time. Never been asked for any of it. Put the wife's house address on the TM6. Usually get a positive comment about Isaan.

Only one time about 7 or 8 visa exempt entries ago (late last year) a female IO told me she recommended I get a visa. I asked how I could do that and she just gave a dumb look and stamped me in. I've avoided female IO's since. I'm on my 3rd passport in 5 years as I ran out of pages. 42 page Oz passports. A lot of full page visas from other countries matching the visa exempts on for one.

You've been lucky. I've been using exempt entries until late last year. Around August 2018 I started getting grilled at the immigration desk every time I entered: "what are you doing in Thailand?", "What is your work?", "Why so many entries?", etc. The first officer finally let me through, after demanding a "tip". The second officer let me through after I showed him a ticket to my home country. I finally broke and got A METV in October, and on my second METV now. So far no problems, but we will see...

11 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You've been lucky. I've been using exempt entries until late last year. Around August 2018 I started getting grilled at the immigration desk every time I entered: "what are you doing in Thailand?", "What is your work?", "Why so many entries?", etc. The first officer finally let me through, after demanding a "tip". The second officer let me through after I showed him a ticket to my home country. I finally broke and got A METV in October, and on my second METV now. So far no problems, but we will see...

Your problems will begin once the METV expires.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:29 AM, Lee65 said:

And then they detain these people.  Put them in a room until their flight out - but only on the same airline, to the same origin - is available.  Sometimes for days.

No reason required.  No true justification.  Could & does happen to anyone - including wealthy farangs.  Just at the whim of an IO. 

Nice country, Thailand.    

their country,their rules,you,re just a guest there.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:24 PM, Reigntax said:

Not necessarily. I have travel insurance with my credit card provider on the condition of purchasing a certain amount of the travel costs with the card.

rates those slags charge,would probably be cheaper to buy a travel insurance policy and change your money at the tt.

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

It costs nothing to use many credit cards, in fact, a lot of cards “pay-back” 1-3% of purchases.

It usually makes sense to use your credit card in the country it was issued. However, you may be less enamored with using it in Thailand after comparing the exchange rate on your baht purchases with the rate available at SuperRich or Vasu.

It usually makes sense to use your credit card in the country it was issued. However, you may be less enamored with using it in Thailand after comparing the exchange rate on your baht purchases with the rate available at SuperRich or Vasu.

If you have a card with no foreign transaction fees and pay in Thai-Baht you get a better rate than you can get form SuperRich. Never used Vasu, but I imagine it’s similar.

To be clear, I’ve been using a US no-fees card in Thailand for about 15 years.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

When will people start to get assessed at point of origin??

The carriers are going to get pissed off with this after a while

On the contrary - they get to sell last-minute priced tickets.  I suspect the commissions from the sales agents, who visit the detained to arrange purchase, are being shared with immigration.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:58 AM, ukrules said:

Your problems will begin once the METV expires.

I plan a trip to my home country anyway around that time (I like to travel there twice a year), so will just apply for a new one at the time. I doubt it will get denied, but if it does then I will have to re-evaluate Thailand as my "base of operations". Philippines is fun, and wouldn't mind spending some more time in Cambodia too.

Archived