Sterling slumps on 'no-deal Brexit' worries; stocks dip

webfact

Just now, baboon said:

Sheesh, why is it so difficult for some to simply offer the gentleman a few kind words and leave it at that? The last thing the chap needs is a critical appraisal of his life. (Not having a go at you).

laughing man telling him to find a job in thailand was as you well know a thickheaded thing to say,but he is a brexiteer.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bomber said:

laughing man telling him to find a job in thailand was as you well know a thickheaded thing to say,but he is a brexiteer.

I am not going there. It isn't appropriate in the case of jimballard to be using his plight to score political points, whether one is 'Leave' or 'Remain'.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bomber said:

the break up of the UK will stop brexit,ive said it for a long time now,it gets BJ out of jail and probably re elected at the next GE

Aha! Bomber finally has a point! This is a possibility that is not discussed AFAIK.

14 minutes ago, kingdong said:

say again feel sorry about your circumstances,good luck with your move back to uk,when looking for a job it will probably be zero hour contract,in the "gig" economy or "self employed"[a scam to get round minimum wage and workers rights,you will also encounter the "points"system if you are applying for state housing,and as a single,able bodied man you,ll be lower than a snakes belly,for above working conditions to succeed,it needs a large workforce,theres over 2 million eu citizens living in uk-what do,es that tell you about conditions in their own eu countries? i live in britain and like yourself don,t find it funny.

It tells you there are too many Brits claiming benefits when they should be working,we should also see more returning from the EU due to the pounds collapse,they will need housing and medical attention when needed,these things usually equal out but The brexiteer won't have it.

32 minutes ago, kingdong said:

say again feel sorry about your circumstances,good luck with your move back to uk,when looking for a job it will probably be zero hour contract,in the "gig" economy or "self employed"[a scam to get round minimum wage and workers rights,you will also encounter the "points"system if you are applying for state housing,and as a single,able bodied man you,ll be lower than a snakes belly,for above working conditions to succeed,it needs a large workforce,theres over 2 million eu citizens living in uk-what do,es that tell you about conditions in their own eu countries? i live in britain and like yourself don,t find it funny.

I am sure the chap really needs to hear that. Jesus, can't you find it within yourself for to offer him a few positive words under his distressing circumstances?

5 minutes ago, kingdong said:

while i agree with your first point,lets take a large employer as a case in point=uber despite being ordered by a british court that their drivers are actually employees,entitled to minimum wage,holidays,sick pay etc,etc they,re now dragging it out by going to a higher court,this is a company that dosen,t pay a penny tax in the uk,who state they,re  "a technology company" not a taxi firm and whose employees are recieving state subsidys in the form  of tax and rent credits,the employees are aprox 90%migrant workers,so lets get out of europe,stop the freedom of movement,and make companies like uber obey the law,and pay their tax in britain.also god help these brits returning to the uk  wanting state housing and medical attention we,re far too overcrowded as  it is.

I know for a fact Uber give backhanders out to UK councils,along with many in other nations,not an EU issue it's up to local UK councils not to pay them,

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kingdong said:

while i agree with your first point,lets take a large employer as a case in point=uber despite being ordered by a british court that their drivers are actually employees,entitled to minimum wage,holidays,sick pay etc,etc they,re now dragging it out by going to a higher court,this is a company that dosen,t pay a penny tax in the uk,who state they,re  "a technology company" not a taxi firm and whose employees are recieving state subsidys in the form  of tax and rent credits,the employees are aprox 90%migrant workers,so lets get out of europe,stop the freedom of movement,and make companies like uber obey the law,and pay their tax in britain.also god help these brits returning to the uk  wanting state housing and medical attention we,re far too overcrowded as  it is.

It won't happen. It isn't the EU but the Conservative Party who introduced the gig economy. Who has privatised everything. Who has conserved nothing. Who called the Brexit referendum and has overseen the collapse of the Pound. It isn't The EU, it is them.

If you want to shout 'But Corbyn', fine. But our woes are down to us not the EU.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bomber said:

I know for a fact Uber give backhanders out to UK councils,along with many in other nations,not an EU issue it's up to local UK councils not to pay them,

cannot make head nor tail of your post,what exactly do,es----"its up to uk councils not to pay them"pay them what?also the fact they,re paying their tax in another eu country does make it an "eu issue"lets get out and if a company wants to start a buisness in the uk then they must pay their tax  in the uk,lets go back to making our own rules and laws for britains benefit not the eu

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, baboon said:

I am sure the chap really needs to hear that. Jesus, can't you find it within yourself for to offer him a few positive words under his distressing circumstances?

what do you want me to tell him?

12 minutes ago, baboon said:

It won't happen. It isn't the EU but the Conservative Party who introduced the gig economy. Who has privatised everything. Who has conserved nothing. Who called the Brexit referendum and has overseen the collapse of the Pound. It isn't The EU, it is them.

If you want to shout 'But Corbyn', fine. But our woes are down to us not the EU.

when and how did the conservative party "introduce the gig economy"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingdong said:

cannot make head nor tail of your post,what exactly do,es----"its up to uk councils not to pay them"pay them what?also the fact they,re paying their tax in another eu country does make it an "eu issue"lets get out and if a company wants to start a buisness in the uk then they must pay their tax  in the uk,lets go back to making our own rules and laws for britains benefit not the eu

UK councils hand over brown envolopes full of cash to Uber,if you don't understand god help you

when and how did the conservative party "introduce the gig economy"?

I thought the EU saved everyone from that, with all its workers rights and what not? The EU didn’t prevent the gig economy, but contributed to it with an endless supply of cheap labour on zero hour contracts. It didn’t do anything to improve the UK pensions. Hey if the EU had protected those you Remainers might be able to endure a low pound without Remoaning so much.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, baboon said:

Sheesh, why is it so difficult for some to simply offer the gentleman a few kind words and leave it at that? The last thing the chap needs is a critical appraisal of his life. (Not having a go at you).

It is because the poster is known on these boards as the villiage  I..... He can't be nice or say anything positive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

The eu will have to negotiate any trade deals with the UK, but my point was why is this not already happening?  Why has this most important point been left as the very last item on the agenda?

Negotiating a 'settlement' in conjunction with a good trade deal I can understand, but why on earth would the UK agree to any 'settlement' without a trade deal?

15 hours ago, adammike said:

It's against the law for any member of the EU to make trade deals on their own so the UK can only negotiate trade deals with the EU when it's no longer a member and the EU can only negotiate when the UK is no longer a member.

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I think it can negotiate whenever it likes. It just can't enter into a trade deal until it is officially out of the EU.

Thank you for replying adammike, but I hope bristolboy is correct as the EU/UK not being able to negotiate a trade deal until after the UK has left is ridiculous IMO - wheareas an agreed trade deal not coming into effect until after the UK leaves makes sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingdong said:

employees are aprox 90%migrant workers,so lets get out of europe,stop the freedom of movement

Another Brexiteers's fake news. Private hire drivers (such as User's drivers) originate mainly from oversees, in particular from the former British empire, so nothing to do with the EU. Additionally, a significant share of them is probably British.

https://medium.com/@NoahCarl/ethnic-distributions-of-taxi-drivers-and-phv-drivers-in-london-821d9f06b87

4 hours ago, candide said:

Another Brexiteers's fake news. Private hire drivers (such as User's drivers) originate mainly from oversees, in particular from the former British empire, so nothing to do with the EU. Additionally, a significant share of them is probably British.

https://medium.com/@NoahCarl/ethnic-distributions-of-taxi-drivers-and-phv-drivers-in-london-821d9f06b87

read the whole post.don,t just take one small section and misconstrue it.

Edited by kingdong
computers mullahered