Thai authorities mull different licences for "big bikes" after three deaths

webfact

Mull? It should be a no brainer and anyone without a genuine licence should have their bike taken away and scrapped its the only way they will learn to do the right thing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Currently, Thais have to be at least 15 years old to apply for a license that allows them to drive motorcycles with a 125cc engine.

I thought it was limited to 110cc? I read it at the fountain of all knowledge:

Is that the same training big SUV dealers give to their buyers? ????

Dealers just want to sell their products; they don't care at all what users do with their product... Hopefully the users come back and will buy more product

Said it before, it's the enforcement and real consequences to the action that will make the only difference.

Laws can say whatever, people will do whatever, until there is enforcement and realistic (deterrent) consequences. A couple hundred baht fine won't cut it, crush the machine and make the fines in the 5 figures or jail time will soon see a change in attitude.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

... Sellers of large, powerful motorcycles told to train buyers of big bikes

By The Nation

The distributors of large and powerful motorcycles have been told to provide training to buyers of their big bikes following a series of fatal accidents, the deputy director general of the Land Transport Department said on Tuesday,

Kamol Buranapong said the department has drafted a regulation that will require those seeking a big-bike driving license to have passed a certain number of hours of special training.

He said the department has recently held a meeting with distributors of Japanese, European and US big bike brands to seek their cooperation on the mandatory training... 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373938

Now, seriously, what about mandatory training for all motorcycle riders? 

Like the training Honda is offering...  

Training for a general (small) bike licence and a 2nd level for "big bikes" + include some riding in traffic.

"The Land Transport Department also plans to amend the traffic law to separate big-bike motorcycles from general motorcycles, the deputy director general added."

-> Good, if they let us use the tollways with a big bike license.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said buyers of new big bikes must receive a certain number of hours of training and those who apply for big-bike driving licenses must provide a certificate of big-bike driving training first.

The new bike rider training bike... 

images.jpg

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sellers of large, powerful motorcycles told to train buyers of big bikes

By The Nation

How stupid is that,one can say that sellers of fast cars or big engine cars must train the wannabe buyer.  It's the Idiot on the bike /driver of the car that must act responsible.. Ain't gonna happen ,to many brain less idiots on the roads training or not.

Twenty years ago I had a Yamaha XJ400 Diversion, a reduced capacity bike built for the Japanese market where they had licence restrictions for big bikes.

it had magnificent acceleration very little slower than an XJ900. Bikes have developed a lot since then. I had a CRF250 here as quick as my Diversion.

They need to start training for every bike and special training for anything over a 125cc as they do in other countries.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:18 AM, CPH said:

Drivers of big motorcycles should have a large L for learning on their plate number the first year of driving and be limited to a max speed of 100 km an hour. 

Renting out big motorcycles to tourists should be limited. The risk is too high because Thailand drives in the opposite side of the road than many other countris. 

A real bike fan, methinks. 

On 7/30/2019 at 12:26 AM, MaxYakov said:

It's not the sudden, negative acceleration it's Newton's reaction force that does the serious injury (i.e. blunt-force trauma).

In the multiple cases of the big bike rider decapitations we've seen, they ought to find out what's causing that and put a stop to it.  :stoner:

They need to screw their heads down tighter.  One or two revolutions...

On 7/30/2019 at 5:18 AM, CPH said:

The risk is too high because Thailand drives in the opposite side of the road than many other countris. 

This statement is only partially true.. 

Let me fix it for you.... 

~~~Thailand drived on both sides of the road.~~~

good move and finally.

tiered riding permit system based on age and cc of motorbike works. it saves lives!

It is introduced many years ago in Europe and motorcycle related deaths went down nicely.

and hoping that, if they separate big bikes from small bikes, we big bike riders possibly might be allowed on tollways, like in any other country on earth!

and, most probably this will not effect current holders of riding permit or current big bike riders.

most if not all brands here offer free big bike training too.

“Saves lives” is a common saying that people love to use. I can barely walk down the bloody road because there’s physically no space due to people being everywhere. Let nature take its course.

3 minutes ago, Galactus said:

good move and finally.

tiered riding permit system based on age and cc of motorbike works. it saves lives!

It is introduced many years ago in Europe and motorcycle related deaths went down nicely.

and hoping that, if they separate big bikes from small bikes, we big bike riders possibly might be allowed on tollways, like in any other country on earth!

But what will change, you will still get inexperienced riders underage and with no licence on super bikes, why ? Because the laws do not exist for many they live by complete ignorance and with little personal care, so if they want a 1000cc carry on i will just watch and shrug my shoulders

The problem in Thailand is that they are unwilling to spend money on things that matter - like road safety and the infrastructure and agencies that would actually have an effect on improving things - spending money on a Police force that actually enforce the law 

Instead we have people running the country that would rather buy submarines that Thailand needs like a fart in a spacesuit - the reason - because they can all skim off the top - nothing like creating a budget to buy or do something and 30% of it goes into the deep pockets of the corrupt, road safety and enforcing the law and standards costs a lot of money, it is what it is - the uneducated enrich themselves 

3rd world country with endemic corruption now trying to push the bill and responsibility for road safety onto those that sell cars and motorbikes, it really doesn't get much more ridiculous than that  

Archived