Thai authorities mull different licences for "big bikes" after three deaths

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Correction. Suddenly becoming stationary is what actually kills. 

It's not the sudden, negative acceleration it's Newton's reaction force that does the serious injury (i.e. blunt-force trauma).

In the multiple cases of the big bike rider decapitations we've seen, they ought to find out what's causing that and put a stop to it.  :stoner:

4 hours ago, 300sd said:

Great only 3 deaths.....Thai authorities should mull different licenses for small bikes after thousands of deaths.

Aaaah but one of the deaths was related to VIPs dont you know who we are??

.......And he has even suggested that giving bikers a high speed go on a racetrack - like in his home province of Buriram - would reduce road accidents. 

........Increasing biker accidents on a private track and protecting innocent third parties. Good idea!????‍♀️

Just let them continue to die. There’s no other way. You can’t teach them. There is no law enforcement. It’s a hopeless situation. The best they can do is let them eliminate themselves.

21 minutes ago, Papafarang said:

Different license that’s a joke 

traffic police not know what a full uk license is nevermind a international driving permit 

None of that even matters when 200b - 400b on the spot will fix it. 

The root of many problems in Thailand is the police. No enforcement and absolute corruption. It’s hopeless.

These kind of Bikes and the Riders of them are severely restricted in the UK.

FOR A REASON ! They are 2 wheel Missiles, that with little or no Training will end in a disaster for the Rider.

Only a complete Retard would ride one of these things on the most dangerous roads in the World.

6 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

It is good to hear there is at least discussion over this. Regardless of how many other wrongs there are regarding all vehicles, for the Transport Minister to make a statement is at least progress.

Driving habit of a nation will never change overnight. It will be a generational or multi generational thing. But Someone needs to start somewhere.

In my time here I have seen drink driving being accepted as part of life and that has slowly been changing to a point now where drink driving is now starting to gain a stigma about it. Not everyone is adhering to sober driving. But there is change.

Think back to your own country and consider how long social changes have taken over the generations. Some points that stand out for me are seatbelts, driving under the influence, AIDS awareness, domestic violence acknowledgement and sugar intake. All of those things took a long time to be grasped in the mainstream society of my birth country but they are now ingrained.

When I look at Thailand I see some social aspects trailing my home country by about 30 to 40 years. Some of this I look at fondly and hope the old methods don't change. But on matter of road deaths and community education for a better life, change can't come to soon.

At least the Transport Minister has planted a seed.

His seed planting involves chucking a mango stone in the gutter and walking away without a second glance. A mango tree is more likely to grow than his unthinking statement having a chance of germinating 

8 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

how many 'big bike' deaths compared to smaller bikes? My guess is it would be lucky to be 0.1%.

Should be calculated in percentage relative to the number vehicles, i.e. small bike and big bikes, to make any sense for comparison.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

These kind of Bikes and the Riders of them are severely restricted in the UK.

FOR A REASON ! They are 2 wheel Missiles, that with little or no Training will end in a disaster for the Rider.

Only a complete Retard would ride one of these things on the most dangerous roads in the World.

I ride a small (150) bike these days, but have had big bikes and they are safer.  Better brakes, more stable steering, tyres more suited to Thai roads.....  Also, on a small bike you can get out of trouble by braking and steering, on a big bike you have accelerating as well.

The tricks are;

1. Learn to ride the damn thing, 
  2. Just because there are big numbers on the speedo doesn't mean you have to use them.

for me, it took around a week to adjust to a big bike,

i dont think different licenses will make any tangible difference,

but i think the suggestion of offering up a race track can have positive effects, also think about the kids that race at night,

move them to the tracks when they want to test things

8 hours ago, 300sd said:

Great only 3 deaths.....Thai authorities should mull different licenses for small bikes after thousands of deaths.

It would sure be interesting to know what percentage of those killed in motorbike crashes are underage, or do not have a licence.

10 hours ago, essox essox said:

there are 75 countries that drive on the left......so your statement is not correct really

75 countries and territories as Isle of Man Isle of Wight ???? mostly ex commonwealth countries and Brit domination.

But it’s not the problem I am a usually drive right driver and drive in Thailand when you occasional driver need at the beginning a little more attention.

The problem is the driving skills.No proper training and tourist renting scooters they never use to drive in their country so again lack of driving skills.

2 minutes ago, Almer said:

Its the sudden unexpected stop that kills, e.g  a concete wall or the back of a car

And that is usually because the driver/rider did not have the ability or sense to anticipate or read the conditions at the time.

This needs more thought.

I have a CBF300. Big tyres so lots of rubber in contact with the road. Twin disk brakes with ABS. The bike is easy to stop quickly if the need arises.

Not long ago I was over taken by a young lad riding a 2 stroke Sonic. 125cc, single disk on the front and thin tyres.

I was doing about 100kms/h and he flew passed me. His bike is capable of higher speed than mine but under new rules nothing would change. Who is in the most danger?

Agree - no license in the world will help if the people who drive cars and ride motorbikes are not intelligent enough to handle these machines in a responsible manner.
Having been riding bikes small and big in this country for more than 30 years - I could write a book about the stupidity one encounters every single day on the roads here and another piece of paper that you can more or less buy will not change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sellers of large, powerful motorcycles told to train buyers of big bikes

By The Nation

800_4625a3c8dc47d4e.jpg?v=1564548523

The distributors of large and powerful motorcycles have been told to provide training to buyers of their big bikes following a series of fatal accidents, the deputy director general of the Land Transport Department said on Tuesday,

Kamol Buranapong said the department has drafted a regulation that will require those seeking a big-bike driving license to have passed a certain number of hours of special training.

The regulation is being screened by the Office of the Council of State and will be announced as a new ministerial regulation after it gets the green light, Kamol said.

He said the department has recently held a meeting with distributors of Japanese, European and US big bike brands to seek their cooperation on the mandatory training. 

He said buyers of new big bikes must receive a certain number of hours of training and those who apply for big-bike driving licenses must provide a certificate of big-bike driving training first.

The new regulation will be applied to motorcycles with engine capacity of at least 400cc, he said.

Currently, the motorcycle driving license does not specify the types of vehicles that can be driven but the new regulation would require big-bike drivers to have special driving license, which will carry big-bike logo, Kamol added.

Currently, Thais have to be at least 15 years old to apply for a license that allows them to drive motorcycles with a 125cc engine.

In the future, the Land Transport Department will also set an age requirement on those who apply for a big-bike driving license, Kamol said.

The Land Transport Department also plans to amend the traffic law to separate big-bike motorcycles from general motorcycles, the deputy director general added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373938

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-31

and for those that have owned and been riding a big bike for years in Thailand ?

not to mention that suddenly all big bike shops have now become professional training centres - you couldn't make this stuff up

Archived