Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

2 hours ago, bannork said:

I'm sorry, the whole thing was a shambles. People were told untruths, money for the EU would be directed to the NHS, renegotiating trade deals would be quick and easy- now it has been revealed  even a trade deal with the US would take a minimum of 3 years to come into effect. 

The public simply didn't know the consequences. 

Lay out the consequences of a no deal Brexit to the public and let the public vote again. A referendum built on falsehoods and lack of detail is a referendum only in name.

You are simply recycling the same argument over and over, and it is an argument that has been posted many times before; the paraphrasing varies from post to post, but the narrative is consistent, and that narrative is that you do not believe in, nor respect democracy, unless it produces the result that satisfies you personally. I have tried to explain to you that democracy doesn't work like that, but it has proven to be a futile attempt at edification, so I won't waste any more time on it. PEACE ????????✌️

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, nauseus said:

"nuff said", I think it was.

Indeed "nuff said" and "further words superfluous"

Incredible thinking back pre internet that the only information on the "scene" was one half page item weekly in the Bangkok Post later reduced to quarter page. That internet subsequently let the genie out of the bottle over Thailand and rest is history

48 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The more rabid remainers habitually assume stuff.

Sure. Of course it effects Brit's on pensions, and to be honest I feel a bit for them, but it always seems to be assumed that it's across the board. If it does effect me it is in a good way, eg if I go back for a trip I can withdraw cash from the atm in UK at great x-rates using my Thai accs, or if I buy something online overseas in gbp, eur or usd again using my Thai accs I get great rates. All good.

4 hours ago, tracy3eyes said:

One of the main reasons for the strong baht is the amount of currency speculation being done by Thailand and the large amount of USD Thailand is holding in reserves.

Currency speculation being done by Thailand. So are you are saying the Thai government is buying baht with its dollars in foreign  currency reserves ? Thereby causing the baht strength / appreciation. 

7 hours ago, bannork said:

People seem to get hot under the collar when I simply point out only 37% of UK adults voted to leave. Of course many a government has been formed by a party that didn't have a simple majority of votes, they simply formed coalitions.

But this is different, a referendum where over 40 years of trade agreements and laws will have to be rewritten, probably from scratch.

To justify this with only 37% of the voters saying yes is unacceptable in my book.

Why would this be different? Democratic rule of voting is the same regardless of what you are voting for.

You are not saying, the rule should be changed according to what you are voting for.

37% is still the majority when only 34% voted leave and 27% abstained. 

You never get 100% turnout even if it is made compulsory.

Many government got in by lesser than 70% turnout and with your way of thinking then they have no right to govern.

By you way of thinking 34% voted to remain have no right to remain either, and then what ?

The new rules were written 40 years ago. They did not have any problem doing them. Now with more advance technology, it will be easier. 

New trades, new deals, new laws happen all the time, with or without Brexit.

3 hours ago, Billy The Kid said:

Was going to retire and live in Thailand permanently , I changed my mind , going to stay on working in Ireland for another 4 years and see what happens with the currency. I won’t expect any improvement for a long time .  

Ahhh "to be sure" :))

A troll post and a reply has been removed.

Posts using ALL CAPS have been removed as well as the replies:

Forum Netiquette

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes, colors or use unusually large emoticons. It can be difficult to read.

As this topic is in the Thailand News forum, it is related to Thailand. 

23 hours ago, morrobay said:

Currency speculation being done by Thailand. So are you are saying the Thai government is buying baht with its dollars in foreign  currency reserves ? Thereby causing the baht strength / appreciation. 

Well they certainly could no question but they simply dont need to. The Bahts strength 30.72 this weekend is simply down to their treasury sat on $215 Billion of foreign reserves rising month after month combined with Thailand being seen as a safe haven financially (thats debatable I agree)

Now they could certainly weaken their currency by selling on international markets but its claimed they're concerned about being accused of currency manipulation by the USA

People wont like it but the all important Dollar/Baht rate that effects 1000% of all of us is at its current rate because it simply deserves to be

Some troll posts and replies have been removed. 

By the way, this topic is about the effects of Brexit on the value of the Thai Baht, from the OP:

Analysts said the fall came after more rhetoric from the British government, which is stepping up its plans in the event of a no deal Brexit. 

For Brits, the worse may yet be to come, particularly if the baht remains strong and a no deal Brexit proves unavoidable. 

On 7/30/2019 at 4:31 PM, john west said:

Well, yes partly but one still has to pay THB from this end to pay for flights and the very little amount I have full stop in Sterling and yes 1 pound would equal one pound, but probably buy a lot less.

I earn in THB so I get more pound for my money now a days when I do go home, flights are dearer from this end though but they average at 100k thb return usually with British Airways, but I can live pretty cheap for the month im usually in the UK.

18 minutes ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

I earn in THB so I get more pound for my money now a days when I do go home, flights are dearer from this end though but they average at 100k thb return usually with British Airways, but I can live pretty cheap for the month im usually in the UK.

Business class flight followed by a cheap month!

10 minutes ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Exactly that, when Im not stopping with family, I stop at Premier Inn etc rather than the higher end hotels, I can usually survive on £200 a day.

Hmmm. I suppose I could just about manage on that. At a pinch.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, PremiumLane said:

What you get when the nation (UK) gets hoodwinked and taken over by a bunch of right wing lunatics, who have no idea what they are doing and rely solely on hyperbole, bluster and outright bs

The question of the UK staying in an undemocratic expansionist EU governed by the Germans and French has been going on for 35+ years.

Quite how any left wing voter can actually even consider staying in what the EU has become defies logic. Have a look at what Tony Benn thought of the EEC/EU.

Wake up and look at what is going on.

Are the Australians blaming Brexit for the drop in the value of their currency?

Archived