Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

What absolute nonsense “Thailand is an industrial economy”  … how did you manage to make that up. Thailand is an agricultural economy, almost every consumer product you can buy here is either made in Japan / China / Korea etc, or like many of the Japanese cars, assembled here.

Thailand has practically no manufacturing industries, and you then expect the 60 odd million Thais that don’t live in Bangkok to move there for a job, when a large percentage are farm workers with limited education. The Thai economy is based on farming and tourism, to call it industrial is preposterous and shows a complete lack of knowledge about this country.

10th largest manufactures of vehicles in the world.  Large manufacturer of computer components especially hard drives.  Agriculture is only 8% of GDP.  Industry 35% you although typical are woefully uninformed.  

Untitled.png

10 hours ago, richiejom said:

How are expats with $ holding up over the last few years, have they seen many drastic ups and downs with their baht?

The Thais don't seem to be as active with Trump as Brexit in terms of currency valuation.  But those Thais sure did a number on the UK.

8 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I notice that (some) people that voted to remain in the European Federal State, are now wetting their pants and reaching for their teddy, because after three years of palavering and thinly disguised attempts to derail the process, the UK now has a Prime Minister with a steadfast resolve to deliver what the people of the UK voted for.

Democracy must be a nightmare when you disagree with either the results it gives, or indeed, the very principle of it; maybe best of five would be more up your Strasse.

Only 37% of UK adults voted to leave the EU so if you want to talk about democracy you have no right to demand to leave.

25 minutes ago, bannork said:

Only 37% of UK adults voted to leave the EU so if you want to talk about democracy you have no right to demand to leave.

Using your own rather sad and pathetic formula / spin on percentages, only 34% of the eligible electorate of the UK voted to remain in the EU; so tell me what right this minority has to overturn the majority result of a democratic referendum vote  …… nah, didn’t think you could.

P.S ........ and I'm not demanding to leave, just prepared to accept democracy, which you obviously are not (*∆°)

29 minutes ago, bannork said:

Clearly you are unfamiliar with the first past the post democratic voting system in the UK............ it has been around awhile  -  and, until the advent of remainers, such results have been respected.

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

Of course he has the right to demand to leave because what you said is not the whole story, is it?

On the same calculation ... Only 34% of UK adults voted to remain.

EU referendum result

National totals
Remain           Leave
16,141,241        17,410,742
Total electorate: 46,500,001
Turnout: 72.2%
Rejected ballots: 25,359

You should go by the majority of the UK, not of each town, city or constituency.

When you say your constituency voted to remain, that only means you only accept the democracy at constituency level because there are smaller number of people in your constituency voted to leave. If each of them wanted to stand for what they voted as some of the MPs are doing now, your constituency would be in a mess too.

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

and I'm not demanding to leave, just prepared to accept democracy, which you obviously are not (*∆°)

If you have Netflix than please watch ‘The Great Hack’. It will show you that this referendum was probably hacked, and had nothing to do with democracy.

3 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Using your own rather sad and pathetic formula / spin on percentages, only 34% of the eligible electorate of the UK voted to remain in the EU; so tell me what right this minority has to overturn the majority result of a democratic referendum vote  …… nah, didn’t think you could.

P.S ........ and I'm not demanding to leave, just prepared to accept democracy, which you obviously are not (*∆°)

The majority of the adult UK population did not vote to leave the EU, only 37% did. That is a fact.

4 hours ago, bannork said:

The majority of the adult UK population did not vote to leave the EU, only 37% did. That is a fact.

37% voted to leave

34% voted to remain

72.2 % turnout

The rest did not bother to vote either way.

So only 34% voted to remain

The majority of the UK population did not vote to remain. That is a fact.

EU referendum result

National totals
Remain           Leave
16,141,241        17,410,742

1 hour ago, Perhaps2more said:

37% voted to leave

34% voted to remain

72.2 % turnout

The rest did not bother to vote either way.

So only 34% voted to remain

The majority of the UK population did not vote to remain. That is a fact.

EU referendum result

National totals
Remain           Leave
16,141,241        17,410,742

But we are in the EU now, so those 27.8% who did not cast a vote, did not vote to leave. Brexiteers cannot claim the majority of adult UK citizens voted to leave, they didn't, only 37% did.

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

But we are in the EU now, so those 27.8% who did not cast a vote, did not vote to leave. Brexiteers cannot claim the majority of adult UK citizens voted to leave, they didn't, only 37% did.

How about if I claim only 34% voted to stay?

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How about if I claim only 34% voted to stay?

You can, but by disregarding the 27.8% who didn't vote, you must also say only 37% of the electorate voted to leave.

That is not a majority of adult UK citizens.

Just now, bannork said:

You can, but by disregarding the 27.8% who didn't vote, you must also say only 37% of the electorate voted to leave.

That is not a majority of adult UK citizens.

I'll just add you to ignore, it's a pointless circular argument.

Where you claim those who didn't vote would always have voted your way.

I didn't vote.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't vote.

Yep.... I know a dozen people over here who didn't/couldn't vote who all would have voted leave...... as you say, a circular - and pointless - debate only continued by a losing side.

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

What are you talking about? People who did not vote, did not care either way, which is the same in any voting system.

Being in the EU already doesn't mean anything. The referendum was asking a question, not choosing either answer, can not be counted toward anything.

Are you trying to say in an election, people who do not vote, must be counted as supporting the ruling party at the time because they are in that government already?

3 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Are you trying to say in an election, people who do not vote, must be counted as supporting the ruling party at the time because they are in that government already?

That's a good idea, in all future votes not voting counts as a vote for 'no change'.

Same in parliament and council elections.

2 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

What are you talking about? People who did not vote, did not care either way, which is the same in any voting system.

Being in the EU already doesn't mean anything. The referendum was asking a question, not choosing either answer, can not be counted toward anything.

I'm saying a referendum where only 37% of the electorate voted to leave should be ignored. 

6 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

He's obviously from the Prayut school of election counting. 

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I'm saying a referendum where only 37% of the electorate voted to leave should be ignored. 

You've been in Thailand too long, listening to the dross from the Junta.

The rules can't be changed after............unless you are Prayut of course

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I didn't vote.

I'm not claiming they would have all voted to remain, of course not. I'm simply pointing out only a minority of the UK voters chose the leave option. 

There is no desire by a majority of UK voters to leave the EU.

5 minutes ago, thirdleg said:

He's obviously from the Prayut school of election counting. 

Now there's an idea. Once we've left and the pound has sunk to 20 baht to the pound we could have a coup, appointing Lung Tu as chief UK junta advisor.

5 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

GE or ultimate referendum.
No one can lead a so much divided country.

Then back to square one again. So long as many MPs think democracy is about defending their own idea, it'll end by UK gets kicked out by the EU like an annoying dog. 

It is not only about what the UK parliament wants. They voted to accept the referendum. They voted to trigger the article 50. Since then they've been working against each other like a group of idiots. 

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's all history anyway. There will soon have to be a Brexit General Election which will decide it once and for all. A Labour/Lib Dem/SNP/Green coalition will save the country and the pound.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Tend to agree that another election is the only realistically foreseeable solution, once Boris's blagging the possibility of a new deal is shown up for what it is - a valiant attempt to persuade the EU mandarins we will leave without a deal to apply pressure for more concessions, which the EU mandarins will not believe, as a no-deal proposal will be shot down in Parliament.

It won't be party alliances that determine the outcome though - Labour is the big element in the above proffered coalition, but their supporters are as divided as the Tories. Voting by individuals along non-party lines will be the crucial factor and if the young show up I suspect there would be a strong remain vote.

Archived