Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

The only thing interests me is, how many baht do i receive from my UK pension transfer, and you do not need a doctorate in finance to see it is going down, but of course if you are in a position to convert a chunk into sterling and sit on it a bit you could make a nice little turn, anybody brave enough ? 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bannork said:

I'm saying a referendum where only 37% of the electorate voted to leave should be ignored. 

How many elections in the past happened in the same way? You will have to ignore many of the past governments.

1997 United Kingdom general election.

The election saw a 10.0% swing from Conservative to Labour on a national turnout of 71%, and would be the last national vote where turnout exceeded 70% until the 2016 EU referendum nineteen years later.

55 minutes ago, bannork said:

But we are in the EU now, so those 27.8% who did not cast a vote, did not vote to leave. Brexiteers cannot claim the majority of adult UK citizens voted to leave, they didn't, only 37% did.

What a ridiculous comment; that's like asking a bookmaker if you can place a bet on the winner after the race has finished, because that is the horse that you would have backed, but you couldn't be bothered to. Do you just sit there making up this kind of nonsense ?

11 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

What a ridiculous comment; that's like asking a bookmaker if you can place a bet on the winner after the race has finished, because that is the horse that you would have backed, but you couldn't be bothered to. Do you just sit there making up this kind of nonsense ?

People seem to get hot under the collar when I simply point out only 37% of UK adults voted to leave. Of course many a government has been formed by a party that didn't have a simple majority of votes, they simply formed coalitions.

But this is different, a referendum where over 40 years of trade agreements and laws will have to be rewritten, probably from scratch.

To justify this with only 37% of the voters saying yes is unacceptable in my book.

41 minutes ago, thirdleg said:

You've been in Thailand too long, listening to the dross from the Junta.

The rules can't be changed after............unless you are Prayut of course

One can never be in Thailand too long, unless a civil war breaks out!

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

People seem to get hot under the collar when I simply point out only 37% of UK adults voted to leave. Of course many a government has been formed by a party that didn't have a simple majority of votes, they simply formed coalitions.

But this is different, a referendum where over 40 years of trade agreements and laws will have to be rewritten, probably from scratch.

To justify this with only 37% of the voters saying yes is unacceptable in my book.

You just seem completely unable to grasp how the democratic system of the UK works. The 17.4 million votes to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum was the largest mandate for anything in British political history.

No single electoral option has received more votes in UK history than the vote to leave the EU: 33,551,983 people cast a vote in the referendum—which was 72% of all people registered, and consequently eligible to vote; and before you say it was only advisory, Parliament then voted overwhelmingly to implement the result, and both main political parties subsequently campaigned in the next general election with manifestos to implement the result.

That's how democracy works in the UK, and it cannot be dismantled just because you disapprove of the referendum vote to leave the EU.

7 hours ago, dimitriv said:

If you have Netflix than please watch ‘The Great Hack’. It will show you that this referendum was probably hacked, and had nothing to do with democracy.

Yes, and Neil Armstrong didn't really land on the moon, and Lord Lucan is living in Tibet, cunningly disguised as a milking goat.

Glad to see that the conspiracy theorists are still chasing shadows

26 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Yes, and Neil Armstrong didn't really land on the moon, and Lord Lucan is living in Tibet, cunningly disguised as a milking goat.

Glad to see that the conspiracy theorists are still chasing shadows

Conspiracy theorists ? Your vision is so limited same a child believe Santa Claus

23 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The Australian dollar finally cracked 20 today and the Euro cracked 33 today ...The Pound is just a quarter point away from cracking 36....

Let's go back to your original premise, Kid.

In the context of when a currency is falling against the Baht, and you say "The Australian dollar finally cracked 20 today", it means it went under 20. Understand? It hasn't "cracked 20" in the last 10 years.

If you want to debate on TV, first, understand your argument, have good data to support your point and best not to provide data to support your opponent.

You failed, kid, and continually posting the same chart that shows you are wrong just makes you dumber, not smarter.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:42 AM, marcusarelus said:

The pound has been going down against all currencies since Brexit vote and the baht is one of those currencies.  Nothing to do with Thailand it's due to UK fiscal mismanagement.  

One of the main reasons for the strong baht is the amount of currency speculation being done by Thailand and the large amount of USD Thailand is holding in reserves.

2 minutes ago, DLock said:

Let's go back to your original premise, Kid.

In the context of when a currency is falling against the Baht, and you say "The Australian dollar finally cracked 20 today", it means it went under 20. Understand? It hasn't "cracked 20" in the last 10 years.

If you want to debate on TV, first, understand your argument, have good data to support your point and best not to provide data to support your opponent.

You failed, kid, and continually posting the same chart that shows you are wrong just makes you dumber, not smarter.

Bye...

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Tend to agree that another election is the only realistically foreseeable solution, once Boris's blagging the possibility of a new deal is shown up for what it is - a valiant attempt to persuade the EU mandarins we will leave without a deal to apply pressure for more concessions, which the EU mandarins will not believe, as a no-deal proposal will be shot down in Parliament.

It won't be party alliances that determine the outcome though - Labour is the big element in the above proffered coalition, but their supporters are as divided as the Tories. Voting by individuals along non-party lines will be the crucial factor and if the young show up I suspect there would be a strong remain vote.

I see it somewhat differently (and as someone who said we would vote leave way back in Jan 2016 when the polls said it will be Remain - I have a thread on another site to prove this) in that if Boris calls a GE he will do so to get a mandate (even if via a coalition). And many Labour voters who voted leave will switch to Boris or NF (I know a few who have told me already) and between them they could quite possibly secure enough seats to form a government. Many traditional voters in sufficient numbers will stick with the Tory party. And one thing is clear and that is Boris does well in elections and attracts support from all corners.

1 hour ago, tracy3eyes said:

One of the main reasons for the strong baht is the amount of currency speculation being done by Thailand and the large amount of USD Thailand is holding in reserves.

Can you please show me how this works?  Holding a large amount of USD means that the central bank is purchasing USD and selling THB.  This would increase the value of the USD to THB.  If the central bank then decided to sell some of its large amount of USD it would be purchasing THB and selling USD.  This would increase the value of the THB to USD.

Just now, Angry Dragon said:

Can you please show me how this works?  Holding a large amount of USD means that the central bank is purchasing USD and selling THB.  This would increase the value of the USD to THB.  If the central bank then decided to sell some of its large amount of USD it would be purchasing THB and selling USD.  This would increase the value of the THB to USD.

You lost me

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

I'm sorry, the whole thing was a shambles. People were told untruths, money for the EU would be directed to the NHS, renegotiating trade deals would be quick and easy- now it has been revealed  even a trade deal with the US would take a minimum of 3 years to come into effect. 

The public simply didn't know the consequences. 

Lay out the consequences of a no deal Brexit to the public and let the public vote again. A referendum built on falsehoods and lack of detail is a referendum only in name.

Money for the EU  COULD be directed to the NHS.  The principle being that we have full control over our finances.

You weren't stupid enough to think the full EU contribution would go to the NHS were you ?   ????????????????????

1 hour ago, tracy3eyes said:

I see it somewhat differently (and as someone who said we would vote leave way back in Jan 2016 when the polls said it will be Remain - I have a thread on another site to prove this) in that if Boris calls a GE he will do so to get a mandate (even if via a coalition). And many Labour voters who voted leave will switch to Boris or NF (I know a few who have told me already) and between them they could quite possibly secure enough seats to form a government. Many traditional voters in sufficient numbers will stick with the Tory party. And one thing is clear and that is Boris does well in elections and attracts support from all corners.

Boris didn't do so well yesterday, he's just lost another seat. Down to a majority of one.

3 hours ago, bannork said:

I'm saying a referendum where only 37% of the electorate voted to leave should be ignored. 

Using your idea of including the number that didn't vote, in the original 1975 referendum results, of the 40 million people eligible to vote only 17 million voted to stay in while 22,5 million votes not to stay in, a massive majority. According to you we should have left in 1975.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

People were told untruths...

All political parties in all countries lie, saying whatever they think the people want to hear at that particular moment. 'Truth' is just an abstract concept to be used if it is more effective at any particular moment.

37.18 at Yellow TT exchanges in Pattaya this lunchtime who tend to be at the high end of rates available

Just savage or as Bernard Trink would have said "further words superfluous"

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Why do laws have to be rewritten? The referendum vote was not decided by trade agreements. Your book is missing several pages, particularly the last chapter. 

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

37.18 at Yellow TT exchanges in Pattaya this lunchtime who tend to be at the high end of rates available

Just savage or as Bernard Trink would have said "further words superfluous"

"nuff said", I think it was.

11 minutes ago, Billy The Kid said:

Was going to retire and live in Thailand permanently , I changed my mind , going to stay on working in Ireland for another 4 years and see what happens with the currency. I won’t expect any improvement for a long time .  

Good idea if you have that option. Proper Guinness too.

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

Using your idea of including the number that didn't vote, in the original 1975 referendum results, of the 40 million people eligible to vote only 17 million voted to stay in while 22,5 million votes not to stay in, a massive majority. According to you we should have left in 1975.

Indeed we should have. ????

5 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

Why is it always assumed that Brit expats have money coming in from the UK, or the weak pound effects them in some way? I've been here 18 years and the state of the pound good or bad makes no difference to me at all.

The more rabid remainers habitually assume stuff.

Archived