Thai tourist held in Japan over highway accident

webfact

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The page said the process in such cases usually takes around 23 days – from investigation until an indictment decision is made – hence the man’s family had to wait and see what happens. 

The family was undoubtedly nonplussed that he wasn't simply asked to pay a 500 baht fine and sent on his merry way.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, realfunster said:

Part of Japan’s tourism growing pains.

They have been pushing themselves as a tourist destination with a huge increase in numbers of tourists in recent years and relaxation of visa rules - hence the large numbers of Thais going there over the last decade.

Read some of the comments with amusement, reminded me of my colleagues who went to Europe with my words of warning ringing in their ears, their 10 day road trip had no accidents but around Euro 500 in traffic violation fines, when they returned their hire car.

This may be the sort of incident that triggers a re-think from Japanese authorities on what driving licenses they consider valid to rent a car...personally, I wouldn’t want to rent one to a Thai holidaying overseas, having seen the general driving standard in country. 

Even Thai's dont want to rent to Thai's

From my little experience of Japanese drivers this sort of recklessness is rare in Nippon, happy but is rare as the cultural nuances are very different regarding social responsibility and obedience to social rules and laws.

When I was living in Japan I was able to show my British driving licence and collect a full Japanese licence by filling in a few forms. For a Thai however, the process was far more rigorous and involved both a theory and practical test, as was the case for other Asian nationalities. British and American licences were okay for a same-day application and issue. Road accidents tended to make the national news, with close-ups of the damage, animated reconstructions and shots of the participants entering and leaving the police station. Even knocking down a bollard in the high street would be on the telly!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ctkong said:

During my trip to japan, I thought of renting a car for touring but my Japanese friend advised against it citing horrendous payout to the accident victims if it is your fault and also jail time. Japan’s punishment for vehicular accident is very much different from Thailand’s.

I lived and drove/rode in Japan for many years and as long as you are reasonably careful it is no more dangerous than the UK and if you can drive safely in Thailand you should be OK as long as you never break the law.

The difference is that the traffic laws are virtually always enforced and penalties for drink driving apply to all the licence holders in a car (and the owner of the car even if they are not in it) if the driver is over the very low limit of 20mg per ml or ¼ of the UK.

The maximum penalty starts at 3 years in jail and or ¥500,000 fine that increases to 8 years in jail and or ¥1,000,000 fine if over 80mg per ml or if the police officer considers you to be intoxicated.

So never drive after drinking specially not the next morning.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I lived and drove/rode in Japan for many years and as long as you are reasonably careful it is no more dangerous than the UK and if you can drive safely in Thailand you should be OK as long as you never break the law.

The difference is that the traffic laws are virtually always enforced and penalties for drink driving apply to all the licence holders in a car (and the owner of the car even if they are not in it) if the driver is over the very low limit of 20mg per ml or ¼ of the UK.

The maximum penalty starts at 3 years in jail and or ¥500,000 fine that increases to 8 years in jail and or ¥1,000,000 fine if over 80mg per ml or if the police officer considers you to be intoxicated.

So never drive after drinking specially not the next morning.

Even riding a bicycle drunk is a no-no. The penalty is up to five years in jail and a million yen fine. "Leaving the car at home and cycling to the pub, seemed like the right thing to do, Officer!"

3 hours ago, Vietem said:

Even riding a bicycle drunk is a no-no. The penalty is up to five years in jail and a million yen fine. "Leaving the car at home and cycling to the pub, seemed like the right thing to do, Officer!"

Whilst that is the law I never heard of any case of it being enforced so rather doubt that it ever is, unless there is some other incident involved.

If you confess that yes you are drunk and apologise profusely and walk your bicycle you will be given a talking to a let go on your way, denying it getting belligerent and arguing could provide you with police accommodation for some time. Prosecuton will only happen if you force the police into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Whilst that is the law I never heard of any case of it being enforced so rather doubt that it ever is, unless there is some other incident involved.

If you confess that yes you are drunk and apologise profusely and walk your bicycle you will be given a talking to a let go on your way, denying it getting belligerent and arguing could provide you with police accommodation for some time. Prosecuton will only happen if you force the police into it.

Agree. It is also against the law to ride a bicycle whilst holding an umbrella. And also against the law to cycle on most pavements. But, as you know, these are standard daily occurrences.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:01 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

You are PROBABLY correct, but not necessarily.

The police in too many countries have a broad range of powers and too often overstep even that proscribed range at their discretion.

So in a practical sense disagreeing with an officer on even the smallest matter can yield unpredictable results.

Let the Citizen Beware!

Challenging Authority can be hazardous to your health and Liberty.

This is the state of affairs that a sleepwalking citizenry had brought us to.

25 minutes ago, RocketDog said:
On 7/31/2019 at 12:01 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

You are PROBABLY correct, but not necessarily.

I am talking from the point of view of many years of living in Japan so while I certainly don't know of every case I know quite a few  people who had encounters with the Japanese police, your characterisation 

31 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

So in a practical sense disagreeing with an officer on even the smallest matter can yield unpredictable results.

Let the Citizen Beware!

Challenging Authority can be hazardous to your health and Liberty.

Is certainly true in the U.S.A. But never to my knowledge in Japan

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I am talking from the point of view of many years of living in Japan so while I certainly don't know of every case I know quite a few  people who had encounters with the Japanese police, your characterisation 

Is certainly true in the U.S.A. But never to my knowledge in Japan

So you would say that I'm not necessarily correct, which is what I said about your statements.

There are undoubtedly officers in America, and all countries (including Thailand), who are principled individuals who would act similarly to their Japanese counterparts. That's exactly why I took care to qualify my original reply.

The salient point is that the police have a large range of discretionary power and some abuse it. That, I believe, is indisputable.

So we agree 100%.????

I will admit that I somewhat hijacked your comments to beat one of my favorite drums: growing abuse of power by authority figures in all walks of life.

For that I apologize. Your insights from personal experience are welcome.

I cherish the notion that people will wake up and demand change before change can only be achieved by violent revolt. Perhaps that ship has already sailed.