"Tourist Police Volunteers" set to make Thailand even better hosts!

webfact

"Tourist Police Volunteers" set to make Thailand even better hosts!

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

The top brass at the tourist police hope that a project to boost the ranks with volunteers will make Thailand an even more friendly destination for visitors. 

Some 108 volunteer hopefuls attended a seminar chaired by TPB bigwig Pol Maj-Gen Worapong Thongphaiboon at the Rattanakosin Hotel. 

The volunteers will swell the ranks of the 2,000 tourist police in Thailand. Maj-Gen Worapong said that his men can't be everywhere and the volunteers will help with boosting confidence in the police by helping tourists in trouble and being good hosts. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

They will be trained in the law, traffic matters, first aid, providing information like phone numbers to tourists and looking out for areas where tourists might be taken advantage of. 

They will also be trained in English and Chinese. 

Thaivisa notes this might be handy - twice in the Naew Na story the project was referred to as "Tourist Police Voluneer". 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-31

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Do they not get that tourist feel intimidated by all these uniforms here, jeeeez.

If i sit on the beach i don't want to see people in brown uniforms, that's actually the last thing i want to see there...

Yeh snooping and asking to see your passport while you are trying to relax on the beach. 

How inviting!!

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

They will be trained in the law, traffic matters, first aid, providing information like phone numbers to tourists and looking out for areas where tourists might be taken advantage of. 

Providing information about TM30?

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

They will also be trained in English and Chinese. 

???? On a second note I agree with ThomasTHBKK. Last thing I want to see are more uniforms lurking around, especially volunteers who will act like they are the thing.

52 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Do they not get that tourist feel intimidated by all these uniforms here, jeeeez.

If i sit on the beach i don't want to see people in brown uniforms, that's actually the last thing i want to see there...

No, they will be wearing extremely tight red short pants, just the way you like it.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Anyone that actually wants to become a police volunteer are usually the worst people to become police volunteers (all respect to the Thai immigration volunteers, though).

With the foreign volunteers, there are some bad apples for sure, (as there are with Thai volunteers).  But IMHO, most of them are simply trying to help in an honest manner.  You often don't hear of the good work that they and the Thai volunteers do.

I once got asked for my passport in Sukhumvit years ago. He said he was tourist police. No uniform nor ID. He said passport, I said ID. After the third time of me saying ID and him not producing it, I walked off and he gave up. 

The omnipresence of men in uniforms doesn't make people feel relaxed. It makes me feel there's something not right. Believe it or not, some tourists just want to be left alone to get on with their holiday. If they need help, just make sure it's easily accessible. 

Completely off topic, but I still fondly remember the 'good, old days' when Thai policemen were friendly towards tourists and would approach just for a chat!

Unfortunately (but for good reasons) tourist police volunteers have a very bad reputation.  Of course there are a few that apply for the right reasons.  I seem to recall that Simon43 was one of these.

1 hour ago, lipflipper said:

My simple solution when approached for no apparent reason is to smile and start speaking Spanish to the Officer. That ends the ordeal as for sure none of these clowns can reply to me.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I do exactly that too. It’s my mother tongue.

They often let me go but some of them grunt and raise their voice and yell a word louder in their terrible English as if louder will make me understand.

It’s a bit like if you were to teach a mentally retarded jungle gorilla to speak a few words of English.

30 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

They will also be trained in English and Chinese. ????????

In a weekend seminar////

They will learn complicated words like:

YOU!

Sta-op

pay now

this Thai-laaaaaan

show lice-en

no good

You pay 

up to me 

i big peepen 

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Well sitting on the beach it would be difficult to determine the differance between the brown turds in the sea and the brown turds on the beach then.

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Why do people want to work for free for the biggest organized crime organization in Thailand?

Sometimes when tourists asked me what was my job as a volunteer, I would reply that it was to protect them from the Thai police ????

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Why do people want to work for free for the biggest organized crime organization in Thailand?

Because there is likely a good chance you can get a little of that bogus fine money to keep for yourself.

I was stopped few times by western volunteer cops while on bike. Asked driving licence. After 10th time i told them no DL unless u show me police ID. Got angry said we will go to police station which I said again after I see ur police badge. Then called his mate thai cop. Showed DL and off my way. Illegal that was. 

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They already have volunteer Tourist Police,which from past record

seemed more intent on ripping tourists off,instead of helping them.

regards Worgeordie

The first thing they learn is "cash is king" and on the spot fines.

Tourist police in Thailand are hired under the false veneer of safeguarding tourists whilst on holiday, when in fact the truth is that these dogs bodies love nothing more than slapping the cuffs on any and all foreigners that even remotely step out of line. They are an extension of the RTP with slightly better language skills and swankier uniforms. They are hired to WATCH us, not to help. Even if someone attempted to kill me in broad daylight they would be the last people I would ever call.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The volunteers will swell the ranks of the 2,000 tourist police in Thailand. Maj-Gen Worapong said that his men can't be everywhere and the volunteers will help with boosting confidence in the police by helping tourists in trouble and being good hosts. 

I remember how the last tourist police boss dealt with tourists he went on to become head of immigration & we all know what he did in his short term in charge...

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

Even if someone attempted to kill me in broad daylight they would be the last people I would ever call.

I'll pass the message onto them so they don't waste their time with you ... ????

Archived