"Tourist Police Volunteers" set to make Thailand even better hosts!

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Why do people want to work for free for the biggest organized crime organization in Thailand?

Silly question , so that they can brag everywhere how they have connections and can “assist” for a small fee

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They already have volunteer Tourist Police,which from past record

seemed more intent on ripping tourists off,instead of helping them.

regards Worgeordie

Indeed, if their past track record is any prediction of the future, the folks who gravitate toward this often are those who have ego/power trip complexes and get off on ordering others around and strutting around in uniforms with batons and such... And instead of actually helping tourists, usually end up using their positions to get involved in any variety of unsavory dealings.

It would actually be a good thing if Thailand could have a legitimate tourist police volunteers force (and I think it does exist in some areas) where good hearted folks mainly assist with translating and interfacing -- not out patrolling and enforcing.

But the problem here, I suspect, essentially comes down to the basic issue of how does a straight-up expat end up trying to do good honest service when they're working for the local version of Don Corleone and Co.....

Just how much authority do these Farang Tourist Cops have? In Phuket one threatend to give me parking ticket can they do that? It was some old english guy flashing his badge around like Kojak but didnt give time to look at it. Think he was angry cuz i was parked in front of his bar didnt see any no parking signs.

Just how much authority do these Farang Tourist Cops have? In Phuket one threatend to give me parking ticket can they do that? It was some old english guy flashing his badge around like Kojak but didnt give time to look at it. Think he was angry cuz i was parked in front of his bar didnt see any no parking signs.
I have no idea but everytime they asked me for my passport i told them no andnthey buggered off.

Definitely less than real cops, parking tickets in a real country aren't police work at all... But who knows here...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I have no idea but everytime they asked me for my passport i told them no andnthey buggered off.

Definitely less than real cops, parking tickets in a real country aren't police work at all... But who knows here...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

By law if i can say that, volunteers have no authority what so ever, unless under supervision and instructions and presence of actual police officers.

They can ask to see your passport or whatever else, ONLY if they have been instructed by police officer to do so and ONLY if police officer is also present at the time, does not have to be next to them, but present at the scene.

From my experience, tourist police volunteers are blow hards with nothing but empty gas tanks.

Volunteers in police station are very different, not only most of them can speak some basic English, but actually are pretty helpful and do have a pull with Thai police officers, but again they can only act under police supervision.

The ones from police station, do not go out on patrols, they only assist in police station

By law if i can say that, volunteers have no authority what so ever, unless under supervision and instructions and presence of actual police officers.

They can ask to see your passport or whatever else, ONLY if they have been instructed by police officer to do so and ONLY if police officer is also present at the time, does not have to be next to them, but present at the scene.

From my experience, tourist police volunteers are blow hards with nothing but empty gas tanks.

Volunteers in police station are very different, not only most of them can speak some basic English, but actually are pretty helpful and do have a pull with Thai police officers, but again they can only act under police supervision.

The ones from police station, do not go out on patrols, they only assist in police station

Good to know next time I'll let them know where they should stick there plastic badge.

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

With the foreign volunteers, there are some bad apples for sure, (as there are with Thai volunteers).  But IMHO, most of them are simply trying to help in an honest manner.  You often don't hear of the good work that they and the Thai volunteers do.

From first hand experience, you are correct. 

On 7/31/2019 at 11:44 AM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Anyone that actually wants to become a police volunteer are usually the worst people to become police volunteers (all respect to the Thai immigration volunteers, though).

there are 30 Foreign National Tourist Police Volunteers in Phuket of which I am one of them. Each one of us were either Ex Law Enforcment Officers in our  respective Countries, or Ex Military service personnel, Each volunteer member had to go through a selection process and Criminal background check, as well as Complete a full year of training before being issued a Tourist police Volunteer national ID.

Tourist Police Volunteer do not ask tourists to inspect their passports on the beaches, I personally have never see one of my colleagues ask a tourist for their passport on the beach.

We are guided by our motto "Your First Friend" and that is exactly what we are, we are sometimes not just your "First" friend my in most cases your ONLY friend. however we are part of the Law enforcement community, and if tourist break the law, then there will obviously be consequences.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:29 PM, monkfish said:

On their own and without supervision, Tourist Police Volunteers do not have any Power, They Can Observe and warn as well as report to Local Police, but can not Arrest or Fine someone,. but dont let that Mislead you. A Tourist Police Volunteer must be accompanied by a Warranted Justice of the Peace, and when accompanied by a warranted official, they then can exercise full authority through permission of the accompanying official, which includes Fines and arrests.

That means a Police Officer from either, The Royal Thai Police, Tourist Police, marine Police, Immigration Police, Customs and Excise, Territorial Defense Force, and Where Appropriate The Security Division of the Airports Authority of Thailand.

Tourist Police Volunteers who are Manning Checkpoints Carry the Authority from the Supervising Officer in charge of that checkpoint and can Stop any vehicle for Search, ask for a drivers Licence, as well as Check for alcohol consumption. In this instance they have the Authority to hold ans detain a driver for further investigation.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, Cake Monster said:

And all of these Volunteers will be fully trained in the use of a Baseball Bat.

Lesson 1. Learn to recognise a 2 year old child on a Motorcycle with its Parents, before engaging in needless violence.

Why are you driving o a motorcycle with a 2 year old child in the first place?

On 7/31/2019 at 5:56 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Indeed, if their past track record is any prediction of the future, the folks who gravitate toward this often are those who have ego/power trip complexes and get off on ordering others around and strutting around in uniforms with batons and such... And instead of actually helping tourists, usually end up using their positions to get involved in any variety of unsavory dealings.

It would actually be a good thing if Thailand could have a legitimate tourist police volunteers force (and I think it does exist in some areas) where good hearted folks mainly assist with translating and interfacing -- not out patrolling and enforcing.

But the problem here, I suspect, essentially comes down to the basic issue of how does a straight-up expat end up trying to do good honest service when they're working for the local version of Don Corleone and Co.....

My Team has never gotten involved in Unsavory Dealings, In the past 8 Months My team and I have helped over 20 Stranded Tourists Get home to their Countries Safely, Assisted with numerous Traffic accident "Shakedowns" where locals unfairly demand financial renumeration for a traffic accident. Assisted numerous Tourists in Court who Were Caught on Overstay, and Appealed on their behalf to be fined and Deported instead of Incarcerated.

These are the Cases you dont hear about because they are boring and dont have that "Sensational" ending people want.

2 minutes ago, monkfish said:

One threatened to give me a parking ticket and he was defiantly alone.

You can actually report that Person to The Tourist police through their Hotline 1155. Next time it happens Get the person's Name, or ask to see his "Official" Volunteer TP Id, so that you can get his Poice Number also.

On their own and without supervision, Tourist Police Volunteers do not have any Power, They Can Observe and warn as well as report to Local Police, but can not Arrest or Fine someone,. but dont let that Mislead you. A Tourist Police Volunteer must be accompanied by a Warranted Justice of the Peace, and when accompanied by a warranted official, they then can exercise full authority through permission of the accompanying official, which includes Fines and arrests.

That means a Police Officer from either, The Royal Thai Police, Tourist Police, marine Police, Immigration Police, Customs and Excise, Territorial Defense Force, and Where Appropriate The Security Division of the Airports Authority of Thailand.

Tourist Police Volunteers who are Manning Checkpoints Carry the Authority from the Supervising Officer in charge of that checkpoint and can Stop any vehicle for Search, ask for a drivers Licence, as well as Check for alcohol consumption. In this instance they have the Authority to hold ans detain a driver for further investigation.

Well one defiantly threatened to give me one and he was alone but backed off when he saw my Thai wife. That was in Phuket.

You can actually report that Person to The Tourist police through their Hotline 1155. Next time it happens Get the person's Name, or ask to see his "Official" Volunteer TP Id, so that you can get his Poice Number also.

Ok i certainly will he flashed his id very quick didnt have chance to see his name or number.

17 minutes ago, JoePolice said:

My Team has never gotten involved in Unsavory Dealings, In the past 8 Months My team and I have helped over 20 Stranded Tourists Get home to their Countries Safely, Assisted with numerous Traffic accident "Shakedowns" where locals unfairly demand financial renumeration for a traffic accident. Assisted numerous Tourists in Court who Were Caught on Overstay, and Appealed on their behalf to be fined and Deported instead of Incarcerated.

These are the Cases you dont hear about because they are boring and dont have that "Sensational" ending people want.

Your team??

What rank are you?

All ex-law enforcement? Kinda proves my original point......

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Your team??

What rank are you?

All ex-law enforcement? Kinda proves my original point......

I dont Carry rank I am a Volunteer, and "My Team" are the 12 members of the Thai Tourist Police and 6 Foreign Volunteers that patrol and operate in My district.

Just to also iterate that every Single Volunteer does this with No Salary or no Financial remuneration, I speak for myself and Many Colleagues in saying that we Volunteer because we Want to give something back to the Community and keep the riff-raff from spoiling this wonderful place for everyone else.

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Hi Joe, can you please tell me what police equipment you carry with you when on patrol?

We are allowed Only a set of Handcuffs and if they have completed the Certification a Police radio. Volunteers may not Carry Any Weapons or Irritants such as Pepper Spray .tear gas even Police battons and asps are not allowed.

1 hour ago, JoePolice said:

We are allowed Only a set of Handcuffs and if they have completed the Certification a Police radio. Volunteers may not Carry Any Weapons or Irritants such as Pepper Spray .tear gas even Police battons and asps are not allowed.

That's good to know.  To give my opinion on the TPVS (before this thread is locked because that always happens with threads about the TPVs!):

I worked as a TPV at Lumpini Police station around 2006, while I was studying my Thai MA at Chula.  I worked only in the station as a translator.

Then I worked for about 8 years as a TPV in Phuket, mostly stationed at the airport where I lived, but also working in Bangla Road at the weekends.

I also did a year in Pattaya as a Thai translator at the police station.

When I worked in Phuket, I had to carry a retractable baton, taser, handcuffs and pepper spray.  I never liked carrying such items and usually patrolled only with a pair of handcuffs, which I never had to use in 8 years.  I was the only foreinger allowed to carry a walkie-talkie, (because I had a Thai radio ham licence).

I always declined to take part in traffic stops etc, because it was my opinion, (and I still hold that opinion), that these volunteers should not involve themselves in actual police work, but should only be used to assist foreign tourists with information, help in case of accidents, arrest etc.

I know that my opinions were not shared by my Thai bosses, and so I gradually grew 'apart' from them.  I continued my work at the airport helping tourists, but had little contact with the Thai police in Phuket.  Most of my contact was with the various embassies, who would contact me directly to assist their citizens.

Looking back on some notable events, none of them involved 'policing'.  I maintained the TPV website, I designed the large map of Bangla road that was installed at the lower end of the road etc.

I know that different groups of TPVs in different cities in Thailand have different policies, and the 'lure' of a police ID can attract those with the wrong motives.

I wonder how many TPVs would continue their work if they were placed under the authority of the Tourism Department and renamed 'Tourist Volunteers'.

I can’t wait until there’s a bunch of English, Chinese, and Indian wanna-be police running around trying to extort anyone and everyone, just stroking the short shaft of Thailand in hopes of staying in the country. 

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

That's good to know.  To give my opinion on the TPVS (before this thread is locked because that always happens with threads about the TPVs!):

I worked as a TPV at Lumpini Police station around 2006, while I was studying my Thai MA at Chula.  I worked only in the station as a translator.

Then I worked for about 8 years as a TPV in Phuket, mostly stationed at the airport where I lived, but also working in Bangla Road at the weekends.

I also did a year in Pattaya as a Thai translator at the police station.

When I worked in Phuket, I had to carry a retractable baton, taser, handcuffs and pepper spray.  I never liked carrying such items and usually patrolled only with a pair of handcuffs, which I never had to use in 8 years.  I was the only foreinger allowed to carry a walkie-talkie, (because I had a Thai radio ham licence).

I always declined to take part in traffic stops etc, because it was my opinion, (and I still hold that opinion), that these volunteers should not involve themselves in actual police work, but should only be used to assist foreign tourists with information, help in case of accidents, arrest etc.

I know that my opinions were not shared by my Thai bosses, and so I gradually grew 'apart' from them.  I continued my work at the airport helping tourists, but had little contact with the Thai police in Phuket.  Most of my contact was with the various embassies, who would contact me directly to assist their citizens.

Looking back on some notable events, none of them involved 'policing'.  I maintained the TPV website, I designed the large map of Bangla road that was installed at the lower end of the road etc.

I know that different groups of TPVs in different cities in Thailand have different policies, and the 'lure' of a police ID can attract those with the wrong motives.

I wonder how many TPVs would continue their work if they were placed under the authority of the Tourism Department and renamed 'Tourist Volunteers'.

I need to private message you. If you dont mind.

Archived