"Tourist Police Volunteers" set to make Thailand even better hosts!

webfact

4 hours ago, lust said:

I can’t wait until there’s a bunch of English, Chinese, and Indian wanna-be police running around trying to extort anyone and everyone, just stroking the short shaft of Thailand in hopes of staying in the country. 

There already is. And every one of them I know and are friends of mine. And they are all proffesional on duty.  And your  worst nigtmare if yo break the law because they all have their national volunteer tourist police ID.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoePolice said:

There already is. And every one of them I know and are friends of mine. And they are all proffesional on duty.  And your  worst nigtmare if yo break the law because they all have their national volunteer tourist police ID.

so scary?.. or somchai would just shoot their unarmed BS

6 hours ago, lust said:

I can’t wait until there’s a bunch of English, Chinese, and Indian wanna-be police running around trying to extort anyone and everyone, just stroking the short shaft of Thailand in hopes of staying in the country. 

why is that a good thing to wait for?

25 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

***** me  they  have  enough men 10 times  over,  massively overstaffed like  the  army ... yet  they  "cant be everywhere"

delegating task to foreigners less to bother with...just bossing

10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

***** me  they  have  enough men 10 times  over,  massively overstaffed like  the  army ... yet  they  "cant be everywhere"

Actually that's incorrect. For instance , in Phuket alone during the High Season over a Million Tourists pass through the Gates of Phuket Airport in a month. there are roughly 200 Tourist Police Officers, and 30 Foreign Volunteers and 60 Thai Volunteers. Who Operate throughout the entire Province of Phuket.

12 Officers and 6 Volunteeers of which only 2 are Foreign nationals Patrol the Districts of Surin,  Bang Tao Thalang, Saku, Mai Kao all the way to the Sarasin bridge which is Roughly 235 Square Km to cover 

Considering that the local Population is only about 386,000 People. Tourists outnumber the locals almost 3 to 1 during High season.  and at times Police officera and Volunteers have to run triple shifts just to deal with the case load.

12 hours ago, JoePolice said:

I feel bad for you and your circle of friends.

8 minutes ago, JoePolice said:

Actually that's incorrect. For instance , in Phuket alone during the High Season over a Million Tourists pass through the Gates of Phuket Airport in a month. there are roughly 200 Tourist Police Officers, and 30 Foreign Volunteers and 60 Thai Volunteers. Who Operate throughout the entire Province of Phuket.

12 Officers and 6 Volunteeers of which only 2 are Foreign nationals Patrol the Districts of Surin,  Bang Tao Thalang, Saku, Mai Kao all the way to the Sarasin bridge which is Roughly 235 Square Km to cover 

Considering that the local Population is only about 386,000 People. Tourists outnumber the locals almost 3 to 1 during High season.  and at times Police officera and Volunteers have to run triple shifts just to deal with the case load.

That's not true. The number you quote are Thais registered in Phuket. It's estimated that there are a million Thais on Phuket with all the others still registered in their home province.

There is not a single month in the year where foreigners out-number the Thais on this island.

Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

That's not true. The number you quote are Thais registered in Phuket. It's estimated that there are a million Thais on Phuket with all the others still registered in their home province.

You are probably correct, which make the situation even worse.

16 hours ago, JoePolice said:

And your  worst nigtmare if yo break the law because they all have their national volunteer tourist police ID.

Luvely attitude. "Hey you tourist, break the law and we, the tourist 'police' will rip you a new one". Yes, that'll lure them in.

16 hours ago, JoePolice said:

Right. So, I presume you are working legally and have a work permit?

14 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Yes, of course. You should have a work permit. All other volunteer work requires one, even the volunteers after the tsunami had to get one, or stop work.

This subject has come up before, which is why I know you don't have one. A great example of an organization that is supposed to uphold the law, but, doesn't if it's in their own interest.

I have residency Mate. and every one of the Foreigners who volunteer have a work permit.

I'm not sure which fantasy world you're living in.

1 minute ago, JoePolice said:

I have residency Mate. and every one of the Foreigners who volunteer have a work permit.

Really? That surprises me. Of course, those work permits are specifically for working as a volunteer, right?

It's illegal to do work that is other than that which the permit was applied for.

Just now, JoePolice said:

I can't answer that without Inquiring, however I can only speak for myself.

Just edited my previous post stating that even if you have PR, you still need a work permit.

If you can only speak for yourself, do you have a work permit that states you are allowed to work as a volunteer policeman?

See link in previous post.

Just now, JoePolice said:

What is your point? 

That I don't think the police are following the law. No volunteers (and I've known a few) have ever got a work permit applied for by the RTP for volunteer work.

One of your posts stated that if you found a law breaker, you would whip out your ID and do something.

My point is that the volunteers are breaking the law themselves (with the connivance of your lords and masters).

The situation about police volunteers needing work permits was always side-stepped by the Thai police authorities stating that these volunteers did not need permits because they were doing volunteer work for the police...

I was never happy about this and did 'pester' my superiors to support my application for a volunteer work permit, to the point that they got a little angry with me.  At one point, I recall having a volunteer visa stamp in my passport because of my work as a police volunteer.  But getting the necessary documents from the Thai police in support of my volunteer visa application was like getting blood out of a stone ????

I don't recall any police volunteer ever being prosecuted for not having a volunteer visa or work permit.

It's the same with other volunteer work in Thailand.  Strictly speaking, you need a WP, but that can be overloooked if the relevant authorities are happy with you.  I have worked for years in Thailand as a volunteer teacher in my local communities.  I've never had a WP and I've never had any issues because of it.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, dcnx said:

They will learn complicated words like:

YOU!

Sta-op

pay now

this Thai-laaaaaan

show lice-en

no good

You pay 

up to me 

i big peepen 

You forgot

You know who me are

On 7/31/2019 at 5:56 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Indeed, if their past track record is any prediction of the future, the folks who gravitate toward this often are those who have ego/power trip complexes and get off on ordering others around and strutting around in uniforms with batons and such... And instead of actually helping tourists, usually end up using their positions to get involved in any variety of unsavory dealings.

It would actually be a good thing if Thailand could have a legitimate tourist police volunteers force (and I think it does exist in some areas) where good hearted folks mainly assist with translating and interfacing -- not out patrolling and enforcing.

But the problem here, I suspect, essentially comes down to the basic issue of how does a straight-up expat end up trying to do good honest service when they're working for the local version of Don Corleone and Co.....

You pretty right there, the solution is to have available a number of people available in different areas who can be on-call when needed - - as you said, to assist with translation, interface etc for anyone having any difficulties, that includes foreigners and Thai authorities. Have pretend tourist police on the streets is bullshit, rated at about the same level as security guards (pretend police, complete with uniforms, campaign ribbons, and wings) 

24 minutes ago, Afronaught said:

LOL @ nationality and Political ties... You must be an e-psychic not to mention the Foremost authority on Visas and work permits the way you're demanding Joe to validate himself on this discussion. The man spend his free time trying to do some good, but all you do is berate him.

You should be frikken proud of yourself

Bet you didn't look at the link in post #94.

When someone states that they will sort out an illegal activity when I know that they are not strictly 100% legal themselves, has to be pulled up it. Can't let that slide.

I'm not an authority on visas and work-permits; it's common knowledge. Your statement belies your ignorance on the subject.

Maybe you should go back to kissing the <deleted> of authority figures, you're very good at it.

44 minutes ago, Afronaught said:

Oooooh... so Keeping people safe from bad people... or preventing drunk drivers from killing innocent people on the roads are all nullified by the lack of a work permit....

next time a Volunteer Saves your life or Assists you in a situation be sure to ask them for a work permit before they help you.  

They do none of that. They assist and act as translators for the real police. But using the word “real” with police in Thailand is quite funny because even the real police are hopeless bafoons on the take.

I’ve never needed a police volunteer anywhere in the world. Also never seen them doing anything other than translate and pretend to be backup for the real police.

48 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I’ve never needed a police volunteer anywhere in the world. 

The whole idea is strange. Many countries have volunteers as "guides", nothing to do with police. In here they should be TAT volunteers and maybe wear a costume, I'd like to propose a pink tutu.

If they're just helping Tourists I think that is great but if they're harassing Tourists that's not great.
In which case they could be called Tourist Helpers or Volunteers or something not Cops and also they shouldn't need to carry any weapons or cuffs.
I only had one encounter with a Tourist Cop in Phuket and he give me a good impression.

Archived