Retirement visa extension financial requirements

9 minutes ago, gamini said:

I find it extraordinary that so many posters on this forum seem to think that paying an agent to put money into your account to get a retirement visa is perfectly legal.

I pointed out to some higher authority, that the "agent bypass" was being vastly promoted here. And the answer I got was: "Is it really illegal?". In my head I could help adding "T.I.T".

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 2

Due to the fact that corruption in immigration is a danger to any country's national security, this will eventually be dealt with in due time. Once they realize that corruption is continuing in spite of the seasoning tweaks part 2 will be along shortly. Hopefully they give those involved/caught up an opportunity to extend their visas in an aboveboard manner.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

OP wrote: "I also understand that a lot of immigration staff are involved. It's going to take time to resolve this issue."

Will never happen, get used to it, this is Thailand, a very corrupt country..

Agents work with IO staff, who 'put the money in the bank'. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

the uk embassy requirement was for original documents as proof of claimed income so i do not see why the service was terminated  like no copies and updated yearly  the embassy could easily have confirmed this with work and pensions uk

Are you sure that the UK Department of Work and Pensions is free to divulge this information to the Thai embassy?

1 hour ago, gamini said:

The government intends to put a stop to this and has already insisted that the full amount of  money be kept in your account for eight months and have bt400,000 for the balance four months. They hope that this will help put a stop to this practice. I can't see an agent getting around this easily.

The new rules came in in March.   Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference apart from increased use of agents.   If they wanted it stopped they would stop it.

• Like 2

the io didnt accept my pension letter,

and none of her additional invented proofs either.

i'll use an agent until im fit to leave.

agree it sucks to pay 10 x extra, but relocating with pain suck a whole lot more, and pain is my only priority,

when it comes to it

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Are you sure that the UK Department of Work and Pensions is free to divulge this information to the Thai embassy?

It would be the British Embassy in Thailand that required the information, not a Thai Embassy.  Even if UK state pension information could be communicated, lots of people have other income sources which would prove more problematic, and essentially unverifiable, which is why some are now in a pickle.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wilailuk said:

OP wrote: "I also understand that a lot of immigration staff are involved. It's going to take time to resolve this issue."

Will never happen, get used to it, this is Thailand, a very corrupt country..

Wishful thinking.

16 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

but the income stream does not meet the unimaginative definition of pension by the IO.

I know there are plenty of inter-office variations but this seems strange... my income is from property rental in my home country but it is considered pension income...

OP you don't seem to realise that before doing away with the verification letters (for Brits, USA,and AUS) we only needed to show we recived a pension or other financial income to get the year retirement extension. Now we actually have to bring that money into Thailand every month. Before I might transfer 120--150 thousand baht 1 month only 45,000 baht another. The 800,000 baht we deposited was supposed to be used to live on while we are here. Now of the 800,000 baht we can never touch/use 400,000 baht of it and 800,000 can't be used for 5 months. Just a way to keep foreign currency locked up in low interest paying Thai banks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

the embassy could easily have confirmed this with work and pensions uk

You are assuming that all the retiree's money was coming from th UK government. Private pension, rental incomes, etc. needed to be taken into account.

I get a feeling of deja vu !

4 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

OP you don't seem to realise that before doing away with the verification letters (for Brits, USA,and AUS) we only needed to show we recived a pension or other financial income to get the year retirement extension. Now we actually have to bring that money into Thailand every month. Before I might transfer 120--150 thousand baht 1 month only 45,000 baht another. The 800,000 baht we deposited was supposed to be used to live on while we are here. Now of the 800,000 baht we can never touch/use 400,000 baht of it and 800,000 can't be used for 5 months. Just a way to keep foreign currency locked up in low interest paying Thai banks.

Better to keep it in a Foreign Currency Account in GBP/USD/EUR while the Baht is so high.

15 hours ago, treetops said:

It would be the British Embassy in Thailand that required the information, not a Thai Embassy.  Even if UK state pension information could be communicated, lots of people have other income sources which would prove more problematic, and essentially unverifiable, which is why some are now in a pickle.

They must have other income sources because the UK State Pension is nowhere near 65k or £1750 a month.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flyvnsky said:
   16 hours ago,  gamini said: 

The government intends to put a stop to this and has already insisted that the full amount of  money be kept in your account for eight months and have bt400,000 for the balance four months. They hope that this will help put a stop to this practice. I can't see an agent getting around this easily.

Gamini you are not quite correct about the time the money has to remain in an account.

If you have been granted an extension for the purpose of retirement, THB800k or more must have been in account for 2 months before application for extension.  THB800k or more must then remain in account for three months after.

The amount may then be reduced to THB400k for 7 months and increased again to THB800k or more 2 months BEFORE next renewal application.

If or how this is checked by Immigration seems to be up to each office!  No doubt we will hear more before March 2020.

I am not convinced it is illegal to use an agent as somewhere in the law I believe it says that the financial requirements can be waived at the discretion of a senior officer.

I know not how the agent persuades an officer to do this.........?

good someone puts Gamini's obvious mistakes straight! 2 month before and 3 after, and never below 400k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TheThai said:

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand.  Do you also advocate the stopping/partaking of bar activities.  since the LAW IS THE LAW.  How do the bars exist ???? corruption.

It seems selective outrage with those who preach anti-corruption when applied to immigration but then go to bars where the same corruption is applied.

I'm not responsible for enforcing the law here, take your point up with those that are, I just abide by it.