Does my baby need a visa for uk

I was born in the Netherlands but have a british passport due to british father.

I am married to a Thai and have a child who both have a Thai passport. My name is on the birth certificate and my wife has taken my name.

I'm about to apply for visa for wife, but will I also need one for my baby? And if so which type?

Please let me know if further information is needed to get to the answer.

Thanks.

As far as I know British Citizenship for your child isn’t automatic as you are a UK National by descent, it’s fairly complicated.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent

When your child applies for a visa I believe they take a photo which is printed on the visa vignette, but don’t take fingerprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

As far as I know British Citizenship for your child isn’t automatic as you are a UK National by descent, it’s fairly complicated.

Unless the child is born in the UK it's not a UK National if the parent is only a UK National

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, elcaro said:

I was born in the Netherlands but have a british passport due to british father.

Unless you lived in the UK for 5 years (or was it three years), you can't pass on your British citizenship.

British by descent doesn't automatically get passed on.

Edited by BritManToo

Yeah I had been digging into citizenship but found out that would be tough. I can apply for it and will probably get accepted but costs a couple of thousand that I'd rather spend elsewhere at this time. 

I have lived for three years and combined five years, but there are even more little rules and regulations that need to be passed. And I'm sure Brexit won't make it easier.

Thanks for your replies. I will apply for two Visit Visas then.

Edited by elcaro

Yeah I know. I am flying to Netherlands myself for a day, when we are in uk, to pick up my birth certificate and will try to get him a Dutch passport this year. 

However the Netherlands apparently take away your Citizenship when you get another. And since I have a british passport we will have to see how this goes.

Edited by elcaro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, elcaro said:

Yeah I know. I am flying to Netherlands myself for a day, when we are in uk, to pick up my birth certificate and will try to get him a Dutch passport this year. 

However the Netherlands apparently take away your Citizenship when you get another. And since I have a british passport we will have to see how this goes.

best of luck  

• Thanks 1

I cannot think of any advantages a British passport would give the child over a Dutch one; and after Brexit Dutch citizenship will certainly be more advantageous and give more rights within the EU/EEA than British citizenship.

So in your position, if your child qualified for Dutch citizenship that's what I'd go for.

If not, or if you'd prefer them to be British, then read MN1 Registration as a British citizen– A guide about the registration of children under 18.

I don't know about The Netherlands, but once your child reaches the age of 18 it will no longer be possible to register them as British. If they want to be British they will have to apply and satisfy the requirements for naturalisation.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, Jip99 said:

That statement doesn't make sense.

UK Immigration policy.  

British Nationality is by birth or by descent.  In the former you are eligible for UK passport if born in UK.  If you are born overseas to a British National by birth you can claim your citizenship and passport BUT if you have children who are also born overseas they cannot.

UK Nationality Act of 1984 if my memory is correct.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

UK Immigration policy.  

British Nationality is by birth or by descent.  In the former you are eligible for UK passport if born in UK.  If you are born overseas to a British National by birth you can claim your citizenship and passport BUT if you have children who are also born overseas they cannot.

Now THAT statement does make sense.

BIG WARNING:

i was in a similar situation with my kids, who i wanted to take to holland to get them their passports.

Not sure if this all applies to you, but keep it in mind.

To get my kids in The Netherlands they need a dutch passport or a visa. As they have right to citizenship they cannot get a visa! I had to get them their passports at the dutch embassy or we would not be able to fly. 

Contact your embassy about this! We found out late after asking by email and luckily were able to go to bkk first to arrange all this (will take weeks).

Edited by Bob12345

BIG WARNING:
i was in a similar situation with my kids, who i wanted to take to holland to get them their passports.

Not sure if this all applies to you, but keep it in mind.

To get my kids in The Netherlands they need a dutch passport or a visa. As they have right to citizenship they cannot get a visa! I had to get them their passports at the dutch embassy or we would not be able to fly. 

Contact your embassy about this! We found out late after asking by email and luckily were able to go to bkk first to arrange all this (will take weeks).
For the UK too, if the child is eligible for a UK passport, they will not get a UK visa.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animalmagic said:

UK Immigration policy.  

He said that he was British by descent, having a Brit Father.  So your comment does not apply to the OP.  

19 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

He said that he was British by descent, having a Brit Father.  So your comment does not apply to the OP.  

I, like you, was responding to a comment by Jip99 and explaining UK Law.

UK Law does apply to OP.  He is British by descent not birth and therefore his child born overseas has no claim to British Citizenship.  There is a celebrity case in the distant past where Spike Milligan fell foul of this policy.

https://workpermit.com/immigration/united-kingdom/british-citizenship-descent-or-otherwise

• Thanks 1