Ginger Ale

was down at de recently opened local tescos an' lo...Schwepps Ginger Ale!...bought four cans an' was raving to de wife 'ye gotta try dis...wonderful...'

de wife later opened a can an' had a slurp, looked at me in puzzlement an' said tastes like Sprite...I grabbed de can an' fired down a draught an' yeah...tasted like Sprite :o:D:D

beware Schwepps Dry ginger ale in red-orangey colored cans...tastes like Sprite...

anyone seen any Canada Dry ginger?...it usually tastes like the real item even in de middle east...if I had sum around I would halve my daily vodka consumption...a Canada Dry ginger ale vanilla ice cream float; brings back days ob heaven at grandma's house in Nashville during summer vacation...

Tuts, if you are in India then it is as common as coke!

Don't remember seeing it around LOS though!

oh, boo hooo :o ...does this mean that tutsi has another item that he has to make himself? (tutsi weeps as he adds shredded fresh ginger and sugar to boddils ob Chang soda water...)

I mean, what do fancy hotels in BKK do when a drunken canuck comes in to de bar an' shouts that he wants a rye an' ginger?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

:o Poor Tutsi...I am now drinking "the champagne of ginger ales" and I raise my glass to you. Yep, it's gotta be Canada Dry or nothing. Never saw it in LOS and I never drank any of the soda pops after taking a swig of Sprite once. Enough sugar in that to give you diabetes.

How about a nice American cream soda float? Oh, yum.

:o Poor Tutsi...I am now drinking "the champagne of ginger ales" and I raise my glass to you. Yep, it's gotta be Canada Dry or nothing. Never saw it in LOS and I never drank any of the soda pops after taking a swig of Sprite once. Enough sugar in that to give you diabetes.

Definitely Canada Dry for me too. Tried the Sweppes when it first showed up here and thought great, Ginger Ale. Nah, something else altogether it seemed. Ice cream float, sure would be nice. :D

However, all was not lost - A&W Root Beer showed up on the shelves - so black cows now for me (believe some members know what that is). :D

Definitely Canada Dry for me too. Tried the Sweppes when it first showed up here and thought great, Ginger Ale. Nah, something else altogether it seemed. Ice cream float, sure would be nice. :D

However, all was not lost - A&W Root Beer showed up on the shelves - so black cows now for me (believe some members know what that is). :D

yeah...when I can find vanilla ice cream I'll do an A&W float, de wife likes dem as well...de kids turn up dere nose as they pretend that dey don't like root beer (a brutal, authoritarian tutsi towers over de recalcitrant stepdaughter an' shouts yew eat that float or I'm gonna whup yuh...)

sure wish I could find sum Canada Dry ginger...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I know about the taste. But, how is ginger beer different from ginger ale?

ye gotta look at the fizz...Canada Dry GA has commercial quality effervescence but a ginger beer like Vernors in the US has the taste an' aroma and is good on it's own but not suitable fer mixin'...

it's weird...in the UK ye can get boddles ob Schwepps from de super that taste OK and as DSK has mentioned also in India an' also in tiny countries in the Gulf...whattsamatta wid Thailand that they can't get it right???

there was a thread abou ginger beer a while bike - what i meant was how do they make ginger ale?

Can it be done at home?

Tuts, you can buy a highly concentrated canadian dry in the UK, maybe you could gget someone to send you some and then you can add soda - you get it for the soda stream!

ye gotta look at the fizz...Canada Dry GA has commercial quality effervescence but a ginger beer like Vernors in the US has the taste an' aroma and is good on it's own but not suitable fer mixin'...

it's weird...in the UK ye can get boddles ob Schwepps from de super that taste OK and as DSK has mentioned also in India an' also in tiny countries in the Gulf...whattsamatta wid Thailand that they can't get it right???

It may be a matter of country taste. We used to provision in Singapore and the tonic water there (Frazer & Neave) was that bitter it used to turn your face inside out. It would never have sold in the UK.

there was a thread abou ginger beer a while bike - what i meant was how do they make ginger ale?

Can it be done at home?

Tuts, you can buy a highly concentrated canadian dry in the UK, maybe you could gget someone to send you some and then you can add soda - you get it for the soda stream!

dunno...it's a patented process an' I'm sure that Canada Dry is as proprietary as Coke when it comes to the fixin's fer ginger ale...

seems to me that as wid home brewed beer yew couldn't get the fizz as wid a commercial product...

Hey Tuts, I got a recipe for the concentrate - you could make it here. Try making it without the stevis powder - never seen it here!

Syrup concentrate for the ale:

* 3 1/2 cups water

* 4-inch long piece of ginger, peeled & chopped

* 2 Tbsp vanilla flavoring

* 3 tsp lemon flavoring (non-alcoholic)

* 1/2 tsp stevia powder (or to taste)

Serving the Ale:

* 1 cup sparkling water or club soda per serving.

Directions:

Boil down the ginger in water for 10 minutes. Strain out ginger pieces and pour ginger juice into jar. Add vanilla and lemon flavorings and stevia. Let cool and store in refrigerator as a syrup concentrate. Add 1/8 - 1/4 cup of syrup to 6-8 oz of sparkling water and serve.

Source: Harvard University Website

It may be a matter of country taste. We used to provision in Singapore and the tonic water there (Frazer & Neave) was that bitter it used to turn your face inside out. It would never have sold in the UK.

wid tonic produced in Asia dere probably high dosin' wid quinine fer de antimalarial properties wid de resultant bitterness...ain't got de concern in other places, so yer right...

in thailand de locals don't give a toss about ginger ale...it'sa falang thing...it's enough to have sumpin' that tastes like Sprite in a different package fer marketing purposes...

Somchai to his pal: in Canada they mix their whiskey with ginger ale...(they prepare their drinks widde local Schwepps and imbibe...) Somchai: tastes like Sprite...? They ponder a bit then conclude: dem falangs sure is clazy... :o

seems to me that as wid home brewed beer yew couldn't get the fizz as wid a commercial product...

Chemistry department version > http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Chees...ger_Ale_Ag0.htm

excellent, tywais...will haveta check it out...I've hadta make most other things from scratch up here in de sticks so de ginger recipie shouldn't be much ob a challenge... :o

if you make some ginger tea , or buy some "tao huay" ( a strong ginger drink) from the street stalls that sell tofu , then mix either the cold tea or cold tao huay with soda water , you will get a reasonable approximation to ginger ale. the tao huay mixture will be sweet though.

now what about dandelion and burdock

if you make some ginger tea , or buy some "tao huay" ( a strong ginger drink) from the street stalls that sell tofu , then mix either the cold tea or cold tao huay with soda water , you will get a reasonable approximation to ginger ale. the tao huay mixture will be sweet though.

now what about dandelion and burdock

555 Never saw a dandelion in LOS. Burdock root? Thought that was for witches brews...eye of newt, testicle of black cat...what you making, TE?

dandelion and burdock , its a carbonated drink , used to be popular in the uk , (we used to drink it as kids because it made us belch like mad , to the consternation of all adults and teachers within hearing distance.)

it also tastes good , something between coke and root beer , and is a powerful diuretic .

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Tuts

I had a friend give me a bottle of Canadian Club and I don't have any mixer - so I looked up a recipe and had good results with this:

1/2 lb of diced 1/4 inch ginger

2 cups water

2 cups brownish suger

just stick everything in a pan and let it boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes and strain, voila good tasting ginger ale and it has a much nicer smell when you make it fresh. Just add soda for your fizz.

One thing, it only keeps a few days, so you better get drinking...

Hey Tuts

I had a friend give me a bottle of Canadian Club and I don't have any mixer - so I looked up a recipe and had good results with this:

1/2 lb of diced 1/4 inch ginger

2 cups water

2 cups brownish suger

just stick everything in a pan and let it boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes and strain, voila good tasting ginger ale and it has a much nicer smell when you make it fresh. Just add soda for your fizz.

One thing, it only keeps a few days, so you better get drinking...

rye an' ginger?...ol' tutsi down home on East Hastings wid de other gorillas...

I'll haveta try all the fab recipies when I get back to the ranch in Suphan...right now I'm in Saudi an' back on the soda an' grapefruit juice; a good non-alcoholic placebo for my favorite vodka concoction...sometimes I think that I can taste alcohol...dem arabs sure got nice packaged juices...

rye an' ginger?...ol' tutsi down home on East Hastings wid de other gorillas...

Tutsi, you would not want to go there now, unless you maybe went to the Legion way up East Hastings in Burnaby Heights. Anywhere near Main and you're likely to rolled, beaten and knifed. Real nice for an Olympic city to be.

:o