Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Scots favour independence from United Kingdom, Ashcroft poll shows

snoop1130

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2019 at 10:02 PM, puipuitom said:

A Brexiteer does not have the faintest idea about statistics and hypothesis testing. Only... "we won". 

and remainers still give their own , and often stupid opinions, without any facts to back them up !

12 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Btw, I am British and my ancestors have been British since... ooh... the dark ages when Britain was nothing but bog and forest. How about yours?

They are just being beastly to you - you are funny - hilarious in fact. The Dark ages are  generally considered to be 5c to 10c AD. No one can trace their ancestors back to this period, apart from being "British" you could have been an Angle, Saxon, or Jute (Germanic tribes), or Viking, or a later Flemish or Norman immigrant. Britain was nothing but bog and forest after the end of the last glacial period in the current Ice Age circa 10,000BC, people started arriving in Britain over the next few 1,000 years. You are trying to equate two things 10,000 years apart. Jesus wept. 

16 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Ok.

I'll just join that long line of Johnny Foreigners you want to see 'out' as well.

P.S. Been out for a long time. Hint; this is a Thai ex-pat forum.

I meant Scotland should get out of the Union.

Well, tell you what... as Ronnie Corbet was Scottish - and we all love Ronnie -  you can stay.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, Nigel Garvie said:

For a start could you quote a real newspaper for a change, not a sad Tory party rag,  one that has a huge axe to grind, and the dubious distinction of employing the same lying buffoon twice.

It has been made clear, over the past year or so, by a  number of senior EU representatives, that they do not see that Scotland would have any difficulty joining promptly on the simple logical basis that their law on trade standards, human rights, workers rights etc is already the same as EU law, where necessary. 

A Senior Spanish minister said just the other day that Scotland joining would cause no problem, so kindly deposit that BS Catalonia fear story to the bucket. Where is France's "Independence movement" BTW, is it quorate?

so we would add another loser to the EU, one that will go cap in hand expecting other countries like the UK, if still in the EU, to help pay for their frivolous lifestyle and debts

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

so we would add another loser to the EU, one that will go cap in hand expecting other countries like the UK, if still in the EU, to help pay for their frivolous lifestyle and debts

I posted this on the 10th August, give us a break, why did you take nearly a month to reply. The topic has moved on.

2 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

They are just being beastly to you - you are funny - hilarious in fact. The Dark ages are  generally considered to be 5c to 10c AD. No one can trace their ancestors back to this period, apart from being "British" you could have been an Angle, Saxon, or Jute (Germanic tribes), or Viking, or a later Flemish or Norman immigrant. Britain was nothing but bog and forest after the end of the last glacial period in the current Ice Age circa 10,000BC, people started arriving in Britain over the next few 1,000 years. You are trying to equate two things 10,000 years apart. Jesus wept. 

Thank you, I know when the dark ages were. Our ancestors can be mapped genetically going back quite a way - I wasn't pretending to know their names. And unless you've checked the Ordnance Survey map for the year 500 AD, I stick by my assumption that Britain was largely bog and forest at that time. Much of Scotland is still bog and forest - though mainly bog. Boom boom.

13 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I meant Scotland should get out of the Union.

Well, tell you what... as Ronnie Corbet was Scottish - and we all love Ronnie -  you can stay.

I need neither your permission nor your condescension. 

I get that you're trying to be funny but I think the problem is you're about as funny as syphilis.

P.S. I know what you meant and again we don't need your permission IF we decided to go that route. 

8 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Thank you, I know when the dark ages were. Our ancestors can be mapped genetically going back quite a way - I wasn't pretending to know their names. And unless you've checked the Ordnance Survey map for the year 500 AD, I stick by my assumption that Britain was largely bog and forest at that time. Much of Scotland is still bog and forest - though mainly bog. Boom boom.

Of course he knows all this because he's a high brow intellectual who uses words such as 'pusillanimity' in his everyday language.

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I need neither your permission nor your condescension. 

I get that you're trying to be funny but I think the problem is you're about as funny as syphilis.

P.S. I know what you meant and again we don't need your permission IF we decided to go that route. 

The exchange has been instructive.

Just to add. If anyone 'insults' me, I should consider I have found a friend.

Imagine the fury if the EU made this statement to the UK ahead of the Brexit referendum:

Scottish independence: Boris Johnson insists he won’t grant Section 30 order

[The Prime Minister] "told Nationalists he will not agree to a Section 30 order to grant an independence referendum in Scotland during a trip to Aberdeenshire - even if the SNP enjoys a landslide victory in a snap election."

10 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

When are the English going to get a vote on kicking Scotland out of the UK.

Lots of reasons, principle amongst them being the fact that England does not own the UK.

What England could do, however, is be brave and leave the UK - go it alone and try to stand on its own two feet for once.

They'll do anything to cling to EU employment and trade. At least the English have some self respect trying to rid themselves of the EU politics.

They were never stupid enough to suffer the Euro.

Five years the whole thing is done. Once UK is out southern Europe will follow.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

They'll do anything to cling to EU employment and trade. At least the English have some self respect trying to rid themselves of the EU politics.

They were never stupid enough to suffer the Euro.

Five years the whole thing is done. Once UK is out southern Europe will follow.

At least the English have some self respect trying to rid themselves of the EU politics.

This is possibly the most historically unaware comment that could possibly be made with reference to the the relationship between the English and the Scots over the centuries.

3 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Do you think the Frogs would welcome a bunch of Sweaties with their anti catholic sectarian bigotry? 'A scotsman walks into a bar...every body leaves..

Your lack of knowledge of the history of Scotland and France is as lamentable as your lack of knowledge of contemporary Scotland.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7475073/Fewer-three-ten-Scots-support-second-independence-referendum.html

Latest poll from Survation showing a 59/41 split against independence. 

Interesting that the Indy question was changed to a EuroRef remain/leave option, rather than the yes/no of IndyRef1 which many suspect gave the 'yes' campaign an advantage.  

If IndyRef2 gets the nod, I would expect a bit of a bun fight over the question to be asked.

7 minutes ago, dabhand said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7475073/Fewer-three-ten-Scots-support-second-independence-referendum.html

Latest poll from Survation showing a 59/41 split against independence. 

Interesting that the Indy question was changed to a EuroRef remain/leave option, rather than the yes/no of IndyRef1 which many suspect gave the 'yes' campaign an advantage.  

If IndyRef2 gets the nod, I would expect a bit of a bun fight over the question to be asked.

Certainly that poll flies in the face of all other polls of late. That it was commissioned by Scotland in Union with very dubious, non standard wording, might raise some eyebrows and prevent the champagne corks flying in the households of more nuanced unionists.

It also makes one sceptical of recent polls which predict the SNP to take almost all Scottish seats when our woeful Westminster government finally implodes. 

All the above aside, what utterly rotten journalism from the Daily Mail - partisanship aside, imagine spending years studying to be an objective, fact driven journalist and you end up writing such biased propaganda as this:

"It revealed that the vast majority of Scots want to remain in the Union and are against destroying the 312-year-old partnership."

IMG_20190918_154337.jpg

16 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

...but will Shetland want to remain in Scotland? Time for a referendum for an independent Shetland!

Certainly the Lib Dems won your by election last month, but with a drop of almost 20% in votes. The SNP came a not too distant 2nd with a gain of over 9%. I think both the Tories and Labour lost their deposits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not my photo (I stole it from twitter user @lllllinda) but a shot of the lower end of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh yesterday - the largest march for independence ever seen in Scotland. Estimates of the number of marchers is unclear. I am not sure if I believe the 200k some are talking about, but one thing I am most certain about - independence is coming... IMG_20191006_180213.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Not my photo (I stole it from twitter user @lllllinda) but a shot of the lower end of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh yesterday - the largest march for independence ever seen in Scotland. Estimates of the number of marchers is unclear. I am not sure if I believe the 200k some are talking about, but one thing I am most certain about - independence is coming... IMG_20191006_180213.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

the sooner the better 555

Archived