The Rules of Lakorn

Kinnock

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

....... have I missed anything?

The money/status aspect. I know it is obvious but you should include it. So, the rule is

if a white-skinned, virtuous to the point of virginal, charitable, polite, softly-spoken, yet poor and lowly hotty is introduced in episode 1, she won't be poor and lowly by the end of episode 24.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The money/status aspect. I know it is obvious but you should include it. So, the rule is

if a white-skinned, virtuous to the point of virginal, charitable, polite, softly-spoken, yet poor and lowly hotty is introduced in episode 1, she won't be poor and lowly by the end of episode 24.

Ah yes - spot on!  

6 hours ago, timendres said:

And there will be an obligatory scene of the Nang Ek accidentally tripping and falling into the arms of Pah Ek, where their eyes will meet and the scene will nearly freeze for a breathtaking moment.

Ah yes - and the 12 slow motion replays of that moment.

"...... have I missed anything?"

There is always someone to be visited in hospital.

Any hero or heroine who is "of farming stock" is remarkably untanned and possessed of a perfect, full set of teeth.

Lakorn reflect, interpret, re-enforce and seek to both obfuscate and construct the reality of Thai contemporary society.

They are valuable documents for the enquiring foreigner to study.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

"...... have I missed anything?"

There is always someone to be visited in hospital.

Any hero or heroine who is "of farming stock" is remarkably untanned and possessed of a perfect, full set of teeth.

Lakorn reflect, interpret, re-enforce and seek to both obfuscate and construct the reality of Thai contemporary society.

They are valuable documents for the enquiring foreigner to study.

Yes - how could I forget the obligatory hospital visit.  And it's always in a private room with a heart monitor beeping in the background.

Just once I'd like to see the patient taking a whiz in a bed-pan while the concerned family sits around the bed .... but somehow I doubt this will ever happen.

Or perhaps a bed bath for 'Ya Ya' Urassaya Sperbund?

Gay Man

Possibly a Ladyboy as well

Screaming

Mia Noi

Evil Woman (often older MIL)

Good Girl

Face  Slapping

Dramatic Music

Gunfight, nobody ever seems to get hit

Perfect Hair

Hospital Vist

Perfect hair again....in Hospital bed

Bandage around the head...without it appears damaging perfect hair

Guys fighting, keeping perfect hair, and never seeming to get a bruise, accompanied by lots of grunting

In case of injury, slight stream of blood from corner of mouth

More screaming

Face Slapping

Women's clothes, which I've never seen on anyone shopping in Big C

TV House with lots of gaudy gold furniture

Groveling maids 

...Oh I forgot add a Porsche or Ferrari, both very popular in Isaan LOL

I think that about sums it up

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, Puchaiyank said:

If you took away their guns and knives...the screaming and slapping...no one would watch...infantile minds feed off this stuff...????

Lighten up. Its a soap opera! And like all soap operas all over the world are trivial but in an odd way reflect some of a nation's culture and values.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Lighten up. Its a soap opera! And like all soap operas all over the world are trivial but in an odd way reflect some of a nation's culture and values.

The only difference is that Thai Lakorns are all in primetime. The majority of Western Soaps  air in Daytime TV.

Although, Telemundo in US, airs it's fair share of Mexican Telenovela's in Primetime, and they are not a lot different to lakorns

Although strangely the breasts and cleavage are a lot, lot bigger! 

• Haha 2

A really great thread, makes me chuckle.

Often glance over Mrs F's shoulder & see the malarkey she's watching with wide eyes, & me with disbelief. 555

Isn't their often an older person, who isn't that old but has had too much make up applied to age them?

Sometimes I've seen a fake Chinese person too. I think.

• Thanks 1

I don't want to speculate as to what tragic road has brought you guys to know intimately the details of Thai soaps. I suspect I was fortunate to find a lady who never ever watches Thai TV. But this thread is brilliant just the same.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I don't want to speculate as to what tragic road has brought you guys to know intimately the details of Thai soaps. I suspect I was fortunate to find a lady who never ever watches Thai TV. But this thread is brilliant just the same.

We try to not watch it - but it sort of seeps in to your mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least 50% of the cast are hi-so, so reflects the true situation in Thailand .....???? .

There is never any plastic rubbish on the ground or the beach ....

There are no alcoholics, yabba druggies or people with obvious mental issues in the extras. And no dog shit on the ground.

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

We try to not watch it - but it sort of seeps in to your mind.

I think the CIA could adopt Thai Lakorns in their interrogation methods, and the breaking  of terrorist suspects.

Sensory depravation and forced to watch lakorns for days, is enough to break any man.

Look at most of us; we're all well 'conditioned' lol

• Haha 1