Money Transfer into Thailand

Western Union cancels Money transfers to Thailand from USA!!! Says transfer to Thailand too High Risk;   What is happening in Thailand??

I like many of the retired expats in the Kingdom are trying to deal with the Immigration Departments new rules and regulations for the monthly income transfer of 65,000 Baht into Bangkok Bank as a FFT (Foreign Fund Transfer). I have been unsuccessful the past three months. The transfers, winds up going through some unknown 3rd party Thai Bank that takes a 500 baht fee which is deducted from the transfer amount and arrives 7 days later as a local currency transfer. It is late, wrong amount and not recorded as a FFT transfer. I have tried banks, and transfer companies all with the same nonsense. At first I thought it was my mistake and I was extremely careful in making the next transfers.  I now realize that I will lose my retirement visa as the transfer do not meet Immigration standards. Now I tried to transfer money into Thailand by Western Union as we all have done before.  I did the first transfer on line, it was completed and a TCN number was issued;  within 10 minutes I get notified that the transfer is placed on hold and to call WU to provide additional information.  I called them and was questioned about who I was sending the funds to; how long we knew each other, etc.  I was placed on hold and they come back saying they cancelled the transfer as it was too high risk for WU to transfer into Thailand.  The next day I go to their agent in person made the same transfer in cash, I get TCN # and then same thing happens everything put on hold same questions and same result transfer cancelled as it was too high risk for WU to transfer into Thailand now.  All this is very scripted.  This is not just my individual transaction but a standard scripted WU response.  

I cannot help but think something is going on.   Just my observation.

It is all fed by a combination of corruption, indiscipline, no accountability, incompetence, criminality within the public sector and a government where no ministry or agency liaises with, shares information with or trusts any other ministry or agency.

The good news is it could be a hell of a lot worse like Cambodia or a country in west Africa.

For your retirement extension, use an agent. (It's what they want you to do)

13 hours ago, usmike said:

I called them and was questioned about who I was sending the funds to; how long we knew each other, etc.

I don't understand - if you are sending them to yourself - IE an account in your name?

Have you read the other threads on here about transfers - if not perhaps you should. Most Thai banks charge min 200 max 500 depending on amount to receive foreign funds into a Thai baht account.

If true about WU (which I would be surprised) many "ladies" will be in even more desperate straights with the lack of transfers.........

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Or if affordable bung 800k in 3 months before (now supposed to be 2 but extra month to be safe.......)

On 8/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, Briggsy said:

No "they" dont. In fact unscrupulous agents have caused issues getting people extensions that did not have income, or proper amount in bank.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Clarity