Illegal Police Stop

PST

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your missing the point, regardless if you have lived here for 17 years.

A) You were not wearing a helmet, sure some cops don't give a rat$, and allow Thai's to get off Scot free, however as you know around school times finishing they are out there and everybody usually gets a fine, Thai's included.

You say you have an IDP, well got news for you, unless your on a tourist visa it ain't good because after 60-90 days of you new extension (visa) as some call it, you need a Thai drivers/riders licence.

Suggest you pay the fine and learn from your experience as rattled as you are, it's their country, their laws, and the fines are cheaper than the local young ladies, and please don't go down the path of principal, been where your coming from, now I just yawn and cough up the spare change when comparing the fines in the land of Oz, not to mention the no pint system they have here, so I can keep getting booked as much as I don't like...lol 

This was 7.30am. As previously discussed, he obviously thought I was a lone tourist, tried to say I ran a red light, then when I spoke Thai to him and explained the lights weren't working, he changed his tact and booked me for no helmet ( after following me for 200 yards after the lights).

I'm far from rattled, my post was simply to decipher whether the stop process was right, some say it was, some say it wasn't. I'll simply pay the fine for no helmet, however will argue the point on being fined for no license, as I was never asked to produce one.

Also happily married with 2 kids here, so don't and have never used 'local young ladies'

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PST said:

This was 7.30am. As previously discussed, he obviously thought I was a lone tourist, tried to say I ran a red light, then when I spoke Thai to him and explained the lights weren't working, he changed his tact and booked me for no helmet ( after following me for 200 yards after the lights).

I'm far from rattled, my post was simply to decipher whether the stop process was right, some say it was, some say it wasn't. I'll simply pay the fine for no helmet, however will argue the point on being fined for no license, as I was never asked to produce one.

He can change his tact, he's a cop, he is the law in Thailand, accept that and the better off you will be.

He can say he asked you for your licence and you didn't have one, that's why he fined you, remember, he is a cop and you are in Thailand, he is the law.

A big pill to swallow I know, but it is what it is and yes it urks me, but if you hold onto this, you own it, as soon as you let it go, the better you will feel, don't hold onto his crap.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

He can change his tact, he's a cop, he is the law in Thailand, accept that and the better off you will be.

He can say he asked you for your licence and you didn't have one, that's why he fined you, remember, he is a cop and you are in Thailand, he is the law.

A big pill to swallow I know, but it is what it is and yes it urks me, but if you hold onto this, you own it, as soon as you let it go, the better you will feel, don't hold onto his crap.

As ive said, no big deal for me, and most definitely no pill to swallow, you seem more urked than me if im honest

Thanks anyway.

4 minutes ago, PST said:

As ive said, no big deal for me, and most definitely no pill to swallow, you seem more urked than me if im honest

Thanks anyway.

Only urked because I thought you were urked over this cop, all good ????

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only urked because I thought you were urked over this cop, all good ????

All good, I just wanted peoples opinion.

Cheers, Admin, feel free to delete/close this thread as matter resolved.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, as you were riding illegally, he was perfectly within his rights to issue you a ticket for having no helmet. 

But the cop was not on "No Helmet Duty"   how unfair is that?  Probably off for his lunch and spotted an easy target

1 minute ago, johng said:

But we want to know if you where able to avoid the fine for no licence or not    ??????

Yes, I was, as per my post on the last page, and my post asking Admin to close or delete this thread.

2 hours ago, PST said:

License wasn't even mentioned, just written as a fine, and an IDP is fine, used one for the last 12 years.

It would be very unusual for a traffic cop to do a stop and not ask for the licence, but we'll let that go.

An IDP is NOT a licence. If you've been here for more than 90 days you MUST have a Thai licence to ride legally. Just as well you hadn't had an accident.

Fair cop as far as I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

It would be very unusual for a traffic cop to do a stop and not ask for the licence, but we'll let that go.

An IDP is NOT a licence. If you've been here for more than 90 days you MUST have a Thai licence to ride legally. Just as well you hadn't had an accident.

Fair cop as far as I'm concerned.

currently been here for 74 days, so IDP is valid, and didn't need to pay license fine when I presented it at the cop shop

12 minutes ago, PST said:

currently been here for 74 days, so IDP is valid, and didn't need to pay license fine when I presented it at the cop shop

Well, you were therefor lucky in that BIB did not understand the law regarding licences.

I repeat, an IDP is NOT a licence to ride, It must be accompanied by a valid licence.

I would suggest you get that sorted before you have an accident.

2 hours ago, PST said:

Happy to pay helmet fine, but not license.

Thre should be no fine if you present the IDP and current foreign licence at the cop shop. Just pay for the lack of helmet. I strongly suggest you wear one, after some of the carnage I've seen caused by collisions with trucks, pickups, etc. 

Just now, mahjongguy said:

For what it's worth, malfunctioning traffic signals are to be treated as a 4-way stop.

The give way rules are not the same as some other countries, so it's best to read up on them too - e.g. give way to the left (not the right, as in Australia). But noone follows that here anyway:) Whoever has the biggest and/or most expensive vehicle has right of way.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well, you were therefor lucky in that BIB did not understand the law regarding licences.

I repeat, an IDP is NOT a licence to ride, It must be accompanied by a valid licence.

I would suggest you get that sorted before you have an accident.

it was presented with a current UK license

Archived