Three Thai airports being renovated to double passenger volumes

snoop1130

Three Thai airports being renovated to double passenger volumes

By Tanutam Thawan

PrivateSuratThaniInternationalAirportTransfersURTforSuratThaniandNearbyCities.jpg

PHOTO: Surat Thani Airport will be doubled in capacity

Krabi, Buriram and Surat Thani provincial airports are getting a makeover to double their capacities in 2020, with a combined budget of 11.3 billion baht.

Krabi airport will be renovated and expanded to handle double its capacity. The new terminal will be able to handle 8 million passengers a year.

A second passenger terminal will be built at Buriram airport in Thailand’s Northeast costing 700 million baht.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/three-thai-airports-being-renovated-to-double-passenger-volumes

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-08-07
  • Like 1

Just hope they do better planning than we have at CNX. When you change the building to have more people flying dont forget they need more vehicle parking spaces. Last time I went to CNX airport to pick up SWOMBO I went around 4 times looking for parking; nothing. Ended up parking at a shopping centre and walking 15 minutes to the airport.

Great idea. Expand the airports at the same time the writing is on the wall that flight traffic could possibly decline. 

Maybe TAT supplied the justifying traffic figures to support expansion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Great idea. Expand the airports at the same time the writing is on the wall that flight traffic could possibly decline. 

Maybe TAT supplied the justifying traffic figures to support expansion. 

Why will decline? 

Flying get more popular with thai people now. Air Asia, nok air, lion air, vietjet, now so cheap. 

cheaper than drive, safer than drive, faster than drive.

• Like 1

How irresponsible of Thailand, blithely planning to up its carbon footprint when we only have 12 years to save the planet from burning to a crisp.

Expect flight delays as witches and wizards from the local Extinction Rebellion coven start superglueing themselves to the runways in protest.

Edited by Krataiboy

5 hours ago, Muhendis said:

When I first came to Buriram there were three flights per week to Bangkok flying by PB air. Then, after PB went bust, there was nothing for a couple of years. Now there are five flights per day, seven days per week, and usually all full. Buriram is booming so the need is there.

I flew into Buriram with Thai then Air Andaman. The terminal needs to be expanded. Not sure if the apron expansion to handle 6 a/c has finished. Could do with at least doubling the car park also.

6 hours ago, Muhendis said:

When I first came to Buriram there were three flights per week to Bangkok flying by PB air. Then, after PB went bust, there was nothing for a couple of years. Now there are five flights per day, seven days per week, and usually all full. Buriram is booming so the need is there.

Very disappointing to hear that there are not plans to make Buriram an International airport . One flight a day or even 2 or 3 a week to the middle east would benefit many in Issan . Couple of years ago there was speculation that such an airport was to be built between Surin and Prasat but was changed to Buriram but alas it seems to be staying as a provincial airport .

6 hours ago, legend49 said:

Just hope they do better planning than we have at CNX. When you change the building to have more people flying dont forget they need more vehicle parking spaces. Last time I went to CNX airport to pick up SWOMBO I went around 4 times looking for parking; nothing. Ended up parking at a shopping centre and walking 15 minutes to the airport.

when they built the air traffic control centre in London's West Drayton many years back, they looked at how many people were on shift at any one time and then provided that number of parking places.  Of course, what they didn't cater for was shift changeover, when they needed at least half as many again. There is no accounting for short sightedness and planners often exhibit that trait, especially where airport planning is concerned.  Just look at the arrival meeting area, post customs,  at BKK; enough said.  

7 hours ago, legend49 said:

As usual-no planning ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, superal said:

Very disappointing to hear that there are not plans to make Buriram an International airport . One flight a day or even 2 or 3 a week to the middle east would benefit many in Issan . Couple of years ago there was speculation that such an airport was to be built between Surin and Prasat but was changed to Buriram but alas it seems to be staying as a provincial airport .

Buriram airport was built in around 1987 if memory serves me well. Originally slated to be built north of Phra Khon Chai but political interests placed where it is today. Surin airport did operate briefly with Air Andaman in the 90s .Subsequent attempts over the last decade to reopen it have failed. I even have an old 1988 Bangkok Airways timetable with Surin penciled in as a proposed route. Prayut last talked about the new Surin airport, the one 7km north of Prasat as late as April(?) 2018 when he was in Surin and said that 42 million baht was being allocated for a feasibility study. I feel no further comment is necessary as to when that will be published.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tso310 said:

Buriram airport was built in around 1987 if memory serves me well. Originally slated to be built north of Phra Khon Chai but political interests placed where it is today. Surin airport did operate briefly with Air Andaman in the 90s .Subsequent attempts over the last decade to reopen it have failed. I even have an old 1988 Bangkok Airways timetable with Surin penciled in as a proposed route. Prayut last talked about the new Surin airport, the one 7km north of Prasat as late as April(?) 2018 when he was in Surin and said that 42 million baht was being allocated for a feasibility study. I feel no further comment is necessary as to when that will be published.

Yes , that did happen and land for the runway was bought apparently . There were meetings with local villages and I seem to recall that an Airbus 320 was to be used by Emirates . If you remember Prayuth Chanocha made a visit to Buriram football stadium last year on his election campaign . It was then that  I believe the local business / ex politician   Mr. Nevin spoke  to and persuaded P/C to alter the plans and develop the Buriram airport . Well the only disappointing thing is no international flights to happen or maybe the Prasat  project is still alive ?